Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > To Vista or not to Vista

To Vista or not to Vista

=?Utf-8?B?bXVmZmV0?=

Hi everybody,

Help needed!
I am thinking of getting a new computer: And would be
Interested in peoples views, of what they think of Vista.

Should I update from Windows XP sp2 to Vista or should I stay with XP.

I have read all I can about the above but I am very unsure of what to do,
As there seems to be quite a few negative vibes about Vista.

If I have understood rightly XP is soon updating to sp3, can anyone please
tell me how long it is likely to be supported by M/S.
--
thanks: muffet

Eric B.

I am running Vista without any problems. The interface is nice.

Eric B.

"muffet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everybody,
>
> Help needed!
> I am thinking of getting a new computer: And would be
> Interested in peoples views, of what they think of Vista.
>
> Should I update from Windows XP sp2 to Vista or should I stay with XP.
>
> I have read all I can about the above but I am very unsure of what to do,
> As there seems to be quite a few negative vibes about Vista.
>
> If I have understood rightly XP is soon updating to sp3, can anyone please
> tell me how long it is likely to be supported by M/S.
> --
> thanks: muffet

Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]

"muffet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi everybody,
>
> Help needed!
> I am thinking of getting a new computer: And would be
> Interested in peoples views, of what they think of Vista.
>
> Should I update from Windows XP sp2 to Vista or should I stay with XP.
>
> I have read all I can about the above but I am very unsure of what to do,
> As there seems to be quite a few negative vibes about Vista.
>
> If I have understood rightly XP is soon updating to sp3, can anyone please
> tell me how long it is likely to be supported by M/S.
> --
> thanks: muffet

I posted to a similar question on a friend of mine's blog. Check it out:
http://www.vladville.com/2007/09/how...ista-suck.html

--
Michael D. Alligood,
MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST

Harvey Colwell

I'm so sick of this question. The reasons to upgrade or not are completely
different for an individual in IT than it is for a company. But just because
there are challenges to using Vista should not be one the overriding
deciding point. Its important to remember that Vista isn't going away. Its
here, and it will dominate the IT landscape for years to come.

A business must weigh the cost of the upgrade to the benefits it offers. And
Vista definitely offers many benefits, especially in the area of security.
And there are definitely many costs, especially in the area of legacy
applications.

But anyone in the IT industry has a must simpler decision; do you want to
keep up with technology or not? It doesn't matter if you like Novell, Linux,
or MS (I deal will all three), 90% of the industry is MS centric, so if you
want to be able to support your company/customers, you need to know Vista.
Even if its only to be able to knowledgably say; Vista is not for us, at
least not yet.

What good are you if asked about Vista and your response is; I here its a
bear, so I don't want to have anything to do with it. I know of a person
that already went out and got certified on Vista Configuration, but refuses
to use it.

I installed Vista the day it was released and haven't looked back. I've
upgraded whole companies to Vista and Office 2007. Even with a lots of
planning, issues still popped up. But this has been the case with all
upgrades. The alternative is to stay with Windows XP and Office 2003. But
imagine how they would feel a year from now, after purchasing all new PCs
and being stuck with an outdated OS and applications for two or more years
to come.

Just as everyone knows that Windows 98 is unsafe to use, I already feel, and
I think that everyone will soon agree, that Windows XP isn't safe enough. At
least not safe enough the way its commonly used. I always run XP under a
restricted user account, but we all know that its almost impossible to get
anyone, with a choice, to do the same.

So do I like Vista? My answer is; It doesn't matter. Vista is a tool that I
use to do my job. And its a better tool than I had before.

=?Utf-8?B?bXVmZmV0?=

-- Hi Eric, Michael and Harvey,

I should like to thank you for answering my Vista dilemma.

At long last I have made my mind up its going to be Vista, your
replies gave me the courage to place my order for a new computer plus
VISTA.

Got any good tips I might need to know.

Once again Thank You,
muffet