Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to delete control panel ap

How to delete control panel ap

Gary

Long ago under Win 98 I had a registry cleaner that installed itself in
the control panel. It never worked under XP and I just left it there but
this morning I looked at it and decided to remove it and can't see how
its done. Any help? It hurts nothing to sit there but it's time for it
to go.

ceed

Gary wrote:

|Long ago under Win 98 I had a registry cleaner that installed itself
|in the control panel. It never worked under XP and I just left it
|there but this morning I looked at it and decided to remove it and
|can't see how its done. Any help? It hurts nothing to sit there but
|it's time for it to go.

The extension for Control Panel items is .cpl. You would have to find
the .cpl file and delete it. It's probably stored in
C:/windows/system32. Please note that the file may not have the same
name as the Control Panel object. What you could do is find the one(s)
you suspect could be the right one and either move it to your desktop
or change it's extension to see if it dissapears from Control Panel. As
soon as the right one dissapears you can delete it.

--
//ceed

Gary

ceed wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>
> |Long ago under Win 98 I had a registry cleaner that installed itself
> |in the control panel. It never worked under XP and I just left it
> |there but this morning I looked at it and decided to remove it and
> |can't see how its done. Any help? It hurts nothing to sit there but
> |it's time for it to go.
>

> The extension for Control Panel items is .cpl. You would have to find
> the .cpl file and delete it. It's probably stored in
> C:/windows/system32. Please note that the file may not have the same
> name as the Control Panel object. What you could do is find the one(s)
> you suspect could be the right one and either move it to your desktop
> or change it's extension to see if it dissapears from Control Panel. As
> soon as the right one dissapears you can delete it.

Thanks, that worked like a champ.