Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASPNET (NETWORK SERVICE) identity cannot run SP that drop table

ASPNET (NETWORK SERVICE) identity cannot run SP that drop table

pedestrian via DotNetMonster.com

I've created an asp.net 1.1 page for development machine running on IIS 5.0
(deployment machine running IIS 6.0).

The page use ADO.NET (OLE DB) to call a stored procedure in the SQL Server
2005 that drop a table and recreate it.

The issue now is that the default ASPNET identity for asp.net doesn't have
the permission to drop the table using the mentioned stored procedure. Is
there any way to assign the permission?

Thank you.

Just Me

the permissions on the SQL Database will be set by the SQL Administrator. If
you are that person, you can assign permissions for the NETWORK SERVICE to
perform this action.

However, this is normally not a good idea, I would advise that you create a
domain account for use with this application and set up and application pool
for your application which uses that account, then you can be sure that no
one can access your sql data by simply writing code to access that database.

Alternatively, you could use SQL security with is simply a username and
password, but this is normally frowned upon these days as a securty issue.

"pedestrian via DotNetMonster.com" <u16758@uwe> wrote in message
> I've created an asp.net 1.1 page for development machine running on IIS
> 5.0
> (deployment machine running IIS 6.0).
>
> The page use ADO.NET (OLE DB) to call a stored procedure in the SQL Server
> 2005 that drop a table and recreate it.
>
> The issue now is that the default ASPNET identity for asp.net doesn't have
> the permission to drop the table using the mentioned stored procedure. Is
> there any way to assign the permission?
>
> Thank you.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> The issue now is that the default ASPNET identity for asp.net doesn't have
!> the permission to drop the table using the mentioned stored procedure. Is
!> there any way to assign the permission?

Sure.

Use SQL Server's 2005 User Manager...and assign
the needed permission to the account's login user.

Since, apparently, the account has access to the database, but not
to the specific stored procedure, you don't have to create the login.

Right-click the user and select "All Tasks" and then "Manage Permissions".
Scroll down to the stored procedure...and check the "EXEC" option.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
======================================
"pedestrian via DotNetMonster.com" <u16758@uwe> wrote in message news:7857e9c20e6b0@uwe...
> I've created an asp.net 1.1 page for development machine running on IIS 5.0
> (deployment machine running IIS 6.0).
>
> The page use ADO.NET (OLE DB) to call a stored procedure in the SQL Server
> 2005 that drop a table and recreate it.
>
> The issue now is that the default ASPNET identity for asp.net doesn't have
> the permission to drop the table using the mentioned stored procedure. Is
> there any way to assign the permission?
>
> Thank you.

pedestrian via DotNetMonster.com

Hi Juan. Thanks for replying....

I'm using SQL Server Express 2005. It seems that I cannot find the User
manager...
Is it included in the Express version, anyone please?

Thanks.

--
Regards,
Pedestrian, Penang.

Just Me

There is a version of the SQL Management Studi shipped with the express
version.

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...sdatasheet.pdf

> Hi Juan. Thanks for replying....
>
> I'm using SQL Server Express 2005. It seems that I cannot find the User
> manager...
> Is it included in the Express version, anyone please?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Juan T. Llibre wrote:
>>re:
>>!> The issue now is that the default ASPNET identity for asp.net doesn't
>>have
>>!> the permission to drop the table using the mentioned stored procedure.
>>Is
>>!> there any way to assign the permission?
>>
>>Sure.
>>
>>Use SQL Server's 2005 User Manager...and assign
>>the needed permission to the account's login user.
>>
>>Since, apparently, the account has access to the database, but not
>>to the specific stored procedure, you don't have to create the login.
>>
>>Right-click the user and select "All Tasks" and then "Manage Permissions".
>>Scroll down to the stored procedure...and check the "EXEC" option.
>>
>>Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
>>asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
>>foros de asp.net, en español : http://asp.net.do/foros/
>>======================================
>>> I've created an asp.net 1.1 page for development machine running on IIS
>>> 5.0
>>> (deployment machine running IIS 6.0).

>>[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
>>>
>>> Thank you.

> --
> Regards,
> Pedestrian, Penang.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> Is it included in the Express version, anyone please?

There's a version of SQL Server Express 2005 which includes
SQL Server Management Studio Express (SSMSE).

It's called "SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with Advanced Services".

You can download it, and also the stand-alone version of SSMSE, at :

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/express/bb410792.aspx

"pedestrian via DotNetMonster.com" <u16758@uwe> wrote in message news:786e6ef029ae0@uwe...
> Hi Juan. Thanks for replying....
>
> I'm using SQL Server Express 2005. It seems that I cannot find the User
> manager...
> Is it included in the Express version, anyone please?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Juan T. Llibre wrote:
>>re:
>>!> The issue now is that the default ASPNET identity for asp.net doesn't have
>>!> the permission to drop the table using the mentioned stored procedure. Is
>>!> there any way to assign the permission?
>>
>>Sure.
>>
>>Use SQL Server's 2005 User Manager...and assign
>>the needed permission to the account's login user.
>>
>>Since, apparently, the account has access to the database, but not
>>to the specific stored procedure, you don't have to create the login.
>>
>>Right-click the user and select "All Tasks" and then "Manage Permissions".
>>Scroll down to the stored procedure...and check the "EXEC" option.
>>
>>Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
>>asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
>>foros de asp.net, en español : http://asp.net.do/foros/
>>======================================
>>> I've created an asp.net 1.1 page for development machine running on IIS 5.0
>>> (deployment machine running IIS 6.0).

>>[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
>>>
>>> Thank you.

> --