Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Hauppage Tuners and Vista x64

Hauppage Tuners and Vista x64

XS11E

"John Adams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have two Hauppage HVR 1800 tuner cards in my Vista Ultimate x64
> system. They work just fine, not any problems with the cards
> themselves. My only question is this: is there some difference
> between the quality of the x64 drivers and the x86 drivers? Or
> perhaps is there a difference in the quality of the x64 MPEG
> codec? I only ask because the iamge quality from these cards is
> noticeably more grainy than the image on my x86 system. All of
> the other graphics look fine and DVDs look very crisp and clean.
> Anyone else have a similar experience with Hauppage cards on x64?
> Is there anything I can do?

I have a Hauppauge in my computer running Vista Ultimate 64 and it's
very clear with .mpgs, viewing HDTV, etc. I wonder if having the dual
cards might be the problem?

John Adams

I have two Hauppage HVR 1800 tuner cards in my Vista Ultimate x64 system.
They work just fine, not any problems with the cards themselves. My only
question is this: is there some difference between the quality of the x64
drivers and the x86 drivers? Or perhaps is there a difference in the
quality of the x64 MPEG codec? I only ask because the iamge quality from
these cards is noticeably more grainy than the image on my x86 system. All
of the other graphics look fine and DVDs look very crisp and clean. Anyone
else have a similar experience with Hauppage cards on x64? Is there
anything I can do?

System Specs:

Intel Core2 Duo 6750 2.66Ghz (1333 FSB)
4GB Corsair DDR2
ASUS P5K Deluxe WiFi/AP
BFG nVidia GeForce 8800 GS 320MB
Dual Hauppage HVR 1800 Tuner Cards

- John

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

John:
If I understood correctly you have an x86 separate PC in which the signal is
not grainy or, at least, not so grainy.
That could be due to two facts:
1.- Tuner gain. The ones in the x64 PC might have lower gain and behave
"grainy" under marginal signal conditions.
2.- Unproperly assembled RF signal connector feedingthe x64 system. Try
unplugging the antenna cable from you x86 rig and plug it in your x64 PC.
Good luck!
Carlos
(a long time ago manufacturer of TV sets)