Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Fonts

Fonts

Gufus

Hi G,

Tuesday September 18 2007, G writes to Gufus:

> From: .@.
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html
> Don't cha just love it when everyone knows what's best?

Thanks.

--
K Klement

.... What this country needs is a dime that will buy a good five cent bagel.

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)134.z1.fidonet.org>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Gufus) wrote:

> Hi Beauregard,
>
> Tuesday September 18 2007, Beauregard T. Shagnasty writes to All:
>
> > From: (E-Mail Removed)lid
> > Yep! According to Gufus' sig, this appears to be his web
> > site:

> So?

B is asleep at the moment, so allow me. I think he might have
meant that your site starts off with (dictates) unnaturally
small fonts and therefore hard to read as is. B does not think
you should be using Transitional doc type unless you are
transitionaling from something. And there are other things about
the heavy use of javascript that I dare not go into that he will
be raising an eyebrow about.

Honestly, Gufus, better let him sleep, because if he wakes
prematurely, I am getting out of here, sparks are a goin' to
fly...

--
dorayme

Bergamot

Gufus wrote:

> Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif
>
> This is best, then you should be compatible with everything.

If you want to be compatible with everything, drop the first 3 choices
there.

- Verdana has known problems, which others have commented on.
- Arial is just plain ugly - why choose an ugly font just because it's
common?
- Helvetica is highly variable, thus unpredictable. Compare URW to Adobe
Helvetica to see for yourself.

The generic sans-serif wins by a landslide. Or the generic serif if that
style goes better with the overall design.

Or here's a novel idea: leave the family out altogether and let your
visitors decide for themselves what font to use.

--
Berg

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dorayme wrote:

> Honestly, Gufus, better let him sleep, because if he wakes
> prematurely, I am getting out of here, sparks are a goin' to
> fly...

<lol> You expounded on just about everything - except the purple
background.

For some reason, Gufus' posts do not arrive in my newsreader. Yours come
in as a direct reply to mine. Doesn't seem to be anything in my killfile
that would affect his posts (which I found at GG).

Gufus said "So?"
Would I hire a web designer whose own site I could not read?
That second paragraph on G's main page is .. well .. funny!

--
-bts

Animesh K

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Animesh K wrote:
>
>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>>> http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html

>> Actually IE 6.0 has has problems in displaying diacritics (characters
>> with a dot-below the alphabet) with "Trebuchet MS". I prefer Tahoma
>> over Trebuchet for that reason.

> Didn't know that, as I don't use diacritics in any of my pages.

Link this for a proof:

http://stutimandal.blogspot.com/2007...akastakam.html

This page shows fine in FF or Opera. Safari/IE7.0 put slightly bigger
replacement characters. And IE 6.0 just fails.

I guess Trebuchet MS lacks the diacritics fonts. (though it is just a
dot above/below the regularly ASCII alphabets).

Best,

Animesh K

Animesh K wrote:
> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Animesh K wrote:

>>> Actually IE 6.0 has has problems in displaying diacritics (characters
>>> with a dot-below the alphabet) with "Trebuchet MS". I prefer Tahoma
>>> over Trebuchet for that reason.

>> Didn't know that, as I don't use diacritics in any of my pages.
>>

> Link this for a proof:
>
> http://stutimandal.blogspot.com/2007...akastakam.html
>
> This page shows fine in FF or Opera. Safari/IE7.0 put slightly bigger
> replacement characters. And IE 6.0 just fails.
>
> I guess Trebuchet MS lacks the diacritics fonts. (though it is just a
> dot above/below the regularly ASCII alphabets).
>
> Best,

And here the same text displays fine in IE 6.0 with Tahoma

http://www.stutimandal.com/new/poemgen.php?id=33

Gufus

Hi Bergamot,

Tuesday September 18 2007, Bergamot writes to Gufus:

> From: (E-Mail Removed)
> The generic sans-serif wins by a landslide. Or the generic
> serif if that style goes better with the overall design.

> Or here's a novel idea: leave the family out altogether and
> let your visitors decide for themselves what font to use.

Thanks for your input Berg.

Cheers from Calgary.

--
K Klement

.... You will be aided greatly by a person whom you thought to be unimportant.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Animesh K wrote:

>> Link this for a proof:

Thanks for those, but I think I would like to keep the focus of the page
on the font size issue. The only reason I listed font families there was
to show the absence of Verdana.

'Tis interesting, though. I'd never noticed, being an English-only
writer.

--
-bts

dorayme

In article <fcplmp$1dub$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Animesh K <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> http://stutimandal.blogspot.com/2007...akastakam.html
>
> This page shows fine in FF or Opera. Safari/IE7.0 put slightly bigger
> replacement characters. And IE 6.0 just fails.
>
> I guess Trebuchet MS lacks the diacritics fonts. (though it is just a
> dot above/below the regularly ASCII alphabets).
>
> Best,

In my Safari 2 and FF (Mac):

"posted by Stutiman?d?ala @ 12:17 PM"

except that the ? is a small bordered unfilled square.

Mostly fine though. Mac IE (perhaps not too surprisingly) is not
up to the job at all.

--
dorayme

Blinky the Shark

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
>
>> Honestly, Gufus, better let him sleep, because if he wakes
>> prematurely, I am getting out of here, sparks are a goin' to
>> fly...

> <lol> You expounded on just about everything - except the
> purple background.
>
> For some reason, Gufus' posts do not arrive in my newsreader.
> Yours come in as a direct reply to mine. Doesn't seem to be
> anything in my killfile that would affect his posts (which I
> found at GG).

Using a WeirdSoftware filter?

"SoupGate is an easy to setup gateway for Fidonet<->Internet for use
with a Soup mail client (which is included).
SoupGate supports both Binkley and ArcMail style outbounds."

Development seems to have pretty much stopped at the beta state in
2000.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups