Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Am I being watched ?

Am I being watched ?

Mike the Brewer

XP pro + SP2 Cable modem into ethernet card.
When I booted up this evening I noticed activity on the network connection
tray icon. On checking status I found a total of 17.45kbs sent and 12.5kbs
received.
Usually if I get activity on startup it is an automatic update (Windows is
set to inform me first) My adaware and Avast AV both notify a database
update. On this occasion I had no means of knowing what the data exchange
was or what my pc was communicating with.
I ran Adaware and found only the usual tracking cookies, all of which I
accounted for.
Does anyone know of any software ( preferably freeware or shareware) which
will monitor modem activity and tell me the remote IP address from where the
data is being sent/received ? I have not gone too deeply into the
technicalities of IP s so maybe I have missed something.

--
Mike W

why?

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 20:10:44 GMT, Mike the Brewer wrote:

x-post trimmed to 24hshd from
24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.comp.misc

>XP pro + SP2 Cable modem into ethernet card.
>When I booted up this evening I noticed activity on the network connection
>tray icon. On checking status I found a total of 17.45kbs sent and 12.5kbs
>received.

It's a bit basic as it doesn't tell you much.

>Usually if I get activity on startup it is an automatic update (Windows is
>set to inform me first) My adaware and Avast AV both notify a database

Your firewall (unnamed) log said what?

>update. On this occasion I had no means of knowing what the data exchange

netstat -a

, at a command prompt.

>was or what my pc was communicating with.

On ocassion it's been know for a BY (don't know about exNTL) scanner
to check.

You didn't say how long it was for.

>I ran Adaware and found only the usual tracking cookies, all of which I
>accounted for.
>Does anyone know of any software ( preferably freeware or shareware) which
>will monitor modem activity and tell me the remote IP address from where the
>data is being sent/received ? I have not gone too deeply into the
>technicalities of IP s so maybe I have missed something.

Nothing to do with technicalities of IP.

netstat , free from a cmd prompt

www.sysinternals.com
tcpview
process explorer
filemon
autoruns

The ng virginmedia.users.self-help.security

Me

Grooove

"Mike the Brewer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:8nfIi.964$(E-Mail Removed):

> Does anyone know of any software ( preferably freeware or shareware)
> which will monitor modem activity and tell me the remote IP address
> from where the data is being sent/received ? I have not gone too
> deeply into the technicalities of IP s so maybe I have missed
> something.

Have a look here at TCPView. This will show you the process and IP
details for each connection.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...utilities.mspx

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
David ~ Lincoln UK

Honey Sugarbutt

yes, run for cover

"Mike the Brewer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8nfIi.964$(E-Mail Removed)...
> XP pro + SP2 Cable modem into ethernet card.
> When I booted up this evening I noticed activity on the network connection
> tray icon. On checking status I found a total of 17.45kbs sent and 12.5kbs
> received.
> Usually if I get activity on startup it is an automatic update (Windows is
> set to inform me first) My adaware and Avast AV both notify a database
> update. On this occasion I had no means of knowing what the data exchange
> was or what my pc was communicating with.
> I ran Adaware and found only the usual tracking cookies, all of which I
> accounted for.
> Does anyone know of any software ( preferably freeware or shareware) which
> will monitor modem activity and tell me the remote IP address from where

the
> data is being sent/received ? I have not gone too deeply into the
> technicalities of IP s so maybe I have missed something.
>

> --
> Mike W

Alasdair

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Usually if I get activity on startup it is an automatic update (Windows is
>set to inform me first)

Please, somebody. How can I set Windows to inform me first before
installing an automatic update?

--
Alasdair.

MikE Campbell

"Mike the Brewer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8nfIi.964$(E-Mail Removed)...
> XP pro + SP2 Cable modem into ethernet card.
> When I booted up this evening I noticed activity on the network connection
> tray icon. On checking status I found a total of 17.45kbs sent and 12.5kbs
> received.
> Usually if I get activity on startup it is an automatic update (Windows is
> set to inform me first) My adaware and Avast AV both notify a database
> update. On this occasion I had no means of knowing what the data exchange
> was or what my pc was communicating with.
> I ran Adaware and found only the usual tracking cookies, all of which I
> accounted for.
> Does anyone know of any software ( preferably freeware or shareware) which
> will monitor modem activity and tell me the remote IP address from where
> the data is being sent/received ? I have not gone too deeply into the
> technicalities of IP s so maybe I have missed something.

A free firewall programme like Zone Alarm will indicate all outgoing
traffic. And you'll soon see that the amount of built in programmes (with
XP) that want to call home for one thing or another is unreal.Stuff like
Windows media player/MS office etc.. Add to that, Adobe updater/Google
updater/real networks updater/quicktime updater etc... if you have any of
them.

why?

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 00:32:58 +0100, Alasdair wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 20:10:44 GMT, "Mike the Brewer"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Usually if I get activity on startup it is an automatic update (Windows is
>>set to inform me first)

>Please, somebody. How can I set Windows to inform me first before
>installing an automatic update?

Change the update options, or
www.google.com

Maybe even, www.google.com for
change windows update options

MS product, then MS Support http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525 ,
How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP
used www.google.com to find that.

However, this
http://www.microsoft-watch.com/conte...y_updates.html
My eWEEK Labs colleague Andrew Garcia has independently confirmed a
report that will appear in tomorrow's Windows Secrets newsletter:
Windows Update is fetching and installing some updates without end
users' consent.

Me

Honey Sugarbutt

"Mike the Brewer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8nfIi.964$(E-Mail Removed)...
> XP pro + SP2 Cable modem into ethernet card.
> When I booted up this evening I noticed activity on the network connection
> tray icon. On checking status I found a total of 17.45kbs sent and 12.5kbs
> received.
> Usually if I get activity on startup it is an automatic update (Windows is
> set to inform me first) My adaware and Avast AV both notify a database
> update. On this occasion I had no means of knowing what the data exchange
> was or what my pc was communicating with.
> I ran Adaware and found only the usual tracking cookies, all of which I
> accounted for.
> Does anyone know of any software ( preferably freeware or shareware) which
> will monitor modem activity and tell me the remote IP address from where

the
> data is being sent/received ? I have not gone too deeply into the
> technicalities of IP s so maybe I have missed something.
>

> --
> Mike W

you should get activity when you boot up if using a cable modem...

William Poaster

It was on, or about, Thu, 20 Sep 2007 00:32:58 +0100, that as I was
halfway through a large jam doughnut, Alasdair wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 20:10:44 GMT, "Mike the Brewer"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Usually if I get activity on startup it is an automatic update (Windows
>>is set to inform me first)

> Please, somebody. How can I set Windows to inform me first before
> installing an automatic update?

Doubtful. See why below:-

http://windowssecrets.com/2007/09/13...ndows-without-
users-consent

http://www.zoliblog.com/2007/09/14/y...omputer-think-
twice-microsoft-shows-whos-boss/

--
Operating systems:
FreeBSD 6.2, Debian 4.0

Mike the Brewer

Yes......I used Magic Net Trace and checked out all the IPs.
Found them legit..........so no probs.
Mike