Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > OT: Satellite radio

OT: Satellite radio

Briscobar

This is the kind of post I'd make to the s00per sekr1t site, but seeing as
it's currently being rebuilt, I'm posting here.

Any of you have satellite radio? Sirius or XM? If so, what do you think
about it? I have DirecTV, and the music channels are XM. There's probly 40
or so on DirecTV, and many more on the "real" XM, and I'm kind of addicted.
Minimal commercials, wide selection of music, blah blah blah. However, as
many of you know, I'm a pretty big Howard Stern fan. So Sirius would
probably be the one I get if/when I do decide to spring for it. I know all
about the cost differences, sports packages, etc, but I'm looking for any
user reviews, especially from people I trust, not some random message board
on the InterNeil. So, what do you all think of satellite radio, and Sirius
in particular, if you have any experience with it?

--
KB

MCNGP #26
www.mcngp.com's milkshake is better than yours.

PC LOAD LETTER

news:%23cdZA$(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is the kind of post I'd make to the s00per sekr1t site, but seeing as
> it's currently being rebuilt, I'm posting here.
>
> Any of you have satellite radio? Sirius or XM? If so, what do you think
> about it? I have DirecTV, and the music channels are XM. There's probly 40
> or so on DirecTV, and many more on the "real" XM, and I'm kind of
> addicted.
> Minimal commercials, wide selection of music, blah blah blah. However, as
> many of you know, I'm a pretty big Howard Stern fan. So Sirius would
> probably be the one I get if/when I do decide to spring for it. I know all
> about the cost differences, sports packages, etc, but I'm looking for any
> user reviews, especially from people I trust, not some random message
> board
> on the InterNeil. So, what do you all think of satellite radio, and Sirius
> in particular, if you have any experience with it?

I worked in radio for a number of years, so I'm a bit biased, and a bit
spoiled. Every song I ever wanted / liked I already have digitized from the
station computer. New stuff just doesn't seem to compare.

I'm not to big on pay for content scenarios.

Personally, I'd like to see a piece of software / hardware that connects to
XM and rebroadcasts the channels on the InterNeil.

For music, the winamp shoutcast scenario was pretty worthwhile.

Stern is pretty cool, though. That might be intriguing enough to make it
worth time and stress out of one's life to work to pay for.

I haven't checked it in a while,

Jtyc

> many of you know, I'm a pretty big Howard Stern fan. So Sirius would

O&A is on XM.

PC LOAD LETTER

That last message went out too soon, inadvertently hit the enter key or
something.

Picking up where I left off...

If there are any commercials on Sirius, and you aren't looking for Sirius
specific content [Stern], I'd say don't get it.

I haven't checked shoutcast in a while. If it's still alive, I'd check that.
InterNeil radio seems like the way to go for music. Anything in that path is
sort of a cool way to find music in your genre, and escape the 'mainstream
makes choices for you' avenue.

I'm also not big on commercial local radio. It almost never fails, you get
one song you like, then 12 minutes of commercials, then songs you don't
like, try to surf the channels -- and all of them are on commercials, and
turn the radio off out of annoyance.

There's a new trend since FCC deregulation, where theres actually just a
computer in a room, and all of the interviews, morning shows, etc, are
totally from corporate office in Nantucket, completely faked.

And of course, the eternal struggle to keep the DJs from being legit because
some tie-wielder is afraid of what they say.

Television, just can't watch it without a DVR any more, and there's too much
same sameness of same-ity on the more of the same channel.

The overwhelming popularity of the new InterNeil, however, may surpass all
other forms of media, catapulting Neil to levels of obscurity never before
comprehended. Wireless Digital InterNeil is the future of media
transmission.

JaR

plaintive wail of Briscobar:

> So, what do you all think of satellite radio, and Sirius
> in particular, if you have any experience with it?

Snot satellite, but I'm growing very fond of this:

http://www.independentartistscompany.com/

--
JaR
MCNGP 10110

Jim

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> many of you know, I'm a pretty big Howard Stern fan. So Sirius would

> O&A is on XM.

http://www.mininova.org/search/?search=opie+%26+anthony

and coming soon
http://www.mininova.org/search/?search=howard+stern

just add ipod

Briscobar

PC LOAD LETTER <http://www.planetoftheheads.com/> rambled:

I'm going to quote both your posts here....

> I worked in radio for a number of years, so I'm a bit biased, and a
> bit spoiled. Every song I ever wanted / liked I already have
> digitized from the station computer. New stuff just doesn't seem to
> compare.
>
> I'm not to big on pay for content scenarios.

Neither was I. Until I realized that I pay for DirecTV every month, when I
could just as easily head up to my roof and put up an antenna and get free
HD OTA broadcasts. While free stuff is awesome, you get what you pay for.
I'd be limited to probably 10 channels. So basically, I pay my monthly fee,
and get a much superior product. I'm not saying this will be the case with
Sirius (or XM), that's how I'm looking at it for now.

> Personally, I'd like to see a piece of software / hardware that
> connects to XM and rebroadcasts the channels on the InterNeil.

Uh, you can stream Sirius over the InterNeil as a 3-day trial.

> For music, the winamp shoutcast scenario was pretty worthwhile.

When I was in college, I did use this a bit. I was heavy into "indie" music
for a while, and this was pretty much the only way to get it. Podcasting and
all that stuff now simply doesn't interest me.

> Stern is pretty cool, though. That might be intriguing enough to make
> it worth time and stress out of one's life to work to pay for.

Yes, if it wasn't for Stern, I wouldn't even be considering the switch to
satellite radio. He's not the ONLY reason I want to get it, but he's a major
reason.

> That last message went out too soon, inadvertently hit the enter key
> or something.
>
> Picking up where I left off...
>
> If there are any commercials on Sirius, and you aren't looking for
> Sirius specific content [Stern], I'd say don't get it.

I believe there are commercial-free stations and commercial-light stations.
For example, Howard 100 and Howard 101 are both commercial-light. Stern's
daily show will have commercials, but nowhere near the 20 min/hour he used
to have on his old show. Other stations are totally commercial-free, I
believe.

> I haven't checked shoutcast in a while. If it's still alive, I'd
> check that. InterNeil radio seems like the way to go for music.

That's well and good, but what do I do when I'm not sitting at my computer?
I guess I could download stuff to my mp3 player, plug it into my car and be
on my way, but that seems an awful lot like work to me. And as you can tell
by my presence in this hear chat rum during work hours, I do as little work
as possible.

> Anything in that path is sort of a cool way to find music in your
> genre, and escape the 'mainstream makes choices for you' avenue.

I will check out Shoutcast, or its descendants. But the problem of
portability remains.

> I'm also not big on commercial local radio. It almost never fails,
> you get one song you like, then 12 minutes of commercials, then songs
> you don't like, try to surf the channels -- and all of them are on
> commercials, and turn the radio off out of annoyance.

Yes. Praise $deity for CDs. I rarely listen to the radio anymore for the
exact situation you just described. It's annoying as hell, and every station
seems to take a commercial break at the same time.

> And of course, the eternal struggle to keep the DJs from being legit
> because some tie-wielder is afraid of what they say.

This is why I liked Stern so much in the last couple years. And why Opie and
Anthony were so damn funny (although I haven't heard them since they got the
boot in Boston).

> Television, just can't watch it without a DVR any more, and there's
> too much same sameness of same-ity on the more of the same channel.

I also have TiVo, and it is far and away the best piece of electronic
equipment in my house. I'd be willing to give up my refrigerator before I
give up my TiVo. It really is true what they say...once you have a TiVo, it
totally changes the way you watch TV. Almost never do I watch a commercial.
And I watch TV for maybe 3 hours or so on a Saturday, catching up on a
week's worth of shows.

Relating this to Sirius, if and when I decide to shell out for it, this is
the unit I'll be buying:
http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...chedPage&c=Pro
ductAsset&cid=1130363753674

tiny: http://tinyurl.com/c6gpq

Yeah, a little expensive. But it's basically a portable TiVo for your radio.
As my boy 50 would say, P.I.M.P.

> The overwhelming popularity of the new InterNeil, however, may
> surpass all other forms of media, catapulting Neil to levels of
> obscurity never before comprehended. Wireless Digital InterNeil is
> the future of media transmission.

One suggestion, for the next release of the InterNeil: TTP compatability.
Telepathic Transfer Protocol, that is. I would like to see the InterNeil
support telepathy. Then, no one else would have to know how obscure Neil has
become, unless they thought about it. Which I am now. But I can't see any
InterNeil web addresses in my mind's eye. Probably because they're too
obscure.

--
KB

MCNGP #26
Be the lucky 12th customer to visit www.mcngp.com, and you can win a
bucket of salted slugs!

CBIC

In news:Xns974678BAB3177Talleywhacker@207.46.248.16,
JaR <(E-Mail Removed)> embarrassed himself by saying:
> Echoed forth from the dank caverns of
> microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, the plaintive wail of Briscobar:
>
>> So, what do you all think of satellite radio, and Sirius
>> in particular, if you have any experience with it?

> Snot satellite, but I'm growing very fond of this:
>
> http://www.independentartistscompany.com/

Sirius is pretty cool. One of my users was streaming music from it onto her
PC so I hacked her password and now I listen to it for free. If you want her
account info send me an email and you can try it out.
--
aka
Doom MCNGP #38

JaR

plaintive wail of JaR:

> Snot satellite, but I'm growing very fond of this:
>
> http://www.independentartistscompany.com/

Ok, ok, I just read your response to ol' pcloadmcbob.

Nevermind.

--
JaR
MCNGP 10110

PC LOAD LETTER

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm going to quote both your posts here....
>
>> I worked in radio for a number of years, so I'm a bit biased, and a
>> bit spoiled. Every song I ever wanted / liked I already have
>> digitized from the station computer. New stuff just doesn't seem to
>> compare.
>>
>> I'm not to big on pay for content scenarios.

> Neither was I. Until I realized that I pay for DirecTV every month, when I
> could just as easily head up to my roof and put up an antenna and get free
> HD OTA broadcasts. While free stuff is awesome, you get what you pay for.
> I'd be limited to probably 10 channels. So basically, I pay my monthly
> fee,
> and get a much superior product. I'm not saying this will be the case with
> Sirius (or XM), that's how I'm looking at it for now.

It all depends on what you watch. I find most of the stuff on cable / dish
to be cliche. For some reason, the real world is looking more interesting,
and the TV lookng less interesting.

TV is sort of antiquated anyway. We need something better. SexVision, where
you can have sex, and MeatVision, where you can have meat. MoneyVision would
be cool, too.

I think those three things, instant delivery of sex, meat, and money, that's
what we all need. Well, I suppose beer and drugs should be delivered, but
that's not a vision thing, that's got to come into a tube you plug into your

> One suggestion, for the next release of the InterNeil: TTP compatability.
> Telepathic Transfer Protocol, that is. I would like to see the InterNeil
> support telepathy. Then, no one else would have to know how obscure Neil
> has
> become, unless they thought about it. Which I am now. But I can't see any
> InterNeil web addresses in my mind's eye. Probably because they're too
> obscure.

I'll add TTPs to InterNeil at some point, along with face recognition and
smell transmission neocubist waffletronic hamsterlick manipulation
therapy...

BUT... we're starting slow with the development cycle on InterNeil Explorer.
Like today, I just added an icon, which will be used on future versions, in
the future.

Microcephalic S. Bob
http://www.planetoftheheads.com/customers/interneil/

Satellite TV 4 You: Free Satellite TV systems Marina Computer Support 0 12-25-2007 06:15 PM
Satellite TV 4 You: Free Satellite TV systems Marina Digital Photography 0 12-25-2007 06:07 PM
OT ...... questions about Satellite Radio...? nj_annie@golfilla.info Computer Support 1 10-04-2007 05:01 PM
Sirius Satellite Radio John Firefox 2 08-06-2006 08:10 PM
Sirius Satellite Radio and Howard Stern Go Ear to Ear with XM Silverstrand Front Page News 0 02-15-2006 04:16 AM

Advertisments