Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Vista can't connect to internet through XP in ad hoc network

Vista can't connect to internet through XP in ad hoc network

=?Utf-8?B?S293YXJpc3VraQ==?=

I know there are alike threads but they have no explanation to my question.
I have 2 laptops Toshiba Satellite: one with WinXP SP2 Eng with all recent
patches installed and the other with Vista Home Basic, both OS were legally
purchased. A laptop with XP has ADSL Ethernet connection to internet and
serves as master in ad hoc wireless network. A laptop with Vista (slave) sees
shares, can connect to the one with XP and copy files. A laptop running XP
can't see shares on the one with Vista though, but I don't need it anyway. I
did everything as described in
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...b/AdHocICS.doc
checked and rechecked everything again and installed
WindowsXP-KB922120-v5-x86-ENU.exe but *I still can't make laptop running
Vista to connect to the internet through ad hoc connection*.
What can be done in this situation? Should I make a laptop with Vista a
master in my network? I would appreciate your help.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
To share the Internet you need a software Router too.
Instructions here, http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/
As far as File sharing goes.
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Basic XP -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120

In general Ad-Hoc configuration is Not safe (it usually allows only WEP
encryption), and rather "Quirky".
It is much better getting a Wireless Cable/DSL Router configuring a regular
Infrastructure Wireless network.
Like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...