Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > iPhone warranty question

iPhone warranty question

Joe

A friend offered me an iPhone, but it's from the US and I live in the UK. I
need to give him a quick reply but thought I'd ask you guys a question first
as I don't know the answer.

If I need a repair on a US iphone, can I still get it done? I'd need to run
the software hack on it, will this void the warranty?

Sorry if this is bit OT, but I don't know where else to ask the question.

Joe.

Evan Platt

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:02:03 GMT, "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>A friend offered me an iPhone, but it's from the US and I live in the UK. I
>need to give him a quick reply but thought I'd ask you guys a question first
>as I don't know the answer.
>
>If I need a repair on a US iphone, can I still get it done?

Depends on the warranty. Some cover the original purchaser only.

>I'd need to run the software hack on it, will this void the warranty?

Likely yes.

JANA

You should find out from the iPhone support. Also, find out if your phone
service provider can activate the phone. Some phones that are made for the
US and Canadian market can only be activated by particular phone service
providers. They are given proprietary codes to allow activation. You don't
want to find out the hard way.

--

JANA
_____

news:fXBHi.116741$(E-Mail Removed) .uk...

A friend offered me an iPhone, but it's from the US and I live in the UK. I
need to give him a quick reply but thought I'd ask you guys a question first
as I don't know the answer.

If I need a repair on a US iphone, can I still get it done? I'd need to run
the software hack on it, will this void the warranty?

Sorry if this is bit OT, but I don't know where else to ask the question.

Joe.

Allan Girvan

On 17/09/2007, Joe wrote:

> A friend offered me an iPhone, but it's from the US and I live in the
> UK. I need to give him a quick reply but thought I'd ask you guys a
> question first as I don't know the answer.
>
> If I need a repair on a US iphone, can I still get it done? I'd need
> to run the software hack on it, will this void the warranty?
>
> Sorry if this is bit OT, but I don't know where else to ask the
> question.
>
> Joe.

Here's some info on Apple's UK marketing plans...

(Which is a pity - I'm tied to Vodafone and I quite fancied an iPhone!
)

If you can persuade your local O2 shop to sell you a SIM on its own (do
iPhones use SIMs?) then you may be lucky. Otherwise, that iPhone will
be useless in this country so any question about warranties or repairs
is academic.

Cheers,

Allan.
--
Please use the "Reply To" address for emails.