Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > New to ASP

New to ASP

JeremyWoertink@gmail.com

Hi, I'm new to this whole ASP.NET stuff. I was assigned a project at
work to change an application someone else wrote, so I got it all
changed on my local machine, then I copied the files over to the
server, and I don't see any of the changes. If I edit the html files,
I can see my changes instantly, but if I edit the *.aspx.vb files I
don't see anything. What do I need to do so I can see these changes?

thanks,

~Jeremy

Forum

Did you recompile/publish your solution?

<(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi, I'm new to this whole ASP.NET stuff. I was assigned a project at
> work to change an application someone else wrote, so I got it all
> changed on my local machine, then I copied the files over to the
> server, and I don't see any of the changes. If I edit the html files,
> I can see my changes instantly, but if I edit the *.aspx.vb files I
> don't see anything. What do I need to do so I can see these changes?
>

> thanks,
>

> ~Jeremy

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> Did you recompile/publish your solution?

That should only be necessary if he's using ASP.NET 1.1,
or if he's using the Web Application Project option in VS 2005..

With "standard" ASP.NET 2.0, changing any *.aspx.vb source files,
via ftp for example, should cause automatic recompilation.

See an extensive listing of which file changes trigger automatic recompilation in ASP.NET 2.0,
in a thread titled "What file changes restart an ASP.net 2.0 application?", posted on September 20 by me.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
======================================
"Forum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Did you recompile/publish your solution?
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Hi, I'm new to this whole ASP.NET stuff. I was assigned a project at
>> work to change an application someone else wrote, so I got it all
>> changed on my local machine, then I copied the files over to the
>> server, and I don't see any of the changes. If I edit the html files,
>> I can see my changes instantly, but if I edit the *.aspx.vb files I
>> don't see anything. What do I need to do so I can see these changes?
>>

>> thanks,
>>

>> ~Jeremy

Alexander Higgins

Thanks Juan, Now I know I don't have to hit "build page" everytime I change
server code.

news:OCEGeOQ$(E-Mail Removed)...
> re:
> !> Did you recompile/publish your solution?
>
> That should only be necessary if he's using ASP.NET 1.1,
> or if he's using the Web Application Project option in VS 2005..
>
> With "standard" ASP.NET 2.0, changing any *.aspx.vb source files,
> via ftp for example, should cause automatic recompilation.
>
> See an extensive listing of which file changes trigger automatic
> recompilation in ASP.NET 2.0,
> in a thread titled "What file changes restart an ASP.net 2.0
> application?", posted on September 20 by me.
>

> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
> asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
> "Forum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Did you recompile/publish your solution?
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>> Hi, I'm new to this whole ASP.NET stuff. I was assigned a project at
>>> work to change an application someone else wrote, so I got it all
>>> changed on my local machine, then I copied the files over to the
>>> server, and I don't see any of the changes. If I edit the html files,
>>> I can see my changes instantly, but if I edit the *.aspx.vb files I
>>> don't see anything. What do I need to do so I can see these changes?
>>>

>>> thanks,
>>>

>>> ~Jeremy

That may be true, but if you build your page (or preferably the whole
solution) prior to deployment and you've made any boo-boo's you will find out
about them then and there where you can debug and fix, rather than when the
first user on the production site requests your revised page, no?
-- Peter
Recursion: see Recursion
site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com

"Alexander Higgins" wrote:

> Thanks Juan, Now I know I don't have to hit "build page" everytime I change
> server code.
>

> "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OCEGeOQ$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > re:
> > !> Did you recompile/publish your solution?
> >
> > That should only be necessary if he's using ASP.NET 1.1,
> > or if he's using the Web Application Project option in VS 2005..
> >
> > With "standard" ASP.NET 2.0, changing any *.aspx.vb source files,
> > via ftp for example, should cause automatic recompilation.
> >
> > See an extensive listing of which file changes trigger automatic
> > recompilation in ASP.NET 2.0,
> > in a thread titled "What file changes restart an ASP.net 2.0
> > application?", posted on September 20 by me.
> >

> > Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
> > asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
> > foros de asp.net, en español : http://asp.net.do/foros/
> > ======================================
> > "Forum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Did you recompile/publish your solution?
> >>
> >> <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

Mark Rae [MVP]

"Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Thanks Juan, Now I know I don't have to hit "build page" everytime I
>> change
>> server code.

> That may be true, but if you build your page (or preferably the whole
> solution) prior to deployment and you've made any boo-boo's you will find
> out
> about them then and there where you can debug and fix, rather than when
> the
> first user on the production site requests your revised page, no?

I couldn't agree more! I've never understood how any serious developer could
even contemplate hacking about with a production system in this way...

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

Shelly

news:OwU$cZV$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>> Thanks Juan, Now I know I don't have to hit "build page" everytime I
>>> change
>>> server code.

>> That may be true, but if you build your page (or preferably the whole
>> solution) prior to deployment and you've made any boo-boo's you will find
>> out
>> about them then and there where you can debug and fix, rather than when
>> the
>> first user on the production site requests your revised page, no?

> I couldn't agree more! I've never understood how any serious developer
> could even contemplate hacking about with a production system in this
> way...

I couldn't agree with you more also. My method is to copy the driving file
and rename it (adding a "1", for example). I then make copies of affected
files the same way. I do my editing and upload those. I then test by going
directly to the new driver file. After it works, I change the filenames to
the ones I want as well as the pointers to changed files. Then I delete the
temporary files. This is the safest way I see to do things for a production
system.

Shelly

JeremyWoertink@gmail.com

On Sep 22, 12:02 am, "Forum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Did you recompile/publish your solution?

My project file is all held on a computer that doesn't have visual
studio. I'm not even sure how the application runs or anything since I
wasn't the one who originally wrote it. If I try to open the solution
file it just pops up "open with..." I have to edit the files with
notepad. But, again, i'm new to all this stuff, so maybe theres
something I'm missing. I'm familiar with VB.NET in vs2005.

thanks for the help

~Jeremy

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> I'm new to all this stuff, so maybe there's something I'm missing

Sure, you're missing Visual Studio.

If money is a problem, download Visual Web Developer Express 2005.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/express/aa700797.aspx

It may not read VS 2005's solution files...but it will read/compile everything else.
If it doesn't VS 2005's solution files, you can fix that problem very easily.

When VWD attempts to open the solution you might get a message saying something like :
"...this is a solution file, but it was created using a newer version of Visual Studio."

VWD parses the first line of the solution file to determine its version.
By editing the file in Notepad, you can get it to work in VWD.

If the file has "Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 10.00" in its first line,
change it to "Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 9.00".

Making sure the solution file's version is 9.0 will allow you to open a VS 2005 solution file in VWD.