Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Stop Wacom "TabletService" without getting "bad driver" messages?

Stop Wacom "TabletService" without getting "bad driver" messages?

-Lost

The Wacom Tablet I have has software that installs itself as a
Windows service, well, when not using my tablet for long periods of
time I shut off the service instead of letting it run constantly.

This results in EVERY application that can utilize a tablet,
resulting in a message:

[titlebar]
"Tablet Driver"
[message]
"There is a problem with your tablet driver. Please reboot your
system. If the problem persists reinstall or update the driver."

The immediate solution is obviously just restart "TabletService" in
the services dialog, but I would love it if anyone knew a way around
this.

Oh, and I talked to a technical support guy at Wacom and he was not
even aware of what I was talking about. After explaining it, it took
him and his "help desk" software at least a minute to locate the
services-related entry and he then proceeded to quote me the steps on
reinstalling the Tablet service again so that it would be functional.

So, any ideas?

Thanks!

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

Gazwad

-Lost <(E-Mail Removed)>, the deranged-cadger and bizarre
sherlock wet-crack who likes wretched ferret fiddling with wolves, and
whose partner is a fast-girl with a naked oval office, wrote in
<Xns99B29D0E7FCF2lostthreads@216.196.97.136>:
> The Wacom Tablet I have has software that installs itself as a
> Windows service, well, when not using my tablet for long periods of
> time I shut off the service instead of letting it run constantly.
>
> This results in EVERY application that can utilize a tablet,
> resulting in a message:
>
> [titlebar]
> "Tablet Driver"
> [message]
> "There is a problem with your tablet driver. Please reboot your
> system. If the problem persists reinstall or update the driver."
>
> The immediate solution is obviously just restart "TabletService" in
> the services dialog, but I would love it if anyone knew a way around
> this.
>
> Oh, and I talked to a technical support guy at Wacom and he was not
> even aware of what I was talking about. After explaining it, it took
> him and his "help desk" software at least a minute to locate the
> services-related entry and he then proceeded to quote me the steps on
> reinstalling the Tablet service again so that it would be functional.
>
> So, any ideas?

Unplug the ****ing thing.

is but a dream within a dream.

-Lost

Response from "Gazwad" <(E-Mail Removed)>:

> -Lost <(E-Mail Removed)>, the deranged-cadger and
> bizarre sherlock wet-crack who likes wretched ferret fiddling with
> wolves, and whose partner is a fast-girl with a naked oval office,
> wrote in <Xns99B29D0E7FCF2lostthreads@216.196.97.136>:
>> The Wacom Tablet I have has software that installs itself as a
>> Windows service, well, when not using my tablet for long periods
>> of time I shut off the service instead of letting it run
>> constantly.
>>
>> This results in EVERY application that can utilize a tablet,
>> resulting in a message:
>>
>> [titlebar]
>> "Tablet Driver"
>> [message]
>> "There is a problem with your tablet driver. Please reboot your
>> system. If the problem persists reinstall or update the driver."
>>
>> The immediate solution is obviously just restart "TabletService"
>> in the services dialog, but I would love it if anyone knew a way
>> around this.
>>
>> Oh, and I talked to a technical support guy at Wacom and he was
>> not even aware of what I was talking about. After explaining it,
>> it took him and his "help desk" software at least a minute to
>> locate the services-related entry and he then proceeded to quote
>> me the steps on reinstalling the Tablet service again so that it
>> would be functional.
>>
>> So, any ideas?

> Unplug the ****ing thing.

Thanks you incompetent jackass, but it is not plugged in and the
message still appears.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

Gazwad

-Lost <(E-Mail Removed)>, the graceless-skid-row-bum and
tearful effie who likes crazed carnal pleasures with caterpillars, and
whose partner is a hay bag with a dowdy foufoune, wrote in
<Xns99B2C7F91FEA4lostthreads@216.196.97.136>:

>>> So, any ideas?

>> Unplug the ****ing thing.

> Thanks you incompetent jackass, but it is not plugged in and the
> message still appears.

You're the only **** who can't control his tablet, deal with it.

is but a dream within a dream.

chuckcar

"-Lost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> The Wacom Tablet I have has software that installs itself as a
> Windows service, well, when not using my tablet for long periods of
> time I shut off the service instead of letting it run constantly.
>
> This results in EVERY application that can utilize a tablet,
> resulting in a message:
>
> [titlebar]
> "Tablet Driver"
> [message]
> "There is a problem with your tablet driver. Please reboot your
> system. If the problem persists reinstall or update the driver."
>
> The immediate solution is obviously just restart "TabletService" in
> the services dialog, but I would love it if anyone knew a way around
> this.
>
> Oh, and I talked to a technical support guy at Wacom and he was not
> even aware of what I was talking about. After explaining it, it took
> him and his "help desk" software at least a minute to locate the
> services-related entry and he then proceeded to quote me the steps on
> reinstalling the Tablet service again so that it would be functional.
>
> So, any ideas?
>
> Thanks!

Have you tried uninstalling the software, rebooting, reinstalling the
software and rebooting again? it might just be the software got
corrupted, Something not unknown in the windows world.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"-Lost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The Wacom Tablet I have has software that installs itself as a
>Windows service, well, when not using my tablet for long periods of
>time I shut off the service instead of letting it run constantly.
>
>This results in EVERY application that can utilize a tablet,
>resulting in a message:
>
>[titlebar]
>"Tablet Driver"
>[message]
>"There is a problem with your tablet driver. Please reboot your
>system. If the problem persists reinstall or update the driver."
>
>The immediate solution is obviously just restart "TabletService" in
>the services dialog, but I would love it if anyone knew a way around
>this.
>
>Oh, and I talked to a technical support guy at Wacom and he was not
>even aware of what I was talking about. After explaining it, it took
>him and his "help desk" software at least a minute to locate the
>services-related entry and he then proceeded to quote me the steps on
>reinstalling the Tablet service again so that it would be functional.
>
>So, any ideas?

Google: AUTORUNS

Run it and see if you can use this to disable the tablet (like stop

You need to keep autoruns in a directory of it's own as it creates a
data file.
--

Just a matter of time.
http://www.pizdaus.com/pics/bP28aFudAJ37.jpg

-Lost

Response from http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed):

> "-Lost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>The Wacom Tablet I have has software that installs itself as a
>>Windows service, well, when not using my tablet for long periods
>>of time I shut off the service instead of letting it run
>>constantly.
>>
>>This results in EVERY application that can utilize a tablet,
>>resulting in a message:
>>
>>[titlebar]
>>"Tablet Driver"
>>[message]
>>"There is a problem with your tablet driver. Please reboot your
>>system. If the problem persists reinstall or update the driver."
>>
>>The immediate solution is obviously just restart "TabletService"
>>in the services dialog, but I would love it if anyone knew a way
>>around this.
>>
>>Oh, and I talked to a technical support guy at Wacom and he was
>>not even aware of what I was talking about. After explaining it,
>>it took him and his "help desk" software at least a minute to
>>locate the services-related entry and he then proceeded to quote
>>me the steps on reinstalling the Tablet service again so that it
>>would be functional.
>>
>>So, any ideas?

> Google: AUTORUNS
>
> Run it and see if you can use this to disable the tablet (like
> stop loading the Wacom DLL for other applications)
>
> You need to keep autoruns in a directory of it's own as it creates
> a data file.

Thanks, Pennywise. The only relevant files I could find were
"wacomvhid" and "wacommousefilter," both of which I disabled and
rebooted. No go, the message still pops up.

I even tried loading the relevant EXEs via Dependency Walker and
checked the service dependencies. Aside from being told there were
several "delay-load module dependencies" and several that could not
be found due to "missing export functions," I could not find anything
to solve the problem.

There is also a "wacompen" driver, but it does not appear to be
service pack?

I guess I am stuck...

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

-Lost

Response from chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>:

> "-Lost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
>> The Wacom Tablet I have has software that installs itself as a
>> Windows service, well, when not using my tablet for long periods
>> of time I shut off the service instead of letting it run
>> constantly.
>>
>> This results in EVERY application that can utilize a tablet,
>> resulting in a message:
>>
>> [titlebar]
>> "Tablet Driver"
>> [message]
>> "There is a problem with your tablet driver. Please reboot your
>> system. If the problem persists reinstall or update the driver."
>>
>> The immediate solution is obviously just restart "TabletService"
>> in the services dialog, but I would love it if anyone knew a way
>> around this.
>>
>> Oh, and I talked to a technical support guy at Wacom and he was
>> not even aware of what I was talking about. After explaining it,
>> it took him and his "help desk" software at least a minute to
>> locate the services-related entry and he then proceeded to quote
>> me the steps on reinstalling the Tablet service again so that it
>> would be functional.
>>
>> So, any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> Have you tried uninstalling the software, rebooting, reinstalling
> the software and rebooting again? it might just be the software
> got corrupted, Something not unknown in the windows world.

No Chuck, I had not. Granted, I do not know everything, hell, I
barely know something...

It seems to me though that it is not necessarily a malfunctioning
software issue. Every time a graphics application that can utilize a
tablet opens, it queries that device. Based on what exactly... I am
not sure. Maybe it recognizes the service and upon receiving an
error response or maybe no response, it simply defaults to a "there
must be a problem" message.

I have come to this conclusion based on the fact that the message
only appears when the "TabletService" service is not started, and of
course does not appear when it is. There is no malfunction
otherwise. If the service is not started everything still works
fine, I just imagine the tablet would not work. And vice-versa.

Ah hell, I may do it anyway just to see... but I doubt it will help.

Thanks for the feedback.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

Wacom Graphire4 4x5 Silverstrand Front Page News 0 10-24-2005 11:13 PM
Wacom Graphire 4x5 review Silverstrand Front Page News 0 10-05-2005 02:02 PM
Wacom anOLDun Computer Support 2 01-18-2005 08:20 PM
Wacom Volito and non wacom mouse Si Digital Photography 11 07-27-2004 08:46 AM
How to stop a thread without using stop() Son KwonNam Java 11 04-09-2004 08:01 PM

Advertisments