Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > e164.arpa or e164.org?

e164.arpa or e164.org?

AntiSpamBloke

Which one is the most commonly used?

Many thanks

--
AntiSpamBloke
'From' address is a spamtrap.

Brian A

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:28:24 +0100, "AntiSpamBloke"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Which one is the most commonly used?
>
>Many thanks

I have never heard of e164.org I would think.

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Get your friends to sign too!
TV.
---

Chris Hills

AntiSpamBloke wrote:
> Which one is the most commonly used?
>
> Many thanks

Hi

e164.arpa is the official tree, but I think there are more entries in
e164.org (a non-profit organization). e164.org should by no means be
considered authoritative, but it does have quite a lot of records that
may be useful.

Regards

Chris

Paul Cupis

Chris Hills wrote:
> AntiSpamBloke wrote:
>> Which one is the most commonly used?

> e164.arpa is the official tree, but I think there are more entries in
> e164.org (a non-profit organization). e164.org should by no means be
> considered authoritative, but it does have quite a lot of records that
> may be useful.

For a lot of zone, e164.arpa won't yet be operational. For example the
UK AFAIK. My suggestion would be to use e164.arpa if there is an entry
and then try e164.org if there isn't.

Brian A

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:23:17 GMT, Brian A
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:28:24 +0100, "AntiSpamBloke"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Which one is the most commonly used?
>>
>>Many thanks

>I have never heard of e164.org I would think.

Sorry for the garbled post...don't know how the first part of the
sentence got in. Was supposed top read
"e164.org I would think."
but I think that others have answered the question more authoritively.
I only use e164.org

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Get your friends to sign too!
TV.
---

Roger Mills

Paul Cupis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Chris Hills wrote:
>> AntiSpamBloke wrote:
>>> Which one is the most commonly used?

>> e164.arpa is the official tree, but I think there are more entries in
>> e164.org (a non-profit organization). e164.org should by no means be
>> considered authoritative, but it does have quite a lot of records
>> that may be useful.

> For a lot of zone, e164.arpa won't yet be operational. For example the
> UK AFAIK. My suggestion would be to use e164.arpa if there is an entry
> and then try e164.org if there isn't.

As a relative newby to things VoIP, I'm still trying to get a handle on what
e164 is and does.

Anyone care to enlighten me?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Andy Burns

On 19/09/2007 16:46, Roger Mills wrote:

> As a relative newby to things VoIP, I'm still trying to get a handle on what
> e164 is and does.
>
> Anyone care to enlighten me?

In essence, it's a system to look up another person's phone number and
check if there is a way to make a direct voip call instead of paying for
the call over the pstn.

Roger Mills

Andy Burns <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 19/09/2007 16:46, Roger Mills wrote:
>
>> As a relative newby to things VoIP, I'm still trying to get a handle
>> on what e164 is and does.
>>
>> Anyone care to enlighten me?

> In essence, it's a system to look up another person's phone number and
> check if there is a way to make a direct voip call instead of paying
> for the call over the pstn.

Ta! So do you have the know the number to start with, and it simply finds
the corresponding SIP address, if there is one? Or can you also search on
name to find the number - like Directory Enquiries?

Does it only know about numbers which have been explicitly registered with
it?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Andy Burns

On 19/09/2007 22:11, Roger Mills wrote:

> Ta! So do you have the know the number to start with, and it simply finds
> the corresponding SIP address, if there is one?

that's the main perpose of ENUM in general

> Or can you also search on
> name to find the number - like Directory Enquiries?

e164.org does have a white pages, but e164.arpa doesn't it's a pure DNS
lookup

> Does it only know about numbers which have been explicitly registered with
> it?

e164.org, yes you have to register numbers with it, which involves
answering a call to that pstn number first to receive a pin number.

Paul Hayes

Roger Mills wrote:
> In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
> Andy Burns <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 19/09/2007 16:46, Roger Mills wrote:
>>
>>> As a relative newby to things VoIP, I'm still trying to get a handle
>>> on what e164 is and does.
>>>
>>> Anyone care to enlighten me?

>> In essence, it's a system to look up another person's phone number and
>> check if there is a way to make a direct voip call instead of paying
>> for the call over the pstn.

> Ta! So do you have the know the number to start with, and it simply finds
> the corresponding SIP address, if there is one? Or can you also search on
> name to find the number - like Directory Enquiries?
>
> Does it only know about numbers which have been explicitly registered with
> it?

It's not intended to be a "directory enquires" type service, it's so
that when you dial a number on a VoIP phone, the phone or PBX will try
an ENUM lookup to see if it can connect the call directly using a SIP
address rather than sending the call out onto the PSTN (where a charge
is normally incurred).

cheers,
Paul.

--