Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Updates Failing - XP Pro

Reply
Thread Tools

Updates Failing - XP Pro

 
 
who'sthat
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2007
On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 10:12:04 +0100, "ded" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>
>"ADVID" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:46ece9eb$0$21099$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>>>>
>>>>Seems something's gone out of sync.with it.... !
>>>>
>>>>Anyone know what's happening or how to cure ???
>>>>
>>> Are you trying to do all 80 at one time?

>>
>>
>> Since the REPAIR XP seems to have gone back to a 'clean install' with no
>> updates - so it wants to install everything it can... it downloads them -
>> I run to install but it tell me there are some that cannot be installed
>> (80).... Nothing in control panel (show updates is ticked )....
>>

>
>Lets try simple stuff first.
>GoTo: Start>Windows Update
>A basic check is performed and you should then be presented with
>two options: "Express" and "Custom"
>Select: "Custom"
>A scan is performed ("Checking for latest updates for your computer")
>Once scan is complete, it will detail what updates are available, which
>will be made up of the 80 that it already tried but failed to install.
>To the left of screen will be a tree that details updates by type:
>High Priority
>Software, Optional
>Hardware, Optional
>Go through all the options and DE-select the Software and Hardware
>*optional* updates. (Just un-tick boxes etc)
>Only select to install "High Priority" updates.
>Once the High Priority update installation is complete, if successful -you
>will get the Option to Restart.
>Upon reboot, perfom the above *Custom* install again, and this time
>try to install the Optional updates.
>
>

That's where I was trying to get to and it seemed a one-step at a time
approach would work better.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
ded
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2007

"who'sthat" <who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 10:12:04 +0100, "ded" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>
>>"ADVID" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:46ece9eb$0$21099$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>Seems something's gone out of sync.with it.... !
>>>>>
>>>>>Anyone know what's happening or how to cure ???
>>>>>
>>>> Are you trying to do all 80 at one time?
>>>
>>>
>>> Since the REPAIR XP seems to have gone back to a 'clean install' with no
>>> updates - so it wants to install everything it can... it downloads
>>> them -
>>> I run to install but it tell me there are some that cannot be installed
>>> (80).... Nothing in control panel (show updates is ticked )....
>>>

>>
>>Lets try simple stuff first.
>>GoTo: Start>Windows Update
>>A basic check is performed and you should then be presented with
>>two options: "Express" and "Custom"
>>Select: "Custom"
>>A scan is performed ("Checking for latest updates for your computer")
>>Once scan is complete, it will detail what updates are available, which
>>will be made up of the 80 that it already tried but failed to install.
>>To the left of screen will be a tree that details updates by type:
>>High Priority
>>Software, Optional
>>Hardware, Optional
>>Go through all the options and DE-select the Software and Hardware
>>*optional* updates. (Just un-tick boxes etc)
>>Only select to install "High Priority" updates.
>>Once the High Priority update installation is complete, if successful -you
>>will get the Option to Restart.
>>Upon reboot, perfom the above *Custom* install again, and this time
>>try to install the Optional updates.
>>
>>

> That's where I was trying to get to and it seemed a one-step at a time
> approach would work better.


I think you're right..............

OP: Do a custom install, but with the high priority updates,
Click the "+" to view details of what exactly the update is,
Each High Priority update will detail when it was released,
Start by just installing the first released (oldest).
You may find you have to do each one-at-a-time?




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
who'sthat
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2007
On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 11:36:19 +0100, "ded" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>
>"who'sthat" <who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 10:12:04 +0100, "ded" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>"ADVID" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:46ece9eb$0$21099$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>Seems something's gone out of sync.with it.... !
>>>>>>
>>>>>>Anyone know what's happening or how to cure ???
>>>>>>
>>>>> Are you trying to do all 80 at one time?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Since the REPAIR XP seems to have gone back to a 'clean install' with no
>>>> updates - so it wants to install everything it can... it downloads
>>>> them -
>>>> I run to install but it tell me there are some that cannot be installed
>>>> (80).... Nothing in control panel (show updates is ticked )....
>>>>
>>>
>>>Lets try simple stuff first.
>>>GoTo: Start>Windows Update
>>>A basic check is performed and you should then be presented with
>>>two options: "Express" and "Custom"
>>>Select: "Custom"
>>>A scan is performed ("Checking for latest updates for your computer")
>>>Once scan is complete, it will detail what updates are available, which
>>>will be made up of the 80 that it already tried but failed to install.
>>>To the left of screen will be a tree that details updates by type:
>>>High Priority
>>>Software, Optional
>>>Hardware, Optional
>>>Go through all the options and DE-select the Software and Hardware
>>>*optional* updates. (Just un-tick boxes etc)
>>>Only select to install "High Priority" updates.
>>>Once the High Priority update installation is complete, if successful -you
>>>will get the Option to Restart.
>>>Upon reboot, perfom the above *Custom* install again, and this time
>>>try to install the Optional updates.
>>>
>>>

>> That's where I was trying to get to and it seemed a one-step at a time
>> approach would work better.

>
>I think you're right..............
>
>OP: Do a custom install, but with the high priority updates,
>Click the "+" to view details of what exactly the update is,
>Each High Priority update will detail when it was released,
>Start by just installing the first released (oldest).
>You may find you have to do each one-at-a-time?
>

I'm assuming (as you are) that he's done regular disk maintenance such
as defrag and cleaning out old files and the registry.
 
Reply With Quote
 
William Poaster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2007
Blinky the Shark wrote:

> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>>> Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 22:35:43 +0100, ADVID wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> I've recently had to do a REPAIR (not restore) with XP Pro....
>>>>>> (had a problem with USB ports not working 100%)....
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Since the repair XP keeps downloading updates (80- in all ) that
>>>>>> need installing... they download - I run them/install re-boot and
>>>>>> the updates are not installed and XP starts again downloading and
>>>>>> then telling me that new updates are ready ... install and again
>>>>>> 80 are not or could not be installed ?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Every time i switch on and boot up XP starts downloading these
>>>>>> same updates then tell s me they are ready to install but again
>>>>>> after INSTALL/BOOT says 'could not install' (shows a long list of
>>>>>> updates that wouldn't install)...??
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Seems something's gone out of sync.with it.... !
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Anyone know what's happening or how to cure ???
>>>>
>>>>>Have you updated the updater?
>>>>
>>>> MS did this for everybody Wednesday; Seriously they updated the
>>>> updater
>>>>
>>>> Microsoft Installs New Software Without Permission
>>>> http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/09/13/1259202
>>>>
>>>> Confirmed: Microsoft is fiddling with system files without
>>>> permission http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=774
>>>>
>>>> Not me!! I have updates turned off in the system

>>
>>>Did you read those links?

>>
>> It's how I knew about them, what are you getting at?

>
> One doesn't have to have read a link to post one based on an interesting
> headline.
>
> What I'm getting at is that they're about forcing updates even when you
> have them disabled.


What I find amusing is that windoze users think *they* own the OS, when in
fact they are licensing it (read "renting") from M$.
I wonder how many of them actually *read* the EULA. In the fine print, of
Vista for example, the terms and conditions remove any doubt about *who* is
in control by providing that "this agreement only gives you some rights to
use the software. ***Microsoft reserves all other rights***".
That virtually gives M$ the right to do anything they want.

> In that context, I'd think "I have updates turned off" to be not much
> defense.


None at all.

> Yes, I see the smiley, but I that that
> was a smug ("I'm protected!") smiley, not a joking smiley.



--
Operating systems:
FreeBSD 6.2, Debian 4.0
PCLinuxOS 2007, (K)Ubuntu 7.04
Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy" alpha - Tribe 5
 
Reply With Quote
 
sdlomi2
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2007

"ADVID" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46ece9eb$0$21099$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>>
>>>Seems something's gone out of sync.with it.... !
>>>
>>>Anyone know what's happening or how to cure ???
>>>

>> Are you trying to do all 80 at one time?

>
>
> Since the REPAIR XP seems to have gone back to a 'clean install' with no
> updates - so it wants to install everything it can... it downloads them -
> I run to install but it tell me there are some that cannot be installed
> (80).... Nothing in control panel (show updates is ticked )....
>


Advid, this worked for me on several clients' computers in the last 3
weeks. Seems to be a widespread problem. Hope this works for you also, sam
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


1. Click on Start and Run,
2. Type "REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL" (without quotation marks) and press
Enter.
3. Should get the message "DllRegisterServer in WUAPI.DLL succeeded"
Click OK.
4. Repeat above for each of the following:

REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL

5. Reboot

Now try to install your updates.

http://forums.vnunet.com/message.jspa?messageID=870658


 
Reply With Quote
 
sdlomi2
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2007

"ADVID" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46ec5030$0$8422$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've recently had to do a REPAIR (not restore) with XP Pro.... (had a
> problem with USB ports not working 100%)....
>
> Since the repair XP keeps downloading updates (80- in all ) that need
> installing... they download - I run them/install re-boot and the updates
> are not installed and XP starts again downloading and then telling me that
> new updates are ready ... install and again 80 are not or could not be
> installed ?
>
> Every time i switch on and boot up XP starts downloading these same
> updates then tell s me they are ready to install but again after
> INSTALL/BOOT says 'could not install' (shows a long list of updates that
> wouldn't install)...??
>
> Seems something's gone out of sync.with it.... !
>
> Anyone know what's happening or how to cure ???
>
>

Advid, hope this works for you--it did on several computers I used
"Repair" on as well as one I did a clean install on. If you Google, you'll
see it is widespread. Luck to you, sam

1. Click on Start and Run,
2. Type "REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL" (without quotation marks) and press
Enter.
3. Should get the message "DllRegisterServer in WUAPI.DLL succeeded"
Click OK.
4. Repeat above for each of the following:

REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL

5. Reboot

Now try to install your updates.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>
*PS: If it works for you please read subject lines & give it to others. All
I advised to use it and who also used it said it worked for them. Thx, sam


 
Reply With Quote
 
ADVID
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2007
....Have carried out previous suggestion and looking in updates individually
noticed and update from IE6 to IE7 and thought 'that's it !' ...the REPAIR
had put my previous IE7 update back to IE6 from the Win XP disk..... I
first went to IE7 upgraded from MS site and went and loaded IE7 (took ages)
then it started installing updates and I thought i'd cracked it BUT after
reboot IE7 came in OK but now instead of 80 updates I've still got 76 and
computer continues to load these at bootup time and tells me to install ---
on install it tells me 76 updates could not be installed -it's back to the
drawing board .....!!!!


RE:- SUGGESTION BELOW -

what does this little lot actually do ???

I'm always worried when doing direct registry commands...!!!
>>

>
> Advid, this worked for me on several clients' computers in the last 3
> weeks. Seems to be a widespread problem. Hope this works for you also,
> sam
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>
> 1. Click on Start and Run,
> 2. Type "REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL" (without quotation marks) and press
> Enter.
> 3. Should get the message "DllRegisterServer in WUAPI.DLL succeeded"
> Click OK.
> 4. Repeat above for each of the following:
>
> REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
> REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
> REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
> REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
> REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
> REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL
> REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
>
> 5. Reboot
>
> Now try to install your updates.
>
> http://forums.vnunet.com/message.jspa?messageID=870658
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
sdlomi2
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2007

"ADVID" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46ed45eb$0$21095$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ...Have carried out previous suggestion and looking in updates
> individually noticed and update from IE6 to IE7 and thought 'that's it !'
> ...the REPAIR had put my previous IE7 update back to IE6 from the Win XP
> disk..... I first went to IE7 upgraded from MS site and went and loaded
> IE7 (took ages) then it started installing updates and I thought i'd
> cracked it BUT after reboot IE7 came in OK but now instead of 80 updates
> I've still got 76 and computer continues to load these at bootup time and
> tells me to install --- on install it tells me 76 updates could not be
> installed -it's back to the drawing board .....!!!!
>
>
> RE:- SUGGESTION BELOW -
>
> what does this little lot actually do ???
>
> I'm always worried when doing direct registry commands...!!!
>>>

>>
>> Advid, this worked for me on several clients' computers in the last 3
>> weeks. Seems to be a widespread problem. Hope this works for you also,
>> sam
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>
>> 1. Click on Start and Run,
>> 2. Type "REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL" (without quotation marks) and press
>> Enter.
>> 3. Should get the message "DllRegisterServer in WUAPI.DLL succeeded"
>> Click OK.
>> 4. Repeat above for each of the following:
>>
>> REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
>> REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
>> REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
>> REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
>> REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
>> REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL
>> REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
>>
>> 5. Reboot
>>
>> Now try to install your updates.
>>
>> http://forums.vnunet.com/message.jspa?messageID=870658
>>

>
>

Sorry, should've made that clear. It simply re-registers the windows
update installer components, as noted by the .dll files beginnng with "WU".
There were several instances of similar #'s of updates that I recall that
failed to install: 43, 44, 68, 73,--76 I don't precisely recall, but I know
I did not see them all! It can't hurt to re-register them anyway, as they
will just write over what is already there IF yours are correct, and only
change them if corrupt.
I understand your hesitance. Dunno how to handle that, and might not if
our shoes were reversed! Problem seemed to be caused by Windows Updates
using a corrupt installer with issuance of specific update-bundles; i.e.,
"Bill" was out of the store for a few days planning where else to give away
OUR $s we so freely gave him! . Good luck, sam


 
Reply With Quote
 
ADVID
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2007
Decided to give below registry settings a run and would you believe it - IT
WORKED 100% - WOW ! - thanks a lot for that info....

On reboot upgrade found the 76 upgrades and this time it installed every one
successfully - did another reboot - went to upgrade and it tells me - 'no
upgrades' - so I'm back to 'normal' again...

Once again - many thanks

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++
>> Anyone know what's happening or how to cure ???
>>
>>

> Advid, hope this works for you--it did on several computers I used
> "Repair" on as well as one I did a clean install on. If you Google,
> you'll see it is widespread. Luck to you, sam
>
> 1. Click on Start and Run,
> 2. Type "REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL" (without quotation marks) and press
> Enter.
> 3. Should get the message "DllRegisterServer in WUAPI.DLL succeeded"
> Click OK.
> 4. Repeat above for each of the following:
>
> REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
> REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
> REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
> REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
> REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
> REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL
> REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
>
> 5. Reboot
>
> Now try to install your updates.
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>
> *PS: If it works for you please read subject lines & give it to others.
> All I advised to use it and who also used it said it worked for them.
> Thx, sam
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
ded
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2007

"ADVID" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46ed515a$0$13925$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Decided to give below registry settings a run and would you believe it -
> IT WORKED 100% - WOW ! - thanks a lot for that info....
>
> On reboot upgrade found the 76 upgrades and this time it installed every
> one successfully - did another reboot - went to upgrade and it tells me -
> 'no upgrades' - so I'm back to 'normal' again...
>
> Once again - many thanks
>


It was good of you to post back, so few do.
And congrats to sdlomi2, I've made a copy of your your solution.

> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++
>>> Anyone know what's happening or how to cure ???
>>>
>>>

>> Advid, hope this works for you--it did on several computers I used
>> "Repair" on as well as one I did a clean install on. If you Google,
>> you'll see it is widespread. Luck to you, sam
>>
>> 1. Click on Start and Run,
>> 2. Type "REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL" (without quotation marks) and press
>> Enter.
>> 3. Should get the message "DllRegisterServer in WUAPI.DLL succeeded"
>> Click OK.
>> 4. Repeat above for each of the following:
>>
>> REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
>> REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
>> REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
>> REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
>> REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
>> REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL
>> REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
>>
>> 5. Reboot
>>
>> Now try to install your updates.
>> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>
>> *PS: If it works for you please read subject lines & give it to others.
>> All I advised to use it and who also used it said it worked for them.
>> Thx, sam
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Updates failing =?Utf-8?B?QXNSb2Nr?= Windows 64bit 6 06-20-2006 11:23 PM
checking "Show Updates" doesn't reveal any Windows XP updates =?Utf-8?B?d2xzNTA4?= Windows 64bit 5 05-26-2006 04:42 PM
Database Updates Failing Will ASP General 1 11-05-2005 11:55 AM
HELP!! Simple xcopy from XP pro to Win 2003 failing.. Mark ASP .Net Security 1 12-01-2003 11:40 AM



Advertisments