Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > NETGEAR wireless MR314 and ASUS PCI card WL 138GE compatible ?

NETGEAR wireless MR314 and ASUS PCI card WL 138GE compatible ?

Comcast Newsgroups

Are the 2 above items compatible? The netgear wireless MR314 is 811b, 11 MBps thruput, and the ASUS PCI cards are just bought 2 weeks ago. They are internal cards with the small antenna.

I get with one desktop which has this Asus card a very low signal, even though the computer is only maximum 20 feet away and only an internal wall, no electrical wires or plumbing in it, separates the 2 computers.

The 3rd desktop with the Asus PCI card does not get a signal at all, even though it is the most up to date and fastest computer of the 3.

All run on Windows XP.

Any ideas?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
The MR314 is 811b is rather an old device.
20 feet with a wall in the way can be a problem if the unit is not working
well any more, and or the Antennae of the Router or the computer are in a
position that blocks the signal.
Updated or fast computer is a very nice thing to have but it has nothing to
do with the Wireless connection and its signal.
Put the computer that does not seem to work next to the Router. If it works
you have do not have signal at the computer regular location. If it does not
work at close proximity this might help, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
These pages describe the most common method to extend Wireless coverage.
Wireless Router as an AP - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
Wireless Modes - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html
Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html
Hi Gain Antenna - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Comcast Newsgroups" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
Are the 2 above items compatible? The netgear wireless MR314 is 811b, 11
MBps thruput, and the ASUS PCI cards are just bought 2 weeks ago. They are
internal cards with the small antenna.

I get with one desktop which has this Asus card a very low signal, even
though the computer is only maximum 20 feet away and only an internal wall,
no electrical wires or plumbing in it, separates the 2 computers.

The 3rd desktop with the Asus PCI card does not get a signal at all, even
though it is the most up to date and fastest computer of the 3.

All run on Windows XP.

Any ideas?

Comcast Newsgroups

Thanks for excellent hyperlinks. I went to some and will recommend them to
my daughter, who has the Netgear and problem.

Thanks again.

news:uN2xhsF$(E-Mail Removed)...