Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > WZC missing from windows services directory.

WZC missing from windows services directory.

=?Utf-8?B?YTlmYw==?=

Hello!

One of my computers' a Dell Dimension 2400 and it has problems with wireless
connections. Before the SP2 installation, configuring the wireless settings
was impossible as the advanced options was greyed out. After SP2 and
following instructions, I realised the the WZC is not even listed in the
windows services directory.

Apart from reinstalling windows ( lost the recovery CD...attempting to get a
replacement), is there any other way to solve the problem?

Thanks!

Arkady Frenkel

Did you try to start the wzc service in Control Panel ?
Just a hint
Arkady

"a9fc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello!
>
> One of my computers' a Dell Dimension 2400 and it has problems with

wireless
> connections. Before the SP2 installation, configuring the wireless

settings
> was impossible as the advanced options was greyed out. After SP2 and
> following instructions, I realised the the WZC is not even listed in the
> windows services directory.
>
> Apart from reinstalling windows ( lost the recovery CD...attempting to get

> replacement), is there any other way to solve the problem?
>
> Thanks!

Pavel A.

??? What is "windows services directory" ?
Please open command prompt and type
SC START WZCSVC
Will it start?

--PA

"a9fc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello!
>
> One of my computers' a Dell Dimension 2400 and it has problems with wireless
> connections. Before the SP2 installation, configuring the wireless settings
> was impossible as the advanced options was greyed out. After SP2 and
> following instructions, I realised the the WZC is not even listed in the
> windows services directory.
>
> Apart from reinstalling windows ( lost the recovery CD...attempting to get a
> replacement), is there any other way to solve the problem?
>
> Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?YTlmYw==?=

Nope, it says that the device is not installed.

Lol...note to self..how the hell did it get removed...

"Pavel A." wrote:

> ??? What is "windows services directory" ?
> Please open command prompt and type
> SC START WZCSVC
> Will it start?
>
> --PA
>
> "a9fc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello!
> >
> > One of my computers' a Dell Dimension 2400 and it has problems with wireless
> > connections. Before the SP2 installation, configuring the wireless settings
> > was impossible as the advanced options was greyed out. After SP2 and
> > following instructions, I realised the the WZC is not even listed in the
> > windows services directory.
> >
> > Apart from reinstalling windows ( lost the recovery CD...attempting to get a
> > replacement), is there any other way to solve the problem?
> >
> > Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?YTlmYw==?=

The thing is, it can't be started. It cant be found to be started. =\

"Arkady Frenkel" wrote:

> Did you try to start the wzc service in Control Panel ?
> Just a hint
> Arkady
>
> "a9fc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello!
> >
> > One of my computers' a Dell Dimension 2400 and it has problems with

> wireless
> > connections. Before the SP2 installation, configuring the wireless

> settings
> > was impossible as the advanced options was greyed out. After SP2 and
> > following instructions, I realised the the WZC is not even listed in the
> > windows services directory.
> >
> > Apart from reinstalling windows ( lost the recovery CD...attempting to get

> > replacement), is there any other way to solve the problem?
> >
> > Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?VmxhZGltaXI=?=

I have exactely the same problem.
Some stupid smuck took laptop of my colleague, tried to setup WiFi at home.
Stupid smuck installed everything that he could from D-Link CD and that
****ed up WZC (stupid installed even drivers for USB WiFi card, even if
computer has WiFi!).

So, the problem is, there is no Wireless Zero Configuration service now,
same as by a9fc.

The question is, how do I reinstall WZC??

"Pavel A." wrote:

> ??? What is "windows services directory" ?
> Please open command prompt and type
> SC START WZCSVC
> Will it start?

=?Utf-8?B?VmxhZGltaXI=?=

BTW, I managed to start service, here is how:

1. Right-click on the WiFi Connection icon in My Connections and select
Properties from the context menu.
2. In the Local Area Connections Properties window, on the General tab,
click the Install button.
3. In the Select Network Component Type window, in the Click the type of
network box, click to select the Service icon.
4. Click the Add button.
5. In the Select Network Service window, click the Have Disk button.
6. Click the OK button.
7. In the Install From Disk window, click the Browse button.
8. In the Locate File window, browse to the C:\Windows\Inf folder (this is a
hidden folder).
9. Click to select NETWZC.INF.
10. Click the Open button.
11. In the Install from Disk window, click the OK button.
12. In the Select Network Service window, in the Network Service box, select
Microsoft as the manufacturer, and then click to select Wireless Zero
Configuration.
13. Click the OK button.

=?Utf-8?B?V2VyTg==?=

"Vladimir" a ├ęcrit :

> BTW, I managed to start service, here is how:
>
> 1. Right-click on the WiFi Connection icon in My Connections and select
> Properties from the context menu.
> 2. In the Local Area Connections Properties window, on the General tab,
> click the Install button.
> 3. In the Select Network Component Type window, in the Click the type of
> network box, click to select the Service icon.
> 4. Click the Add button.
> 5. In the Select Network Service window, click the Have Disk button.
> 6. Click the OK button.
> 7. In the Install From Disk window, click the Browse button.
> 8. In the Locate File window, browse to the C:\Windows\Inf folder (this is a
> hidden folder).
> 9. Click to select NETWZC.INF.
> 10. Click the Open button.
> 11. In the Install from Disk window, click the OK button.
> 12. In the Select Network Service window, in the Network Service box, select
> Microsoft as the manufacturer, and then click to select Wireless Zero
> Configuration.
> 13. Click the OK button.

I have the exact same problem : can't find WZC service !
I tried the solution above but nothing happens.
It looks like it has installed the service but WZC appears nowhere in the
services list (even after reboot).
No WZC service to be started means no "wireless tab" in the "properties" of
my wireless connection.
No "wireless tab" means that I cannot uncheck the box "let windows manage my
wireless connection".
It is funny not be able to start a service that would allow me to shut it
down ...

I also tried 3 solutions proposed here : http://ecross.mvps.org/faq.htm
Did not work.