Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > 4 dead hard drives

4 dead hard drives

unlikeablePorpoise@gmail.com

I am currently building a new rig (AMD dual core, ASUS mobo, Hiper 580
watt psu, 4 IDE HDDs and 1 SATA HDD). The 4 IDE HDDs are pulls from my
old machine and are plugged into a Rosewill PCI-IDE expansion card.

Here's what happened:

All 4 of the IDE HDDs were plugged into the Rosewill PCI card and were
recognized by BIOS when I booted up the first time on the new machine
(with no OS installed yet). I rebooted and then none of the drives
were recognized. I immediatedy removed them and put them into my old
machine and to my dismay, none of them spun up.

What could have happened? All of the components are brand new except
for the 4 dead HDDs. How can 4 HDDs fail at once? Could it be the PSU?

Thanks,
Sarah

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

On Sep 19, 3:29 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I am currently building a new rig (AMD dual core, ASUS mobo, Hiper 580
> watt psu, 4 IDE HDDs and 1 SATA HDD). The 4 IDE HDDs are pulls from my
> old machine and are plugged into a Rosewill PCI-IDE expansion card.
>
> Here's what happened:
>
> All 4 of the IDE HDDs were plugged into the Rosewill PCI card and were
> recognized by BIOS when I booted up the first time on the new machine
> (with no OS installed yet). I rebooted and then none of the drives
> were recognized. I immediatedy removed them and put them into my old
> machine and to my dismay, none of them spun up.
>
> What could have happened? All of the components are brand new except
> for the 4 dead HDDs. How can 4 HDDs fail at once? Could it be the PSU?
>
> Thanks,
> Sarah

Hiper is a terrible PSU. I bought a few once on recommendation. The
voltages went everywhere. I tested it with a multimeter. It didn't
break the hard drives though.

FSP is a cheap but good make. Or expensive ones like Antec or PC Power
and Cooling.

Odd how the SATA drive didn't break. 'cos that's plugged into the
power supply too.

Personally, i'd stick a note on the PSU with a warning.. and put it on
my shelf. Or since I have so many Good spare PSUs i'd throw it out.

I don't know how much your PCI-IDE card was, and I don't know if/how
it could've messed it up . But the fact that only your IDE drives
went, suggests the possibility that it did it, or played a part. I'd
label it very clearly, and put it on the shelf in the back, far away,
or in a box with other potentially bad things.

I have kept parts that i've labelled 90% chance broken. But I rarely
use them, i usually get another one. But if it's 90% chance a
killer!!! then i'd prob throw it out. If I labelled it then i
wouldn't use it. Except maybe for curiousity to test it.

If you ever have old motherboards, and old hard drives the potentially
dodgy PSU and the potentially dodgy PCI-IDE card then you could test
again!!! See if it's repeatable. And try with a different PCI-IDE
card. A different PSU.
It's likely that you'll be able to prove that the PCI-IDE card didn't
play a part, and you may want to take it out of retirement - if you
had ever retired it.

unlikeablePorpoise@gmail.com

On Sep 19, 10:24 am, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sep 19, 3:29 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

> > I am currently building a new rig (AMD dual core, ASUS mobo, Hiper 580
> > watt psu, 4 IDE HDDs and 1 SATA HDD). The 4 IDE HDDs are pulls from my
> > old machine and are plugged into a Rosewill PCI-IDE expansion card.

> > Here's what happened:

> > All 4 of the IDE HDDs were plugged into the Rosewill PCI card and were
> > recognized by BIOS when I booted up the first time on the new machine
> > (with no OS installed yet). I rebooted and then none of the drives
> > were recognized. I immediatedy removed them and put them into my old
> > machine and to my dismay, none of them spun up.

> > What could have happened? All of the components are brand new except
> > for the 4 dead HDDs. How can 4 HDDs fail at once? Could it be the PSU?

> > Thanks,
> > Sarah

> Hiper is a terrible PSU. I bought a few once on recommendation. The
> voltages went everywhere. I tested it with a multimeter. It didn't
> break the hard drives though.
>
> FSP is a cheap but good make. Or expensive ones like Antec or PC Power
> and Cooling.
>
> Odd how the SATA drive didn't break. 'cos that's plugged into the
> power supply too.
>
> Personally, i'd stick a note on the PSU with a warning.. and put it on
> my shelf. Or since I have so many Good spare PSUs i'd throw it out.
>
> I don't know how much your PCI-IDE card was, and I don't know if/how
> it could've messed it up . But the fact that only your IDE drives
> went, suggests the possibility that it did it, or played a part. I'd
> label it very clearly, and put it on the shelf in the back, far away,
> or in a box with other potentially bad things.
>
> I have kept parts that i've labelled 90% chance broken. But I rarely
> use them, i usually get another one. But if it's 90% chance a
> killer!!! then i'd prob throw it out. If I labelled it then i
> wouldn't use it. Except maybe for curiousity to test it.
>
> If you ever have old motherboards, and old hard drives the potentially
> dodgy PSU and the potentially dodgy PCI-IDE card then you could test
> again!!! See if it's repeatable. And try with a different PCI-IDE
> card. A different PSU.
> It's likely that you'll be able to prove that the PCI-IDE card didn't
> play a part, and you may want to take it out of retirement - if you
> had ever retired it.- Hide quoted text -

I wondered the same thing (about why the SATA didn't die). I don't
remember, but I think I had the SATA plugged into a different
connector on the PSU. The 4 IDE HDDs were connected by one Molex from
the PSU and daisy-chained. Perhaps that single PSU line is putting out
too much voltage. This is a modular power supply, so I could isolate
the (potentially) bad line.

I have always used Enermax PSUs and never had a problem. I am going to
RMA the Hiper PSU and get an Enermax.

Thanks,
Sarah

Paul

> [...]

>> If you ever have old motherboards, and old hard drives the potentially
>> dodgy PSU and the potentially dodgy PCI-IDE card then you could test
>> again!!! See if it's repeatable. And try with a different PCI-IDE
>> card. A different PSU.
>> It's likely that you'll be able to prove that the PCI-IDE card didn't
>> play a part, and you may want to take it out of retirement - if you
>> had ever retired it.- Hide quoted text -

> I wondered the same thing (about why the SATA didn't die). I don't
> remember, but I think I had the SATA plugged into a different
> connector on the PSU. The 4 IDE HDDs were connected by one Molex from
> the PSU and daisy-chained. Perhaps that single PSU line is putting out
> too much voltage. This is a modular power supply, so I could isolate
> the (potentially) bad line.
>
> I have always used Enermax PSUs and never had a problem. I am going to

The problem could be with the Rosewill card, damaging the ribbon cable
interface on anything connected to it. If other drives were powered
from the same power supply and were not affected, I would suspect
the controller card.

Paul