Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows 98SE looks for Spybot in the wrong place

Reply
Thread Tools

Windows 98SE looks for Spybot in the wrong place

 
 
DemoDisk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-18-2007
Hi, all;

This started several weeks ago, when I was running SCANDISK from Safe
mode (as recommended here). If I attempt to use the USB mouse to
navigate or select, Safe mode goes nuts, opening apps, dialog boxes
wherever the cursor travels. Somewhere in that mess, Win98SE was told to
check for Spybot first on the A: drive. I think.

Now when I double-click on Spybot S&D for update or a system scan, the
system first polls the A: drive once, then again quickly several times.
Then it opens normally.

I've checked in Spybots settings and Properties, but I don't see
anything telling it to try A: before it checks the C: drive, and I don't
know how to make it stop polling A:

Please help, and I hope it's an easy question.

Thanks,
JPM



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
penguin676
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2007
DemoDisk wrote:
>Hi, all;
>
>This started several weeks ago, when I was running SCANDISK from Safe
>mode (as recommended here). If I attempt to use the USB mouse to
>navigate or select, Safe mode goes nuts, opening apps, dialog boxes
>wherever the cursor travels. Somewhere in that mess, Win98SE was told to
>check for Spybot first on the A: drive. I think.
>
>Now when I double-click on Spybot S&D for update or a system scan, the
>system first polls the A: drive once, then again quickly several times.
>Then it opens normally.
>
>I've checked in Spybots settings and Properties, but I don't see
>anything telling it to try A: before it checks the C: drive, and I don't
>know how to make it stop polling A:
>
>Please help, and I hope it's an easy question.
>
>Thanks,
>JPM


Greetings;

I have the same thing happening. I also have Win98SE and starting a few
weeks ago when I open Spybot S&D it looks at the A: drive first. I just
figured there was something in one of their updates that was making it
do that.

If you find out any more info post back here and let us know.

Penguin must run. Have cookie will travel.
-Chris
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
DemoDisk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-21-2007

"penguin676" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have the same thing happening. I also have Win98SE and starting a

few
> weeks ago when I open Spybot S&D it looks at the A: drive first. I

just
> figured there was something in one of their updates that was making it
> do that.
>
> If you find out any more info post back here and let us know.
>
> Penguin must run. Have cookie will travel.
> -Chris


Thanks, Chris. I didn't think I'd get an answer after 2 days! I'm
trying the AV newsgroups as well. May be some luck there.

Do you get the same weird Safe mode stuff? Where any cursor motion
triggers windows and dialog boxes everywhere?

JPM


 
Reply With Quote
 
penguin676
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-22-2007
DemoDisk wrote:
>"penguin676" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>
>> I have the same thing happening. I also have Win98SE and starting a

>few
>> weeks ago when I open Spybot S&D it looks at the A: drive first. I

>just
>> figured there was something in one of their updates that was making it
>> do that.
>>
>> If you find out any more info post back here and let us know.
>>
>> Penguin must run. Have cookie will travel.
>> -Chris

>
>Thanks, Chris. I didn't think I'd get an answer after 2 days! I'm
>trying the AV newsgroups as well. May be some luck there.
>
>Do you get the same weird Safe mode stuff? Where any cursor motion
>triggers windows and dialog boxes everywhere?
>
>JPM


Greetings;

No, I'm not getting any other issues. I update Spybot in Normal mode
and then boot to Safe mode to do the scanning...I've never had any
strange cursor action. Sorry I can't help you with that.

Penguin must run. Have cookie will travel.
-Chris
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Torrent looks good. . . converted DVD files looks horrible. . . WHY!?! novak.arthur@gmail.com DVD Video 4 02-11-2007 06:57 PM
Worm\Spybot (P2P-Worm.Win32.SpyBot.a) Danny Computer Information 0 08-14-2005 01:09 PM
Can I run FireFox 1.0 for Windows on a 200 mhz PC, Windows 98se? Requirements say 233 mhz Nate Goulet Firefox 4 02-22-2005 07:00 AM
worm/spybot.17.t (worm spybot 17t) detected by AVG code_wrong Computer Security 0 05-15-2004 04:40 PM
Google takes Spybot searches to the worng place Jason M NZ Computing 32 03-07-2004 05:31 AM



Advertisments