Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless printer setup

Wireless printer setup

stainless

My mother is getting a broadband connection (in the UK) using a Talk
Talk modem.

She has a new wifi laptop (Windows Vista) and has now bought a Hewlett
Packard D2460
printer (just a usb port on this printer)

Thus, the printer and laptop are not physically connected to the
router. What do I need to do to allow her to use the printer from her
laptop, wirelessly?

Cheers

Mark

Charlie Hoffpauir

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 20:45:02 -0000, stainless
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My mother is getting a broadband connection (in the UK) using a Talk
>Talk modem.
>
>She has a new wifi laptop (Windows Vista) and has now bought a Hewlett
>Packard D2460
>printer (just a usb port on this printer)
>

>Thus, the printer and laptop are not physically connected to the
>router. What do I need to do to allow her to use the printer from her
>laptop, wirelessly?
>

>Cheers
>

>Mark

Mark,

She need a wireless print server. I have a Netgear WGPS606 which works
fine for me, but I understand that it doesn't work with some printers.
I'm sure the same is true of other print servers, so you need to check
any one you consider, to make sure it will work with your setup.

--
Charlie Hoffpauir

Lem

stainless wrote:
> My mother is getting a broadband connection (in the UK) using a Talk
> Talk modem.
>
> She has a new wifi laptop (Windows Vista) and has now bought a Hewlett
> Packard D2460
> printer (just a usb port on this printer)
>

> Thus, the printer and laptop are not physically connected to the
> router. What do I need to do to allow her to use the printer from her
> laptop, wirelessly?
>

> Cheers
>

> Mark

You describe the Internet connection as a "Talk Talk modem." Is this a
modem only, a modem that incorporates a router, or a modem that
incorporates a wireless router?

You don't mention any other computers, so I'll assume there aren't any.

You need a print server device.

[As an aside, it's often cheaper and easier to buy a network-ready
printer rather than buying a non-network printer plus a print server.
The D2460 is no longer available from hp in the US, and I don't know
what your mother paid for it, but if it is still returnable, you might
seriously consider swapping it for an hp 6890
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...visors/adi/hho
which is wifi network ready. In the U.S., this retails for $135.]

If you stay with the D2460, you will need something like the
Linksys WPS54G or the D-Link DP-G310 or a similar device (all of the
popular home networking manufacturers have these).

If the Talk Talk modem incorporates a wireless router, then setup a
wireless network for the laptop, and then configure the print server to
connect to the same network. Otherwise, setup an ad hoc wireless
network between the laptop and the print server. The advantage of Vista
is that it now supports WPA and WPA2 encryption for ad hoc networks (XP
only supported WEP). You should use WPA2 if the print server supports
it; otherwise, use WPA. Do not buy a wireless print server that does
not support at least WPA encryption.

Alternatively, if the Talk Talk modem incorporates a wired (but not
wireless) router, you can buy a wired print server (which might be a
little less expensive than a wifi print server). In this case, the
printer will have to be reasonably near the router.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

stainless

Hi

The router can be wireless or ethernet. Thus, I shoyuld, in theory, be
able to connect a printer server wirelessl and thus position anywher
within range (I believe that is the case anyway)

As for replacing the printer with an already wi-fi enabled printer, I
suppose it is a possibility but would have to look at the costs
involved. I have just bought it from PC WOrld in the UK and do have a
branch locally, so I guess, if it is not even unpacked (which is the
case at the moment), they may be willing to upgrade for me.

Cheers

Mark

=?Utf-8?B?R29yZG9uIFNodW13YXk=?=

Why not just hook the printer to the laptop ?? Much easier than getting a
print server.

GS

"stainless" wrote:

> My mother is getting a broadband connection (in the UK) using a Talk
> Talk modem.
>
> She has a new wifi laptop (Windows Vista) and has now bought a Hewlett
> Packard D2460
> printer (just a usb port on this printer)
>

> Thus, the printer and laptop are not physically connected to the
> router. What do I need to do to allow her to use the printer from her
> laptop, wirelessly?
>

> Cheers
>

> Mark

Comcast Newsgroups

I downloaded Network Magic and it works like a charm. Connects laptop to
desktop and vice versa. I can also easily print at the desktop area from the
laptop 50 feet away. It downloads free and can be used for free for 7 days
and during that time I succeeded effortlessly with all of above.

I intend to purchase after 7 days for only $29.95 to connect up to 3
computers.

You can also share files and folders, run speed tests and a number of other
things.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...