Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > ExpressCard wireless adapter vs PC card wireless adapter

=?Utf-8?B?a2V2aW5sYQ==?=

ExpressCard wireless adapter vs PC wireless adapter

I am trying to decide between two laptops. They both are basically the same
except for one has an ExpressCard slot and the other has a PC card slot.

How much faster will an ExpressCard notebook adapter versus a standard PC
card adapter. Both adapters are made for the Dlink Extreme N router. Does
anyone know about these two specific adapters and their speed? If not, in
general, how much faster should the ExpressCard be? I will be using the
router to share an internet connection. From the prodcut description; "the
ExpressCard interface provides up to 236% faster performance and better
reliability than the legacy CardBus** interface.** Maximum throughput derived
from CardBus and ExpressCard™" specifications. Below is a link to both cards.

»www.dlink.com/products/?pid=532&sec=1

»www.dlink.com/products/?pid=550&sec=1

I am also considering using the adapter that comes with the laptop. It is a
standard 802.11 g/b card. Does anyone know how the Extreme N router (DIR-655)
might work with this adapter?

Thanks!

Barb Bowman

I have the DIR-655 and it is great. It will work with legacy g and b
in mixed mode just fine.

I have a D-Link draft 2.0N express card in an HP TX1000 and their
pccard that I've used in various notebooks. Wireless performance is
pretty much the same between ExpressCard and PCCard. Wireless
performance won't really be impacted by the differences in the
speeds you mention below.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

=?Utf-8?B?a2V2aW5sYQ==?=

Great information. Thanks.

Did you try using the router with the 802.11 g/b adapter (network card) that
came with the laptops? If so, how was the wireless performance compared to
the D-link Draft 2.0 cards?

Kevin

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> I have the DIR-655 and it is great. It will work with legacy g and b
> in mixed mode just fine.
>
> I have a D-Link draft 2.0N express card in an HP TX1000 and their
> pccard that I've used in various notebooks. Wireless performance is
> pretty much the same between ExpressCard and PCCard. Wireless
> performance won't really be impacted by the differences in the
> speeds you mention below.
>
> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 17:46:23 -0700, kevinla
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >ExpressCard wireless adapter vs PC wireless adapter
> >
> >I am trying to decide between two laptops. They both are basically the same
> >except for one has an ExpressCard slot and the other has a PC card slot.
> >
> >How much faster will an ExpressCard notebook adapter versus a standard PC
> >card adapter. Both adapters are made for the Dlink Extreme N router. Does
> >anyone know about these two specific adapters and their speed? If not, in
> >general, how much faster should the ExpressCard be? I will be using the
> >router to share an internet connection. From the prodcut description; "the
> >ExpressCard interface provides up to 236% faster performance and better
> >reliability than the legacy CardBus** interface.** Maximum throughput derived
> >from CardBus and ExpressCard™" specifications. Below is a link to both cards.
> >
> >»www.dlink.com/products/?pid=532&sec=1
> >
> >»www.dlink.com/products/?pid=550&sec=1
> >
> >I am also considering using the adapter that comes with the laptop. It is a
> >standard 802.11 g/b card. Does anyone know how the Extreme N router (DIR-655)
> >might work with this adapter?
> >
> >Thanks!
> >

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

those b/g built in NICs/cards are connecting at "G" speeds just
fine. obviously N is much better. for browsing the web and reading
email, you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference, though.

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 08:28:01 -0700, kevinla
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Great information. Thanks.
>
>Did you try using the router with the 802.11 g/b adapter (network card) that
>came with the laptops? If so, how was the wireless performance compared to
>the D-link Draft 2.0 cards?
>
>Kevin
>
>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> I have the DIR-655 and it is great. It will work with legacy g and b
>> in mixed mode just fine.
>>
>> I have a D-Link draft 2.0N express card in an HP TX1000 and their
>> pccard that I've used in various notebooks. Wireless performance is
>> pretty much the same between ExpressCard and PCCard. Wireless
>> performance won't really be impacted by the differences in the
>> speeds you mention below.
>>
>> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 17:46:23 -0700, kevinla
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >ExpressCard wireless adapter vs PC wireless adapter
>> >
>> >I am trying to decide between two laptops. They both are basically the same
>> >except for one has an ExpressCard slot and the other has a PC card slot.
>> >
>> >How much faster will an ExpressCard notebook adapter versus a standard PC
>> >card adapter. Both adapters are made for the Dlink Extreme N router. Does
>> >anyone know about these two specific adapters and their speed? If not, in
>> >general, how much faster should the ExpressCard be? I will be using the
>> >router to share an internet connection. From the prodcut description; "the
>> >ExpressCard interface provides up to 236% faster performance and better
>> >reliability than the legacy CardBus** interface.** Maximum throughput derived
>> >from CardBus and ExpressCard" specifications. Below is a link to both cards.
>> >
>> >www.dlink.com/products/?pid=532&sec=1
>> >
>> >www.dlink.com/products/?pid=550&sec=1
>> >
>> >I am also considering using the adapter that comes with the laptop. It is a
>> >standard 802.11 g/b card. Does anyone know how the Extreme N router (DIR-655)
>> >might work with this adapter?
>> >
>> >Thanks!
>> >

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Right now there is a very small selection of Wireless (or other devices)
Express cards, so it is toss up, good for the future, rather useless now.
A draft N Router would not provide better Wireless with a 802.11g card.
This is currently one of the best 802.11g Wireless Router.
http://www.ezlan.net/buffalo.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"kevinla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ExpressCard wireless adapter vs PC wireless adapter
>
> I am trying to decide between two laptops. They both are basically the
> same
> except for one has an ExpressCard slot and the other has a PC card slot.
>
> How much faster will an ExpressCard notebook adapter versus a standard PC
> card adapter. Both adapters are made for the Dlink Extreme N router. Does
> anyone know about these two specific adapters and their speed? If not, in
> general, how much faster should the ExpressCard be? I will be using the
> router to share an internet connection. From the prodcut description; "the
> ExpressCard interface provides up to 236% faster performance and better
> reliability than the legacy CardBus** interface.** Maximum throughput
> derived
> from CardBus and ExpressCardT" specifications. Below is a link to both
> cards.
>
> www.dlink.com/products/?pid=532&sec=1
>
> www.dlink.com/products/?pid=550&sec=1
>
> I am also considering using the adapter that comes with the laptop. It is
> standard 802.11 g/b card. Does anyone know how the Extreme N router
> (DIR-655)
> might work with this adapter?
>
> Thanks!

maxtaurus1

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> I have the DIR-655 and it is great. It will work with legacy g and b
> in mixed mode just fine.
>
> I have a D-Link draft 2.0N express card in an HP TX1000 and their
> pccard that I've used in various notebooks. Wireless performance is
> pretty much the same between ExpressCard and PCCard. Wireless
> performance won't really be impacted by the differences in the
> speeds you mention below.
>
> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 17:46:23 -0700, kevinla
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >ExpressCard wireless adapter vs PC wireless adapter
> >
> >I am trying to decide between two laptops. They both are basically the same
> >except for one has an ExpressCard slot and the other has a PC card slot.
> >
> >How much faster will an ExpressCard notebook adapter versus a standard PC
> >card adapter. Both adapters are made for the Dlink Extreme N router. Does
> >anyone know about these two specific adapters and their speed? If not, in
> >general, how much faster should the ExpressCard be? I will be using the
> >router to share an internet connection. From the prodcut description; "the
> >ExpressCard interface provides up to 236% faster performance and better
> >reliability than the legacy CardBus** interface.** Maximum throughput derived
> >from CardBus and ExpressCard™" specifications. Below is a link to both cards.
> >
> >»www.dlink.com/products/?pid=532&sec=1
> >
> >»www.dlink.com/products/?pid=550&sec=1
> >
> >I am also considering using the adapter that comes with the laptop. It is a
> >standard 802.11 g/b card. Does anyone know how the Extreme N router (DIR-655)
> >might work with this adapter?
> >
> >Thanks!
> >

> --
>
> Barb Bowman