Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Stupid question - PAP2T UK

Stupid question - PAP2T UK

Michael

Folks - me again.

I'm really not that bright technically - but I manage if you know what
I mean.

I have replaced my SPA1001 for a PAP2T UK (unlocked) - the idea is to
have two physical phone lines side by side to allow my daughter to have
her own physical and independent phone line that she can run at the
same time as the normal house phone is used by the rest of us.

Prior to the decision to buy the PAP2T - i saw the following .....

Linksys SPA Series Analogue Telephone Adapter (ATA) Comparison Chart
Model SPA1001 - Service Lines 2 - Active Calls 2 - 3-Way Call 1 -
Conferences 1 - Network Ports 1

Model PAP2T Service Lines 2 - Active Calls 4 - 3-Way Call 2 - Network
Ports 2

It was the active calls at 4 that swung it coupled with the fact it
provided two physical lines / RJ11 connections.

I have been able to set up the device to allow one account per line -
but cannot for the life of me work out how I can have 4 active calls if
I can only register with two VoIP providers at any one time - the
device only caters for two lines (as did the SPA1001 -though it had
only one physical RJ port).

I was hoping to be able to utilise both my Voip.co.uk AND my Sipgate
account on line 1 and have my daughter with her own separate account on
line 2 - but cannot see how this can be done.

I have upgraded the device to the latest firmware.

Any advice would be appreciated (in simple English please).

Thanks

Mick

Brian A

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:34:17 GMT, "Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Folks - me again.
>
>I'm really not that bright technically - but I manage if you know what
>I mean.
>
>I have replaced my SPA1001 for a PAP2T UK (unlocked) - the idea is to
>have two physical phone lines side by side to allow my daughter to have
>her own physical and independent phone line that she can run at the
>same time as the normal house phone is used by the rest of us.
>
>Prior to the decision to buy the PAP2T - i saw the following .....
>
>Linksys SPA Series Analogue Telephone Adapter (ATA) Comparison Chart
>Model SPA1001 - Service Lines 2 - Active Calls 2 - 3-Way Call 1 -
>Conferences 1 - Network Ports 1
>
>Model PAP2T Service Lines 2 - Active Calls 4 - 3-Way Call 2 - Network
>Ports 2
>
>It was the active calls at 4 that swung it coupled with the fact it
>provided two physical lines / RJ11 connections.
>
>I have been able to set up the device to allow one account per line -
>but cannot for the life of me work out how I can have 4 active calls if
>I can only register with two VoIP providers at any one time - the
>device only caters for two lines (as did the SPA1001 -though it had
>only one physical RJ port).
>
>I was hoping to be able to utilise both my Voip.co.uk AND my Sipgate
>account on line 1 and have my daughter with her own separate account on
>line 2 - but cannot see how this can be done.

If you are wanting to receive calls from both Sipgate and voip.co.uk
on a single line - you can't! It would mean being able to register
both and there ain't provision for that.
If you want to receive calls on one provider and make calls via both,
on a single line - again you can't unless, in the dial plan, it allows
provider host, username and password to be entered as is supposed to
work with the SPA-3000 but it doesn't. Hence I don't think you would
get that working - unless someone here knows to the contrary.
For what you want to do you could use voxalot.com For free you can
have as many outgoing providers as you wish but you have to pay now to
register a provider (for your incoming calls). For just a single
provider, on one account, it is US$15/year (7.45)
You would then register voxalot on your PAP2. Voxalot has a good
voicemail and has selective call forwarding. That means that you can
send some callers direct to voicemail and you can stop all calls
between certain hours. So, you can do quite a lot of things for your
money. I find the eu.voxalot.com server to be reliable.
If you have a voiptalk number it is possible to direct that number to
voxalot and avoid paying for registration. Just simply direct the
voiptalk number to your voxalot sip account.
---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Get your friends to sign too!
TV.
---

Jono

Michael formulated on Tuesday :
> Folks - me again.
>
> I'm really not that bright technically - but I manage if you know what
> I mean.
>
> I have replaced my SPA1001 for a PAP2T UK (unlocked) - the idea is to
> have two physical phone lines side by side to allow my daughter to have
> her own physical and independent phone line that she can run at the
> same time as the normal house phone is used by the rest of us.
>
> Prior to the decision to buy the PAP2T - i saw the following .....
>
> Linksys SPA Series Analogue Telephone Adapter (ATA) Comparison Chart
> Model SPA1001 - Service Lines 2 - Active Calls 2 - 3-Way Call 1 -
> Conferences 1 - Network Ports 1
>
> Model PAP2T Service Lines 2 - Active Calls 4 - 3-Way Call 2 - Network
> Ports 2

I can only think that it refers to the number of "three-way" conference
calls you can have. the PAP2 can, indeed, set up 4 calls and conference
them with the two handsets - admittedly there would be 2 x separate
conferences of 3.

> It was the active calls at 4 that swung it coupled with the fact it
> provided two physical lines / RJ11 connections.

Not 4 separate calls, though.

> I have been able to set up the device to allow one account per line -
> but cannot for the life of me work out how I can have 4 active calls if
> I can only register with two VoIP providers at any one time - the
> device only caters for two lines (as did the SPA1001 -though it had
> only one physical RJ port).

Because you can't.

> I was hoping to be able to utilise both my Voip.co.uk AND my Sipgate
> account on line 1 and have my daughter with her own separate account on
> line 2 - but cannot see how this can be done.

For that, I would suggest making use of the services of Voxalot, if
possible.

Using Voxalot, their server would register to both Sipgate(*) &
voip.co.uk, in turn, your device would register with voxalot's server,
allowing you to use either provider on Line One - as far as the PAP2
would be concerned, it would only see Voxalot.

(*)..........I think I recall, though, that Sipgate don't allow Voxalot
.....If they don't, without something like a Fritz!box or a Linksys
SPA8000, I'm not sure what to suggest, other than setting yourself up
with an Asterisk PBX...

could you not get a 2nd number from voip.co.uk & bin Sipgate?

> I have upgraded the device to the latest firmware.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated (in simple English please).
>
> Thanks
>
> Mick

Michael

Jono wrote:

> Michael formulated on Tuesday :
> > Folks - me again.
> >
> > I'm really not that bright technically - but I manage if you know
> > what I mean.
> >
> > I have replaced my SPA1001 for a PAP2T UK (unlocked) - the idea is
> > to have two physical phone lines side by side to allow my daughter
> > to have her own physical and independent phone line that she can
> > run at the same time as the normal house phone is used by the rest
> > of us.
> >
> > Prior to the decision to buy the PAP2T - i saw the following .....
> >
> > Linksys SPA Series Analogue Telephone Adapter (ATA) Comparison
> > Chart Model SPA1001 - Service Lines 2 - Active Calls 2 - 3-Way
> > Call 1 - Conferences 1 - Network Ports 1 Model PAP2T Service
> > Lines 2 - Active Calls 4 - 3-Way Call 2 - Network Ports 2

> I can only think that it refers to the number of "three-way"
> conference calls you can have. the PAP2 can, indeed, set up 4 calls
> and conference them with the two handsets - admittedly there would be
> 2 x separate conferences of 3.
>
> > It was the active calls at 4 that swung it coupled with the fact it
> > provided two physical lines / RJ11 connections.

> Not 4 separate calls, though.
>

> > I have been able to set up the device to allow one account per line
> > - but cannot for the life of me work out how I can have 4 active
> > calls if I can only register with two VoIP providers at any one
> > time - the device only caters for two lines (as did the SPA1001
> > -though it had only one physical RJ port).

> Because you can't.
>
> > I was hoping to be able to utilise both my Voip.co.uk AND my Sipgate
> > account on line 1 and have my daughter with her own separate
> > account on line 2 - but cannot see how this can be done.

> For that, I would suggest making use of the services of Voxalot, if
> possible.
>
> Using Voxalot, their server would register to both Sipgate(*) &
> voip.co.uk, in turn, your device would register with voxalot's
> server, allowing you to use either provider on Line One - as far as
> the PAP2 would be concerned, it would only see Voxalot.
>
> (*)..........I think I recall, though, that Sipgate don't allow
> Voxalot ....If they don't, without something like a Fritz!box or a
> Linksys SPA8000, I'm not sure what to suggest, other than setting
> yourself up with an Asterisk PBX...
>
> could you not get a 2nd number from voip.co.uk & bin Sipgate?
>
> > I have upgraded the device to the latest firmware.
> >
> > Any advice would be appreciated (in simple English please).
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Mick

Folks - many thanks. It had to be too good to be true - but at least I
have two physical lines.

Thanks for the quick feedback.

Regards

Mick

Tim

Michael wrote:
> I have been able to set up the device to allow one account per line -
> but cannot for the life of me work out how I can have 4 active calls if
> I can only register with two VoIP providers at any one time -

It is possible to make more than 1 call at the same time through the
same service provider on one port. Just put the call on hold and dial
again (I forget the *codes to do this, but it is possible)

> the
> device only caters for two lines (as did the SPA1001 -though it had
> only one physical RJ port).

You have struck on the main advantage of the SPA-1001 - 2 SIP accounts
on the same physical phone. No other ATA does this.

Although it is standard with none ATA devices such as any Snom phone or
Siemens S450IP.

> I was hoping to be able to utilise both my Voip.co.uk AND my Sipgate
> account on line 1 and have my daughter with her own separate account on
> line 2 - but cannot see how this can be done.

Maybe you should have bought a Siemens S450IP + S45 additional handset
This allows for 6 SIP accounts, which you can share out between the
handsets as you please.

Tim

Michael

--

> It is possible to make more than 1 call at the same time through the
> same service provider on one port. Just put the call on hold and
> dial again (I forget the *codes to do this, but it is possible)

Ah - that's a good idea - hadn't thought of that .....

whilst were at it ..... the advertising blurb states it caters for
music on hold .... any idea how to do that??

Mick

Roger Mills

Michael <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Folks - many thanks. It had to be too good to be true - but at least
> I have two physical lines.

Or possibly 3 if your BB is over a BT line rather than cable. [I'm not sure
what you were referring to as the 'normal house phone' in your first post -
is this on a BT line, or just the other VoIP line?]

FWIW, my wife and I each have one port on our PAP2T, each with its own
number, allocated by voip.co.uk We make virtually all of our outgoing calls
over VoIP, and keep the BT line mainly for incoming calls. We use our BT
number as the outgoing Caller ID on the VoIP lines, so that anyone 'ringing
back' automatically comes in on the BT line. We each have a 2-line phone,
with one line connected to BT and the other to VoIP.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Michael

Roger Mills wrote:

> In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
> Michael <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Folks - many thanks. It had to be too good to be true - but at
> > least I have two physical lines.
> >

> Or possibly 3 if your BB is over a BT line rather than cable. [I'm
> not sure what you were referring to as the 'normal house phone' in
> your first post - is this on a BT line, or just the other VoIP line?]
>
> FWIW, my wife and I each have one port on our PAP2T, each with its
> own number, allocated by voip.co.uk We make virtually all of our
> outgoing calls over VoIP, and keep the BT line mainly for incoming
> calls. We use our BT number as the outgoing Caller ID on the VoIP
> lines, so that anyone 'ringing back' automatically comes in on the BT
> line. We each have a 2-line phone, with one line connected to BT and
> the other to VoIP.

Sorry Roger -it's an issue of VoIP being the 'norm' - by house phone I
meant the voip.co.uk phone line - we have been using it as the 'house
phone' now for some considerable time. We have mobiles as backup should
the worst happen.

As a PAP2 user - do you have knowledge as to how to achieve music on
hold - or even how to put a call on hold in the first place!?

Mick

Jono

Michael expressed precisely :

> As a PAP2 user - do you have knowledge as to how to achieve music on
> hold - or even how to put a call on hold in the first place!?

You would enter the IP address of a MOH streaming server to play Music
on Hold - I had a cursory google for one....and drew a blank, though.

Pressing the R key on a connected handset should put a caller on hold &
give you a second dial tone.

Michael

Jono wrote:

> Michael expressed precisely :
>

> > As a PAP2 user - do you have knowledge as to how to achieve music
> > on hold - or even how to put a call on hold in the first place!?

> You would enter the IP address of a MOH streaming server to play
> Music on Hold - I had a cursory google for one....and drew a blank,
> though.
>
> Pressing the R key on a connected handset should put a caller on hold
> & give you a second dial tone.

I searched music on hold as opposed to MOH and got various results.
It's now firmly parked in the too hard to do tray and that's where that
will stay!

I found an equivalent of the R key - so that was good advice (thanks)
...... all I have to do now is sort out the others such as call back.
...... don't suppose anybody has a .pdf or .doc copy of the user manual
for BT Synergy 3105 phone do they??!

Mick