Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Standard white balance presets?

Standard white balance presets?

Marty Fremen

Are white balance presets standardised in terms of the colour temperature
conversion they achieve in the way that filters are?

Experimenting with my camera indicates that "sunny" = no correction whilst
"cloudy" is the same as using something like an 81A or 81B correction
filter (I only have an 81C filter that I can use for comparison and cloudy
gives about 1/2 - 2/3 the correction of that).

I've never seen any camera specs which say anything about colour
temperatures but whoever devised the presets must surely have worked to
some specification.

JL

Most of the cameras are using an internal algorithm for calculating the
white balance. Results vary from camera to camera.
See
http://www.digigrey.com/en_faq.html#camera_wb

Cordialement,
Jean-Luc Ernst