Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Basic skills needed for wireless network set-up?

Basic skills needed for wireless network set-up?

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

Can a novice with no knowledge of DHCP's, IP addresses, etc. set-up a home
network to share files and printers? I recently purchased a wireless laptop
and a router. My original desktop computer is wired to the router and the
laptop is functioning properly by wireless. Both computers are using XP and
can access the internet with no problem. I have gone thru all the network
connections wizards on both computers and I have given permissions to share
on both computers. Yet the laptop does not find any network printers or
computers when I try to add printers. It is unclear to me if I may have
skipped a step when setting up the router of indentifying IP addresses or
some other needed identification. On the surface, simply following the set-up
wizards seems easy. It just doesn't work.The deeper I research the problem,
the more technical the information becomes. So what am i missing, should it
be possible for a novice to successful share files and printers?
--
Mark

Edward W. Thompson

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can a novice with no knowledge of DHCP's, IP addresses, etc. set-up a home
> network to share files and printers? I recently purchased a wireless
> laptop
> and a router. My original desktop computer is wired to the router and the
> laptop is functioning properly by wireless. Both computers are using XP
> and
> can access the internet with no problem. I have gone thru all the network
> connections wizards on both computers and I have given permissions to
> share
> on both computers. Yet the laptop does not find any network printers or
> computers when I try to add printers. It is unclear to me if I may have
> skipped a step when setting up the router of indentifying IP addresses or
> some other needed identification. On the surface, simply following the
> set-up
> wizards seems easy. It just doesn't work.The deeper I research the
> problem,
> the more technical the information becomes. So what am i missing, should
> it
> be possible for a novice to successful share files and printers?
> --
> Mark

The short answer is 'Yes'. Have you tried searching Google for advice on
network configuration?
There is a considerable volume of advice there.

Pavel A.

But you've already answered your own question.
You tried the wizards, they failed, you are at your wits end.
Now it's time to stop self-cure and call for a doctor.
--PA

"Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can a novice with no knowledge of DHCP's, IP addresses, etc. set-up a home
> network to share files and printers? I recently purchased a wireless laptop
> and a router. My original desktop computer is wired to the router and the
> laptop is functioning properly by wireless. Both computers are using XP and
> can access the internet with no problem. I have gone thru all the network
> connections wizards on both computers and I have given permissions to share
> on both computers. Yet the laptop does not find any network printers or
> computers when I try to add printers. It is unclear to me if I may have
> skipped a step when setting up the router of indentifying IP addresses or
> some other needed identification. On the surface, simply following the set-up
> wizards seems easy. It just doesn't work.The deeper I research the problem,
> the more technical the information becomes. So what am i missing, should it
> be possible for a novice to successful share files and printers?
> --
> Mark

mikeFNB

**** easy try these:

http://www.careyholzman.com/

http://www.ezlan.net/

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can a novice with no knowledge of DHCP's, IP addresses, etc. set-up a home
> network to share files and printers? I recently purchased a wireless

laptop
> and a router. My original desktop computer is wired to the router and the
> laptop is functioning properly by wireless. Both computers are using XP

and
> can access the internet with no problem. I have gone thru all the network
> connections wizards on both computers and I have given permissions to

share
> on both computers. Yet the laptop does not find any network printers or
> computers when I try to add printers. It is unclear to me if I may have
> skipped a step when setting up the router of indentifying IP addresses or
> some other needed identification. On the surface, simply following the

set-up
> wizards seems easy. It just doesn't work.The deeper I research the

problem,
> the more technical the information becomes. So what am i missing, should

it
> be possible for a novice to successful share files and printers?
> --
> Mark

What sort of C++ skills are needed for a proprietary trader? Protoman C++ 10 08-25-2007 04:32 PM
need to add network skills ChrisR MCSA 0 06-28-2005 12:04 AM
makin a page...basic html skills...need advice SL HTML 6 12-29-2003 08:09 AM

Advertisments