Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Lost File Sharing On Wireless Network

Lost File Sharing On Wireless Network

Microsoft

I have two computers in a DSL wireless network, one XP Pro ("New"), one XP
Home ("Old"). Internet sharing and printer sharing are working fine. File
sharing used to work, but yesterday, in the midst of a file transfer from
Old to New, I had an inadvertent reboot of Old. New froze up and had to be
rebooted. I have lost file sharing on both computers, and repeated
reinstalling of the network hasn't helped. I get an error message (see
below) when trying to access workgroup: "My Network Places>Entire
Network>Microsoft Windows Network>mshome". The designation of the two
computers under "Shared Documents" has disappeared. Thanks for any help.

"Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
network resource. Contact the adminitrator of this server to find out
if you have access permissions.

Windows cannot find the network path. Verify that the network path is
correct and the destination computer is not busy or turned off. If
Windows still cannot find the network path, contact your netowrk
administrator."

Paul Hand

I just set up this software to access newsgroups. Didn't realize I'd called
myself "Microsoft", guess if I were Microsoft, I wouldn't be needing help.
, but since I'm not . . .

"Microsoft" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e$BAdJd$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have two computers in a DSL wireless network, one XP Pro ("New"), one XP
>Home ("Old"). Internet sharing and printer sharing are working fine. File
>sharing used to work, but yesterday, in the midst of a file transfer from
>Old to New, I had an inadvertent reboot of Old. New froze up and had to be
>rebooted. I have lost file sharing on both computers, and repeated
>reinstalling of the network hasn't helped. I get an error message (see
>below) when trying to access workgroup: "My Network Places>Entire
>Network>Microsoft Windows Network>mshome". The designation of the two
>computers under "Shared Documents" has disappeared. Thanks for any help.
>
> "Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> network resource. Contact the adminitrator of this server to find out
> if you have access permissions.
>
> Windows cannot find the network path. Verify that the network path is
> correct and the destination computer is not busy or turned off.
> If Windows still cannot find the network path, contact your
> netowrk administrator."

Chuck [MVP]

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 04:24:02 -0700, "Paul Hand" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Microsoft" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:e$BAdJd$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have two computers in a DSL wireless network, one XP Pro ("New"), one XP
>>Home ("Old"). Internet sharing and printer sharing are working fine. File
>>sharing used to work, but yesterday, in the midst of a file transfer from
>>Old to New, I had an inadvertent reboot of Old. New froze up and had to be
>>rebooted. I have lost file sharing on both computers, and repeated
>>reinstalling of the network hasn't helped. I get an error message (see
>>below) when trying to access workgroup: "My Network Places>Entire
>>Network>Microsoft Windows Network>mshome". The designation of the two
>>computers under "Shared Documents" has disappeared. Thanks for any help.
>>
>> "Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
>> network resource. Contact the adminitrator of this server to find out
>> if you have access permissions.
>>
>> Windows cannot find the network path. Verify that the network path is
>> correct and the destination computer is not busy or turned off.
>> If Windows still cannot find the network path, contact your
>> netowrk administrator."

>I just set up this software to access newsgroups. Didn't realize I'd called
>myself "Microsoft", guess if I were Microsoft, I wouldn't be needing help.
>, but since I'm not . . .

Don't you hate it when that happens?

An error 53, combined with lost visibility of other computers, is generally
caused by a NetBT or personal firewall problem.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

What did you do in "reinstalling of the network"? Look at LSP / Winsock
corruption too.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/problems-with-lsp-winsock-layer-in.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-layer-in.html

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/

news.microsoft.com

Thanks for your help Chuck. I'm sure the answer to my problem could be
found in the sources you gave me, but I decided that with my level of
expertise they would take more time than I have to devote. I'm afraid I
took the coward's way out and hired a tech expert who used XP's Remote
Assistance feature to fix the problem is just a few minutes. ;-O

news:(E-Mail Removed)...