Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Bright light in sky?

Bright light in sky?

crashbang1

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> who'sthat wrote:
>>> No, you can't see the ISS with the naked eye unless you know exactly
>>> where to look and then it would only be a small dot.

>> And it would be moving a lot faster than the stars and planets even
>> if you could see it.

> Yes, you can see it with the naked eye. Sure, it has to be a very clear
> night.
>
> http://www.esa.int/esaHS/ESA0I6KE43D_iss_0.html
> "Spotting the ISS with the naked eye is not as difficult as it might
> seem - providing you know in which direction to look. Although the ISS
> travels at a speed of 7.7 km per second it is in one of the lowest
> orbits possible - an approximate 390 km above our heads - and thanks to
> its large solar wings it is one of the brightest ‘stars’ making it
> fairly easy to distinguish as it visibly moves across the night sky."

Its Venus

who'sthat

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 03:10:03 +0100, crashbang1
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>> And it would be moving a lot faster than the stars and planets even
>>> if you could see it.

>> Yes, you can see it with the naked eye. Sure, it has to be a very clear
>> night.
>>
>> http://www.esa.int/esaHS/ESA0I6KE43D_iss_0.html
>> "Spotting the ISS with the naked eye is not as difficult as it might
>> seem - providing you know in which direction to look. Although the ISS
>> travels at a speed of 7.7 km per second it is in one of the lowest
>> orbits possible - an approximate 390 km above our heads - and thanks to
>> its large solar wings it is one of the brightest ‘stars’ making it
>> fairly easy to distinguish as it visibly moves across the night sky."
>>

>Its Venus

I figured it was a planet..that's why I mentioned that the sites I
pointed out would tell him that.

Blinky the Shark

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> who'sthat wrote:
>>> No, you can't see the ISS with the naked eye unless you know exactly
>>> where to look and then it would only be a small dot.

>> And it would be moving a lot faster than the stars and planets even
>> if you could see it.

> Yes, you can see it with the naked eye. Sure, it has to be a very clear
> night.
>
> http://www.esa.int/esaHS/ESA0I6KE43D_iss_0.html
> "Spotting the ISS with the naked eye is not as difficult as it might
> seem - providing you know in which direction to look. Although the ISS
> travels at a speed of 7.7 km per second it is in one of the lowest
> orbits possible - an approximate 390 km above our heads - and thanks to
> its large solar wings it is one of the brightest ?stars? making it
> fairly easy to distinguish as it visibly moves across the night sky."

Echo 1 was the first one I ever saw up there with only me eyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echo_satellite

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

DemoDisk

"kráftéé" <kraftee@b&e-cottee.me.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> pete wrote:
> > I live near the east coast and just lately I have noticed a very
> > bright light in the sky. It is roughly in the East and appears to be
> > too bright to be a star. Does anyone know what it is?
> > pete

> It can't be that time already, I have had a chance to repent all my
> sins yet.... o;-(

We can help. Tell us all about them!

pete

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 19:13:27 -0500, who'sthat
<who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 00:59:35 +0100, pete <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:10:16 -0500, who'sthat
>><who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote:

>>>http://www.space.com/spacewatch/easy_east_021002.html
>>>
>>>And now you won't need Google
>>>http://www.space.com/images/all_sky_map_0209_02.jpg

>>Thanks but I don't think it is a star etc. I was wondering if the
>>space lab could be around that area?
>>pete
>>http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/
>>http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipswich

>The sites I sent will also point out planets.
>No, you can't see the ISS with the naked eye unless you know exactly
>where to look and then it would only be a small dot.

Going by the chart you posted it seems to be Jupiter.
pete
http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipswich

Ponder

Hiya who'sthat.

In <news:(E-Mail Removed) > you wrote:

> The sites I sent will also point out planets.
> No, you can't see the ISS with the naked eye unless you know exactly
> where to look and then it would only be a small dot.

It also moves quite fast.

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

pete

On 22 Sep 2007 00:19:51 GMT, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>who'sthat wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 00:59:35 +0100, pete <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Thanks but I don't think it is a star etc. I was wondering if the
>>>space lab could be around that area?
>>>pete
>>>http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/
>>>http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipswich

>> The sites I sent will also point out planets.
>> No, you can't see the ISS with the naked eye unless you know exactly
>> where to look and then it would only be a small dot.

>And it would be moving a lot faster than the stars and planets even if
>you could see it.

Well that has knocked that theory on the head then as this appears
stationary.
pete
http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipswich

pete

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 01:46:08 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> who'sthat wrote:
>>> No, you can't see the ISS with the naked eye unless you know exactly
>>> where to look and then it would only be a small dot.

>> And it would be moving a lot faster than the stars and planets even
>> if you could see it.

>Yes, you can see it with the naked eye. Sure, it has to be a very clear
>night.
>
>http://www.esa.int/esaHS/ESA0I6KE43D_iss_0.html
>"Spotting the ISS with the naked eye is not as difficult as it might
>seem - providing you know in which direction to look. Although the ISS
>travels at a speed of 7.7 km per second it is in one of the lowest
>orbits possible - an approximate 390 km above our heads - and thanks to
>its large solar wings it is one of the brightest ‘stars’ making it
>fairly easy to distinguish as it visibly moves across the night sky."

Everything fits but what I am looking at each night lately is

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>> And it would be moving a lot faster than the stars and planets even
>>> if you could see it.

>> Yes, you can see it with the naked eye. Sure, it has to be a very clear
>> night.
>>
>> http://www.esa.int/esaHS/ESA0I6KE43D_iss_0.html
>> "Spotting the ISS with the naked eye is not as difficult as it might
>> seem - providing you know in which direction to look. Although the ISS
>> travels at a speed of 7.7 km per second it is in one of the lowest
>> orbits possible - an approximate 390 km above our heads - and thanks to
>> its large solar wings it is one of the brightest ‘stars’ making it
>> fairly easy to distinguish as it visibly moves across the night sky."
>>

>Its Venus

Really!

pete wrote:
> On 22 Sep 2007 00:19:51 GMT, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>who'sthat wrote:

>>> The sites I sent will also point out planets.
>>> No, you can't see the ISS with the naked eye unless you know exactly
>>> where to look and then it would only be a small dot.

>>And it would be moving a lot faster than the stars and planets even if
>>you could see it.

> Well that has knocked that theory on the head then as this appears
> stationary.
> pete
> http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipswich

Say, those links look familiar. :-/

That said, hasn't anyone ever heard of the "morning star"/"evening star"
-- Venus? Sheesh. It didn't just happen.