Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > How not to blow a fuse? computers and a multi plug w/ surge protector

How not to blow a fuse? computers and a multi plug w/ surge protector

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

How not to blow a fuse? computers and a multi plug w/ surge protector

I notice that multi plugs tend to support 13W (in the UK at least -
which is also around 240V as oppose to around 120V)

So with a multi plug of 13A

A CDROM says
1.5A on 5V, 2A on 12V

Obviously a computer would probably be alot more.. So would 2
computers likely blow the thing? I'm sure i've managed it before and
it never blew.

Even mini itx machines can have a 120W PSU. 12V@ 10A. If I plug that
in there and it runs at 120W, then that - 10A - seems very close to
the 13A limit!! How much moreso for a computer with a 300W PSU

I'm thinking of setting up a computer network.. I don't want to blow
the multiway plug.

I've got a good idea that it's ok.. OTOH I have once had a friend
plug his laptop in a multiway plug, along with the other things on it.
It blew!

w_tom

On Sep 17, 5:55 pm, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> How not to blow a fuse? computers and a multi plug w/ surge protector
>
> I notice that multi plugs tend to support 13W (in the UK at least -
> which is also around 240V as oppose to around 120V)
>
> So with a multi plug of 13A
> A CDROM says 1.5A on 5V, 2A on 12V

Not 13 watts. 13 amps. 13 amps times 120 volts is 1560 watts. 13
amps times 240 volts is 3120 watts. Your 300 watt computer will
probably only consume 150 watts.

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

On Sep 18, 5:14 pm, w_tom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sep 17, 5:55 pm, "(E-Mail Removed)"
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > How not to blow a fuse? computers and a multi plug w/ surge protector

> > I notice that multi plugs tend to support 13W (in the UK at least -
> > which is also around 240V as oppose to around 120V)

> > So with a multi plug of 13A
> > A CDROM says 1.5A on 5V, 2A on 12V

> Not 13 watts. 13 amps. 13 amps times 120 volts is 1560 watts. 13
> amps times 240 volts is 3120 watts. Your 300 watt computer will
> probably only consume 150 watts.

yeah, i said 13A also, te 13W was a typo. I can see where I think my
facts were incomplete.. But I was hoping for a more technical reason.

In short, the amps applies to AC not DC. So an ACDC adaptor that
claims 120W(12V*10A). Or 96W 'cos 12V 9A. That's actually not going
to be 9A on the AC. It's alot less on AC.

I have a volts,amps,watts measurer.
google for maplin plug measures amps watts
http://www.maplin.co.uk/SEODynamicPa...sp?ModNo=38343
they call it Plug-In Mains Power and Energy Monitor

With my 300W PSU, that's 300W max, a brief run of the comp consumed
about 70W or 120W, it varied.. The current was not more that 0.5A
Reason being that the voltage - AC voltage - is alot more than 12V !!
It's 240V in the UK, (120V in US).

For anybody that wants elaboration..
basic physics shows a triangle . or maths, the equation,
P=IV
power = current * voltage
I=current

Voltage is fixed at 240V.
if V=240.
120W , current is 0.5A
12W, current is 0.05A, 24W 0.1A

240W would be 1A . So 5 or 6 300W computers would be fine. Even 10
would prob be fine!

And as you say.. 13A is over 2400W

I notice that blow heaters use alot of watts. like 900W or 1800W.

w_tom

On Sep 18, 9:43 pm, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I notice that blow heaters use alot of watts. like 900W or 1800W.

Notice how much warmer both plug and power cord get when a heater
runs. That warmth on power wires always makes me a little nervous.
Warmth indicates how much more power a heater consumes.