Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > sob..Someone can help me????plsss

sob..Someone can help me????plsss

Army1987

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 18:55:42 +0100, Flash Gordon wrote:

> Army1987 wrote, On 21/09/07 14:22:

>>> You could write a filter program in standard C to adjust your posts so
>>> that they use two spaces.

[snip]
>> Anyway, a program written in C which uses ". " to tell where a
>> sentence finishes would be broken by using ". ".

> I was not suggesting that a program should do that.

Neither was I. It was just another example of a way to link this
to C. (Anyway, Emacs does do that.)
--
Army1987 (Replace "NOSPAM" with "email")
stupid “Smart Quotes” feature. This is so you'll avoid sprinkling garbage

pete

Army1987 wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 20:40:26 -0400, pete wrote:
>
> > I like this better:
> >
> > printf("please key in any " xstr(LENGTH) " digits number :");

> If you are indeed using printf, what's wrong with
> printf("please key in any %d digits number :", (int)LENGTH)?

There's nothing wrong with that.

> It'll continue to work if you define LENGTH in some more insane way.

But I already had the xstr() macro defined, so I used it.

--
pete

Ian Collins

pete wrote:
> Army1987 wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 20:40:26 -0400, pete wrote:
>>
>>> I like this better:
>>>
>>> printf("please key in any " xstr(LENGTH) " digits number :");

>> If you are indeed using printf, what's wrong with
>> printf("please key in any %d digits number :", (int)LENGTH)?

> There's nothing wrong with that.
>
>> It'll continue to work if you define LENGTH in some more insane way.

> But I already had the xstr() macro defined, so I used it.

Why go to all that trouble with macro when you could simply use an enum
for length?

--
Ian Collins.

pete

Ian Collins wrote:

> pete wrote:
> > Army1987 wrote:

> >> If you are indeed using printf, what's wrong with
> >> printf("please key in any %d digits number :", (int)LENGTH)?

> > There's nothing wrong with that.
> >
> >> It'll continue to work if you define
> >> LENGTH in some more insane way.

> > But I already had the xstr() macro defined, so I used it.
> >

> Why go to all that trouble with macro
> when you could simply use an enum for length?

I needed the macro in this line:

rc = fscanf(stdin, "%" xstr(LENGTH) "[^\n]%*[^\n]", array);

which I snipped.

--
pete

Dik T. Winter

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid writes:
> The two-space gap between sentences goes back to typewriting with a
> fixed-pitch font.

In some places, not in other places.

Dik T. Winter

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> Army1987 <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 08:32:56 +0100, Flash Gordon wrote:
>
> >> I'm trying to think up a way to link this to C, but not having a great deal
> >> of success.

> > You could write a filter program in standard C to adjust your posts so
> > that they use two spaces.

> It is less trivial than it seems, Mr. Foo would receive two
> spaces, too.

Not when Mr Heathfield is typing. In standard British, an abbreviation that
contains the last letter of the original word is not followed by a period. If
you had said "Prof. Foo" it would have been another matter.

Dik T. Winter

In article <fd0rfd$33d$(E-Mail Removed)> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) writes:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Al Balmer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 00:52:23 +0000, Richard Heathfield
> ><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >>even in Usenet, where fixed-pitch fonts are the norm

> >Since we're off-topic anyway, I wonder if this is actually true?

> Who knows? Unless someone cares to do a statistical study of the
> X-Newsreader headers of a large number of posts, and trusts that
> the newsreaders are not lying about what program they are, and
> the Newsreader name is correlated to ability to change fonts... then
> the matter is essentially undecideable, potentially amenable only to
> polls with bad "self-selection" bias.

And the newsreader actually does put in such a line (mine does not).

> But if anyone cares: *I* only use fixed-width for reading Usenet.
> I scan too many messages in which the formatting is important
> (e.g., code) to make it worth flipping back and forth between
> fonts.

Indeed.

Richard Heathfield

Army1987 said:

> On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 08:32:56 +0100, Flash Gordon wrote:
>
>>> I'm trying to think up a way to link this to C, but not having a great
>>> deal of success.

>> You could write a filter program in standard C to adjust your posts so
>> that they use two spaces.

> It is less trivial than it seems, Mr. Foo would receive two
> spaces, too.

This is possibly one reason for the development of open punctuation, in
which the punctuating of abbreviations was dropped completely, as in "Mr
Foo" rather than "Mr. Foo", "BBC" rather than "B.B.C.", etc.

Email: -www. +rjh@

Dik T. Winter

In article <(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl> (E-Mail Removed) (Richard Bos) writes:
> CBFalconer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > >
> > > ceh my teacher is totally jerk........now he ask me to do in looping
> > > humm.....i think maybe i can use for...nvm i will try to do on my
> > > own...
> > > i will ask if got any prob....
> > > i think must use nested for...

> > What are all those dots for? Sentences are normally terminated
> > with a period (one dot) followed by two spaces.

> One space, in civilised countries.

And there are also those uncivilised countries where it is no space after,
and those that require a space both before and after.

Quite some time ago I was amused that the editor of a series of reports
of the Argonne National Laboratory insisted on the Chicago style, meaning
that if a sentence ended with a quote the following terminator also should
be within the quote (whether it was part of the quote or not). Meaning
that for instance after the sentence:
the sign reads "stop."
you had no idea whether the period was on the sign or not. But it led to
a lot of confusion in a report about the Ada language. Sentences like:
for this we have the operator "+."
where the Ada name for the operator is "+".

Richard Tobin

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This is possibly one reason for the development of open punctuation, in
>which the punctuating of abbreviations was dropped completely, as in "Mr
>Foo" rather than "Mr. Foo", "BBC" rather than "B.B.C.", etc.

"Mr Foo" has been a standard for a long time: many references
recommend only using a full stop when the word has been truncated at
the end, which does not apply in this case since the "r" or "Mr"
represents the last letter of "Mister". "Mr J. Foo" on the other hand
would be so written.

-- Richard
in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.