Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > College degree or Certification?

College degree or Certification?

Hi there,

In the IT world, which one of college degree or certification is more
important, provided the person has enough job experience in the field? My
guessing are college degree (above associate or bachelor) can advantage to
get management position, and certification can advantage to get technical
position. Am I right? Can the person who has lot of experience and
certifications and has no college degree still can promote to management
position in the US? I would like to hear other opinions.

Thanks,

greensky

Kline Sphere

>Am I right? Can the person who has lot of experience and
>certifications and has no college degree still can promote to management
>position in the US?

People with 'lots' of real world experience will always succeed, with
or without a college/university degree.

As for certification, well, any company that puts ms certification
above a college/university degree or 'real world' experience is being
run by a bunch of crazy folk.

As for being promoted to management, well I can tell you, management
is a completely different skill set. A good technical Joe seldom makes
a good manager.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

T-Bone

<greensky> wrote
> In the IT world, which one of college degree or certification is more
> important, provided the person has enough job experience in the field?

I would say college. Start with google 101 so we don't go through this whole
discussion thread again.
--
T-Bone
MCNGP XL

Neil

did you hear "T-Bone" <reply2me@thenewsgroup> say in news:eL7Oky3FGHA.2652
@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

> I would say college.

coolege as in "Community College" or are we speaking of "Bachelor's
degree" acredited College (aka University)?

--
The InterNeil MCNGP#30

- Life to you is a dashing, bold adventure. So sing and rejoice.

Neil

did you hear Kline Sphere <.@> say in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> As for certification, well, any company that puts ms certification
> above a college/university degree or 'real world' experience is being
> run by a bunch of crazy folk.

Al Quida's hiring?

--
The InterNeil MCNGP#30

- Open mouth, insert foot, echo internationally.

Neil

did you hear Kline Sphere <.@> say in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> A good technical Joe seldom makes
> a good manager.

different skill sets.

--
The InterNeil MCNGP#30

- Success of those we dislike proves that luck exists.

Neil

did you hear <greensky> say in
news:#(E-Mail Removed):

> My
> guessing are college degree (above associate or bachelor) can
> advantage to get management position, and certification can advantage
> to get technical position. Am I right?

I don't know about management, but for job interviews where there is no
real world experience, I would venture that a BS of ComSci would be
better than an MCSE. I have absolutely NO imperical evidence to base this
on and each individual should be evaluated on their own merits, but there
is something about having attended an accerdited University and obtained
a degree that says you can learn. I'm not sure the same can be said for
some MCSE's.

That being said, I don't have the degree and have had to get my real
world expereince the hard way - doing relatively meanial jobs (break fix,
desktop installs, up to netowrk installs, up to net designs all without
my MCSE) and working my way up. I got the MCSE (8 years ago or so) and it
has been helpful, but I think I would have done ok without it. I just
want to go back to Uni and get my degree now.

--
The InterNeil MCNGP#30

- Be all you could have been - join the Time Commandos!

Lasher

Neil <guess!!!@gmail.com> wrote in
news:Xns97495B712C0BFneilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.1 6:

But I can get that online. Fully accreditited and 110% br@indump free!

--
Lasher
MCNGP 110010

Kline Sphere

>coolege as in "Community College" or are we speaking of "Bachelor's
>degree" acredited College (aka University)?

I'd say 'accredited'

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

Kline Sphere

>I have absolutely NO imperical evidence to base this
>on and each individual should be evaluated on their own merit

Well, I speak from the software development side of IT. Neither here
in the uk or in the States have I seen companies prepared to recruit
entry level people without [at least] BS.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3