Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Using Firefox 3 Alpha alongside v2

Using Firefox 3 Alpha alongside v2

Miguel Guedes

Hello all,

Can Firefox 3 Alpha be used alongside v2 without bookmarks, password records,
etc, getting corrupted?

I'd very much like to help the developers by using (IOW, testing) the new
version and contributing with comments and suggestions, however I'm a bit weary
of what it might do my current v2-only data.

--
Miguel

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Miguel Guedes wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Can Firefox 3 Alpha be used alongside v2 without bookmarks, password records,
> etc, getting corrupted?
>
> I'd very much like to help the developers by using (IOW, testing) the new
> version and contributing with comments and suggestions, however I'm a bit weary
> of what it might do my current v2-only data.

you can have as many versions of FF as you like. Just make
sure that each one is installed into a separate directory,
and each one has its own profile. A profile is where all
the bookmarks, passwords, settings, etc, are kept. This
profile is separate from the program directory.

So, before you install 3, create a profile for 3 and to do
that you close 2, then click on the windows start button,
then run and enter:

firefox.exe -p

this will bring up the FF profile manager. Follow the
instructions for creating a new profile, but don't start FF
with it. When that is done, install 3 and don't use the
default install location. Install it separete from 2.
After its installed and you are ready to run it, you will
get a popup asking which profile do you want to use. Of
course, you will pick the one for 3.

And that should be it.

or Reply to Author. Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Miguel Guedes

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Miguel Guedes wrote:
>> Can Firefox 3 Alpha be used alongside v2 without bookmarks, password
>> records,
>> etc, getting corrupted?
>>
>> I'd very much like to help the developers by using (IOW, testing) the new
>> version and contributing with comments and suggestions, however I'm a
>> bit weary
>> of what it might do my current v2-only data.

> you can have as many versions of FF as you like. Just make sure that
> each one is installed into a separate directory, and each one has its
> own profile. A profile is where all the bookmarks, passwords, settings,
> etc, are kept. This profile is separate from the program directory.
>
> So, before you install 3, create a profile for 3 and to do that you
> close 2, then click on the windows start button, then run and enter:
>
> firefox.exe -p
>
> this will bring up the FF profile manager. Follow the instructions for
> creating a new profile, but don't start FF with it. When that is done,
> install 3 and don't use the default install location. Install it
> separete from 2. After its installed and you are ready to run it, you
> will get a popup asking which profile do you want to use. Of course,
> you will pick the one for 3.
>
> And that should be it.

Wasn't aware of the precious -p switch, which is just what I need!

Thanks very much.

--
Miguel