Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > BSOD in 64bit Vista Media Center

Reply
Thread Tools

BSOD in 64bit Vista Media Center

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?cC5sbw==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-17-2007
I recently installed the Sabre VistaView 2020 dual pci-e tv tuner card into
my 64-bit Vista Ultimate pc. Once installed & configured, whenever I try to
view Live TV, Vista Media Center will crash, display a Blue Screen & will
dump the memory to the screen.

Has anybody else run into this behavior in Vista?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Barnes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-18-2007
If you could supply error numbers and messages it would help to isolate your
problem.

"p.lo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I recently installed the Sabre VistaView 2020 dual pci-e tv tuner card into
> my 64-bit Vista Ultimate pc. Once installed & configured, whenever I try
> to
> view Live TV, Vista Media Center will crash, display a Blue Screen & will
> dump the memory to the screen.
>
> Has anybody else run into this behavior in Vista?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?cC5sbw==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2007
Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the memory dump aka blue screen
happens so fast that it's very difficult to catch any of the on-screen data.
I have noticed that the main error message is consistantly "System Service
Exception".

I've since contacted the support department of the TV turner card
manufacturer, Vista View, & they've responded that the issue is that Vista
64-bit has issues when 4 gigs of ram are installed. After removing 1 x 1gb
stick of ram, as per their instructions, Vista Media Center begin to work
flawlessly. Keep in mind that, with the full 4 gb of ram installed Vista MCE
fail every single time.

What I'd like to confirm is, whether this is an issue with 64bit Vista
Ultimate or with the Vista View hardware drivers?

Cheers,
Paul

"p.lo" wrote:

> I recently installed the Sabre VistaView 2020 dual pci-e tv tuner card into
> my 64-bit Vista Ultimate pc. Once installed & configured, whenever I try to
> view Live TV, Vista Media Center will crash, display a Blue Screen & will
> dump the memory to the screen.
>
> Has anybody else run into this behavior in Vista?

 
Reply With Quote
 
R. C. White
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2007
Hi, Paul.

> Unfortunately, the memory dump aka blue screen
> happens so fast that it's very difficult to catch any of the on-screen
> data.


Change the default behavior for what Vista should do in case of System
failure. By default, it is set to Automatically restart, which fixes many
momentary computer glitches, but gives us no clue as to what the real
problem is.

Go to Control Panel | System | Advanced system settings (You'll need to
furnish Administrator password at this point) | Advanced | Startup and
Recovery Settings. On this tab, remove the check from Automatically
restart, then OK your way out.

Next time the problem happens, you'll still have to reboot. But the BSOD
will stay onscreen until you press the hardware Reset button, giving you all
the time you need to copy down - verbatim - the Stop code and related
information. Most of it will be meaningless to most of us, but if you post
it here - verbatim - John or some other guru (not me!) should be able to
point you in the right direction.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail beta 2 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 beta v.275)

"p.lo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi John,
>
> Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the memory dump aka blue screen
> happens so fast that it's very difficult to catch any of the on-screen
> data.
> I have noticed that the main error message is consistantly "System Service
> Exception".
>
> I've since contacted the support department of the TV turner card
> manufacturer, Vista View, & they've responded that the issue is that Vista
> 64-bit has issues when 4 gigs of ram are installed. After removing 1 x
> 1gb
> stick of ram, as per their instructions, Vista Media Center begin to work
> flawlessly. Keep in mind that, with the full 4 gb of ram installed Vista
> MCE
> fail every single time.
>
> What I'd like to confirm is, whether this is an issue with 64bit Vista
> Ultimate or with the Vista View hardware drivers?
>
> Cheers,
> Paul
>
> "p.lo" wrote:
>
>> I recently installed the Sabre VistaView 2020 dual pci-e tv tuner card
>> into
>> my 64-bit Vista Ultimate pc. Once installed & configured, whenever I try
>> to
>> view Live TV, Vista Media Center will crash, display a Blue Screen & will
>> dump the memory to the screen.
>>
>> Has anybody else run into this behavior in Vista?


 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?cC5sbw==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2007
Hey RC,

Thanks for the great tip. I'll try that this weekend & will post my
findings.

Cheers,
Paul

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Paul.
>
> > Unfortunately, the memory dump aka blue screen
> > happens so fast that it's very difficult to catch any of the on-screen
> > data.

>
> Change the default behavior for what Vista should do in case of System
> failure. By default, it is set to Automatically restart, which fixes many
> momentary computer glitches, but gives us no clue as to what the real
> problem is.
>
> Go to Control Panel | System | Advanced system settings (You'll need to
> furnish Administrator password at this point) | Advanced | Startup and
> Recovery Settings. On this tab, remove the check from Automatically
> restart, then OK your way out.
>
> Next time the problem happens, you'll still have to reboot. But the BSOD
> will stay onscreen until you press the hardware Reset button, giving you all
> the time you need to copy down - verbatim - the Stop code and related
> information. Most of it will be meaningless to most of us, but if you post
> it here - verbatim - John or some other guru (not me!) should be able to
> point you in the right direction.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail beta 2 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 beta v.275)
>
> "p.lo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi John,
> >
> > Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the memory dump aka blue screen
> > happens so fast that it's very difficult to catch any of the on-screen
> > data.
> > I have noticed that the main error message is consistantly "System Service
> > Exception".
> >
> > I've since contacted the support department of the TV turner card
> > manufacturer, Vista View, & they've responded that the issue is that Vista
> > 64-bit has issues when 4 gigs of ram are installed. After removing 1 x
> > 1gb
> > stick of ram, as per their instructions, Vista Media Center begin to work
> > flawlessly. Keep in mind that, with the full 4 gb of ram installed Vista
> > MCE
> > fail every single time.
> >
> > What I'd like to confirm is, whether this is an issue with 64bit Vista
> > Ultimate or with the Vista View hardware drivers?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Paul
> >
> > "p.lo" wrote:
> >
> >> I recently installed the Sabre VistaView 2020 dual pci-e tv tuner card
> >> into
> >> my 64-bit Vista Ultimate pc. Once installed & configured, whenever I try
> >> to
> >> view Live TV, Vista Media Center will crash, display a Blue Screen & will
> >> dump the memory to the screen.
> >>
> >> Has anybody else run into this behavior in Vista?

>

 
Reply With Quote
 
p.lo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2007
After changing the setting in the Control Panel to not Automatically restart,
Vista x64 produced the following verbatim error message when 4gb's of ram an
the VistaView 2020 Dual PCI-E TV tuner card were installed:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your
computer. If this screen appears again, follow the steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in
the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for
driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any bios updates. Disable BIOS memory
options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove
or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced
Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000001E
(0x0000000000000000,0x0000000000000000,0x000000000 0000000,0x0000000000000000)

Collecting data for crash dump ...
Initializing disk for crash dump ...
Beginning dump of physical memory.
Dumping physical memory to disk: 100
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system admin or technical support group for further assistance.

----------------------------------------

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Paul

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Paul.
>
> > Unfortunately, the memory dump aka blue screen
> > happens so fast that it's very difficult to catch any of the on-screen
> > data.

>
> Change the default behavior for what Vista should do in case of System
> failure. By default, it is set to Automatically restart, which fixes many
> momentary computer glitches, but gives us no clue as to what the real
> problem is.
>
> Go to Control Panel | System | Advanced system settings (You'll need to
> furnish Administrator password at this point) | Advanced | Startup and
> Recovery Settings. On this tab, remove the check from Automatically
> restart, then OK your way out.
>
> Next time the problem happens, you'll still have to reboot. But the BSOD
> will stay onscreen until you press the hardware Reset button, giving you all
> the time you need to copy down - verbatim - the Stop code and related
> information. Most of it will be meaningless to most of us, but if you post
> it here - verbatim - John or some other guru (not me!) should be able to
> point you in the right direction.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail beta 2 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 beta v.275)
>
> "p.lo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi John,
> >
> > Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the memory dump aka blue screen
> > happens so fast that it's very difficult to catch any of the on-screen
> > data.
> > I have noticed that the main error message is consistantly "System Service
> > Exception".
> >
> > I've since contacted the support department of the TV turner card
> > manufacturer, Vista View, & they've responded that the issue is that Vista
> > 64-bit has issues when 4 gigs of ram are installed. After removing 1 x
> > 1gb
> > stick of ram, as per their instructions, Vista Media Center begin to work
> > flawlessly. Keep in mind that, with the full 4 gb of ram installed Vista
> > MCE
> > fail every single time.
> >
> > What I'd like to confirm is, whether this is an issue with 64bit Vista
> > Ultimate or with the Vista View hardware drivers?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Paul
> >
> > "p.lo" wrote:
> >
> >> I recently installed the Sabre VistaView 2020 dual pci-e tv tuner card
> >> into
> >> my 64-bit Vista Ultimate pc. Once installed & configured, whenever I try
> >> to
> >> view Live TV, Vista Media Center will crash, display a Blue Screen & will
> >> dump the memory to the screen.
> >>
> >> Has anybody else run into this behavior in Vista?

>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XP 64bit VISTA Ultimate 64bit Installations failing rbassman98003 Windows 64bit 2 02-18-2009 07:11 PM
Vista 64bit - Adminstrative Tools MMC using 64bit? null Windows 64bit 2 04-02-2008 05:30 AM
wudfrd.sys BSOD error on start up - Vista Ultimate 64bit MichaelMan Windows 64bit 8 11-25-2007 09:00 PM
Building a Media Center PC, 64bit or 32bit =?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljayBMb3Vpcw==?= Windows 64bit 5 07-01-2007 05:44 PM
XP 64bit and Vista 64bit questions Charles Chambers Windows 64bit 2 02-20-2007 01:12 AM



Advertisments