Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Voipcheap & caller-id (FritzBox)

Voipcheap & caller-id (FritzBox)

Philippe Deleye

I'm using the FritzBox with Voipcheap for outgoing calls
I have registered my landline caller-id (format 003256xxxx) with Voipcheap
client.
This worked for many months now ....
But recently, many - not all - outgoing calls are not coming with the
caller-id presented

Checked with another user in Belgium - he has the same problem.

Anybody else having the same issues ?

I can only see 2 reasons:
* or a problem (temporarely I hope) at Voipcheap
* or the Belgian Telephone Company (Belgacom) does not like calls from
outside their network with a Belgian caller-id, and intercepts these calls.
I would suspect the latter, if users outside Belgium are not experiencing
the same issues....

Any touhts ?
rgds
Philippe

Herman

In UK, BT block all international CLI and present it as "International" (the
theory being that they can't validate it). As a lot of the vc.com calls are
"bounced" to a third country a lot of the time, this happens a lot.

I guess if it only tends to happen with one inbound provider (and not on
mobiles for example) then I would tend to suspect an issue with a carrier
downstream.

--

"Philippe Deleye" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46f0357c$0$14233$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm using the FritzBox with Voipcheap for outgoing calls
> I have registered my landline caller-id (format 003256xxxx) with Voipcheap
> client.
> This worked for many months now ....
> But recently, many - not all - outgoing calls are not coming with the
> caller-id presented
>
> Checked with another user in Belgium - he has the same problem.
>
> Anybody else having the same issues ?
>
> I can only see 2 reasons:
> * or a problem (temporarely I hope) at Voipcheap
> * or the Belgian Telephone Company (Belgacom) does not like calls from
> outside their network with a Belgian caller-id, and intercepts these
> calls.
> I would suspect the latter, if users outside Belgium are not experiencing
> the same issues....
>
> Any touhts ?
> rgds
> Philippe

Graham.

"Philippe Deleye" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46f0357c$0$14233$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm using the FritzBox with Voipcheap for outgoing calls
> I have registered my landline caller-id (format 003256xxxx) with Voipcheap
> client.
> This worked for many months now ....
> But recently, many - not all - outgoing calls are not coming with the
> caller-id presented
>
> Checked with another user in Belgium - he has the same problem.
>
> Anybody else having the same issues ?
>
> I can only see 2 reasons:
> * or a problem (temporarely I hope) at Voipcheap
> * or the Belgian Telephone Company (Belgacom) does not like calls from
> outside their network with a Belgian caller-id, and intercepts these
> calls.
> I would suspect the latter, if users outside Belgium are not experiencing
> the same issues....
>
> Any touhts ?
> rgds
> Philippe

..com or dot.co.uk?

I set up my voipcheap.com line to send my landline
number, but I only did it 6 days ago, after seeing a post
about it here. I am using a Linksys PAP2 but
accessing my providers via Voxalot, so I needed to
put the "authorised" CLI in the Voxalot "from user"
setting. It seems to work 100% of the time to
BT lines, Vodaphone (UK) and Orange (UK).

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Philippe Deleye

"Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fcpe53$pfd$(E-Mail Removed)...

> .com or dot.co.uk?

Voipcheap.com

> I set up my voipcheap.com line to send my landline
> number, but I only did it 6 days ago, after seeing a post
> about it here. I am using a Linksys PAP2 but
> accessing my providers via Voxalot, so I needed to
> put the "authorised" CLI in the Voxalot "from user"
> setting. It seems to work 100% of the time to
> BT lines, Vodaphone (UK) and Orange (UK).

Sinna

Philippe Deleye wrote:
> I'm using the FritzBox with Voipcheap for outgoing calls
> I have registered my landline caller-id (format 003256xxxx) with Voipcheap
> client.
> This worked for many months now ....

I suggest you try to verify your land-line phone number again. I did
recently to enable CallerID on my Linksys SPA 3102 and it works like a
charm.

> But recently, many - not all - outgoing calls are not coming with the
> caller-id presented
>
> Checked with another user in Belgium - he has the same problem.
>
> Anybody else having the same issues ?

No

> I can only see 2 reasons:
> * or a problem (temporarely I hope) at Voipcheap

Doesn't seem to be as my land-line number appears correctly.
> * or the Belgian Telephone Company (Belgacom) does not like calls from
> outside their network with a Belgian caller-id, and intercepts these calls.

Nope, as I'm also a Belgian citizen.
> I would suspect the latter, if users outside Belgium are not experiencing
> the same issues....
>
> Any touhts ?
> rgds
> Philippe

Sinna

alexd

Herman wrote:

> In UK, BT block all international CLI and present it as "International"
> (the theory being that they can't validate it).

Interesting. The BT PRI we use at work regularly displays CallerID numbers
for calls from the US, Gibraltar and Singapore.

09:03:51 up 63 days, 14:50, 2 users, load average: 0.13, 0.19, 0.18
09 f9 11 02 9d 74 e3 5b d8 41 56 c5 63 56 88 c0

TheDragon

Not at all. I have an international line. When I ring friends on it the
number comes up as 00xxx xxxxxxx etc etc. Same as my mobile if i ring the uk
on that, the CLID is presented with no issues.

If the number is withheld, and international you get the symptoms your
describing.

Oldie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Sinna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Philippe Deleye wrote:
> > I'm using the FritzBox with Voipcheap for outgoing calls
> > I have registered my landline caller-id (format 003256xxxx) with Voipcheap
> > client.
> > This worked for many months now ....

> I suggest you try to verify your land-line phone number again. I did
> recently to enable CallerID on my Linksys SPA 3102 and it works like a
> charm.

I can confirm this. I had the same problem with Voipdiscount and when I
checked the client the verifications had gone. I re-verified and now
Caller ID now works well from my ATA and also via Voxalot. Seems as if
you to have to check it regularly.

I haven't worked out the timing but it could be related to the top-up.
When you think about it there is a logic in it because you could well
have moved and lost your true number at some stage. Would be nice to
have a reminder though.

Oldie

Sinna

Oldie wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Sinna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Philippe Deleye wrote:
>>> I'm using the FritzBox with Voipcheap for outgoing calls
>>> I have registered my landline caller-id (format 003256xxxx) with Voipcheap
>>> client.
>>> This worked for many months now ....

>> I suggest you try to verify your land-line phone number again. I did
>> recently to enable CallerID on my Linksys SPA 3102 and it works like a
>> charm.

> I can confirm this. I had the same problem with Voipdiscount and when I
> checked the client the verifications had gone. I re-verified and now
> Caller ID now works well from my ATA and also via Voxalot. Seems as if
> you to have to check it regularly.
>
> I haven't worked out the timing but it could be related to the top-up.
> When you think about it there is a logic in it because you could well
> have moved and lost your true number at some stage. Would be nice to
> have a reminder though.
>
> Oldie

Perhaps you post a message in their forum suggesting this reminder.
Would be very helpful sometimes.
In the meanwhile getting a notification of running out of credit would
be welcome too, especially if you're using their service with a
SIP-enabled device instead of their client.

Sinna

Herman

"TheDragon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Not at all. I have an international line. When I ring friends on it the
> number comes up as 00xxx xxxxxxx etc etc. Same as my mobile if i ring the
> uk on that, the CLID is presented with no issues.
>
> If the number is withheld, and international you get the symptoms your
> describing.

calls out using VC work fine with mobiles but not on BT (often shows as
international).

I guess it could be the fact that it is sent as a presentation number then?