Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > zonealarm update

zonealarm update

steve

I just heard from Zonelarm that there is an important security update just
available. I have the free version of Zonealarm currently installed. Has
anyone else been invited to download the update? I don't want to download
it in case its a gimmick from Zonelarm designed to trick me into buying
the paid version.

ellis_jay

steve wrote:
> I just heard from Zonelarm that there is an important security update
> just available. I have the free version of Zonealarm currently
> installed. Has anyone else been invited to download the update? I
> don't want to download it in case its a gimmick from Zonelarm
> designed to trick me into buying the paid version.

You can do what you want, but me, I just ignore the updates, wait a while,
investigate later at some future date-month or three- and then check it out.
I see no sense in fixing what ain't broke. Many times the updates are
skins, or paid version swarthyness-bloat-. Sometimes the update is a whole
new version and I uninstall the old-wipe it clean, that is- and download the
new.

But in the mean time I listen to what others are saying about the update and
read lots before I update.

--
When people are engaged in something they are not proud of, they do
not welcome witnesses. In fact, they come to believe the witness causes

Ellis_Jay

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just heard from Zonelarm that there is an important security update just
>available. I have the free version of Zonealarm currently installed. Has
>anyone else been invited to download the update? I don't want to download
>it in case its a gimmick from Zonelarm designed to trick me into buying
>the paid version.

Don't care, I'm sticking to version 5.5.094

--

Cunning Stunt
http://www.wimp.com/f/carstunt.swf

chuckieŽ

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just heard from Zonelarm that there is an important security update just
> available. I have the free version of Zonealarm currently installed. Has
> anyone else been invited to download the update? I don't want to download
> it in case its a gimmick from Zonelarm designed to trick me into buying
> the paid version.

Apparently I'm not as cautious as y'all. I downloaded the update and
installed it. Now, bear in mind, I got just the update, not the 'free'
trial. And all seems to be running fine. No drastic changes are apparent,
wondering if it isn't, after all, just a gimmick to get one to buy the
'Professional' version, or their 'Suite'...hmmmm...

Top

chuckieŽ wrote:

> "steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I just heard from Zonelarm that there is an important security update just
>> available. I have the free version of Zonealarm currently installed. Has
>> anyone else been invited to download the update? I don't want to download
>> it in case its a gimmick from Zonelarm designed to trick me into buying
>> the paid version.
>>

> Apparently I'm not as cautious as y'all. I downloaded the update and
> installed it. Now, bear in mind, I got just the update, not the 'free'
> trial. And all seems to be running fine. No drastic changes are apparent,
> wondering if it isn't, after all, just a gimmick to get one to buy the
> 'Professional' version, or their 'Suite'...hmmmm...

Surely you don't think those commie bastards would that.

Top

Muze Groops

> "steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I just heard from Zonelarm that there is an important security update just
>> available. I have the free version of Zonealarm currently installed. Has
>> anyone else been invited to download the update? I don't want to download
>> it in case its a gimmick from Zonelarm designed to trick me into buying
>> the paid version.

> Don't care, I'm sticking to version 5.5.094

I've got CA (ZA) 5.5.114

Should I be "alarmed" ?

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Muze Groops <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> "steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I just heard from Zonelarm that there is an important security update just
>>> available. I have the free version of Zonealarm currently installed. Has
>>> anyone else been invited to download the update? I don't want to download
>>> it in case its a gimmick from Zonelarm designed to trick me into buying
>>> the paid version.

>> Don't care, I'm sticking to version 5.5.094
>>

>I've got CA (ZA) 5.5.114
>
>Should I be "alarmed" ?

if it works for you tho it's not archived
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=zalarm

5.5..094 was the version just before it went bloatware, I did
6.xxxsaw what it was and dropped back to 5.5.094, and that's where I
stay with ZA.

--

Pictures that changed the world
http://pinguy.infogami.com/blog/vwm6

Cub

> You can do what you want, but me, I just ignore the updates, wait a while,
> investigate later at some future date-month or three- and then check it
> out.
> I see no sense in fixing what ain't broke. Many times the updates are
> skins, or paid version swarthyness-bloat-. Sometimes the update is a
> whole
> new version and I uninstall the old-wipe it clean, that is- and download
> the
> new.
>
> But in the mean time I listen to what others are saying about the update
> and
> read lots before I update.

Do you update your antivirus software or wait a few months ?

I guess you update immediatly

treat zone alarm the same , it is not an UPGRADE but an UPDATE of the free
version

ellis_jay

Cub wrote:
>> You can do what you want, but me, I just ignore the updates, wait a
>> while, investigate later at some future date-month or three- and
>> then check it out.
>> I see no sense in fixing what ain't broke. Many times the updates
>> are skins, or paid version swarthyness-bloat-. Sometimes the update
>> is a whole
>> new version and I uninstall the old-wipe it clean, that is- and
>> download the
>> new.
>>
>> But in the mean time I listen to what others are saying about the
>> update and
>> read lots before I update.
>>

> Do you update your antivirus software or wait a few months ?

I update my virus whenever there are new definitions of worms, trojans, etc.

> I guess you update immediatly

With aVG or Spybot, yes.

> treat zone alarm the same , it is not an UPGRADE but an UPDATE of the
> free version

Sorry, no can do. You say this update is not an UPGRADE, and that may be,
but that scenario does not hold true each and every time in these kinds of
updates.