Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Voip.co.ok(ish)?

Voip.co.ok(ish)?

News Reader

Hi,

I probably ought to start this post with an apology but never the less.

I am trying to fathom why voip.co.uk are so highly praised and rated for
their stability, etc. when it appears the reality is their service goes down
with almost clockwork precision and reliability (i.e. seemingly at least
once a week often twice or more a week - irrespective of the down time [i.e.
> 5 minutes]).

I am neither pro nor anti them nor anyone else particularly. It just bemuses
and has bemused me as to why they are so praised particularly for
reliability when it seems that patently they in fact are not top-tier for
reliability (e.g. 5 9's or even 3 9's, etc.).

Anyhoo.... if voipcheap et. al. (just as one example) can manage a league
better uptime, etc. why are voip.co.uk praised so highly and possibly even
more so than others who appear to show significantly better reliability /
uptime performance, for having supposedly great reliability and uptime
performance (not to mention they seem to have other inconsistencies and / or
regular problems - such as with billing, which other organisations do not;
yet voip.co.uk still seem to receive a very high amount of praise for not
having such problems????).

As I say, I am not biased nor in preference of any one service or another,
just bemused as to how their can be regular handfuls of posts about
voip.co.uk problems and similar handfuls of posts about how their are no
problems with voip.co.uk? Hmm... odd... inconsistent, ... and the later has
to be false as a reflection of the reality of the former... anyhow,
thoughts, etc. welcomed.

Many thanks and best wishes,

News Reader

P.s. Just wanted to ask this for quite a while, particularly as they are
often recommended with praise for excellence of uptime / reliability and
customer service / billing when other companies actually seem to perform a
league or more better and others regularly post about problems with
voip.co.uk (seems highly inconsistent or simply wrong).

Linker3000

News Reader wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I probably ought to start this post with an apology but never the less.
>
> I am trying to fathom why voip.co.uk are so highly praised and rated for
> their stability, etc. when it appears the reality is their service goes down
> with almost clockwork precision and reliability (i.e. seemingly at least
> once a week often twice or more a week - irrespective of the down time [i.e.
> > 5 minutes]).

[Snip]

Interesting post.

From my perspective, I have had no problems with their service over the
nearly 2 years I have been using them - it's only within the last month
that I have had 3 outages with them.

Overall, I would rate their service as good but this position will
change if their current hiccups continue.

mymail@hotmail.co.uik

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 18:20:34 +0100, Linker3000
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> From my perspective, I have had no problems with their service over the
>nearly 2 years I have been using them - it's only within the last month
>that I have had 3 outages with them.

I only know of one recently and only noticed that due to accidentally
picking the wrong handset up and trying to make the call I should have
been making via voipcheap . Normally I only use the service nights and
weekends and in two years have never found them out of service during
those times.
>Overall, I would rate their service as good but this position will
>change if their current hiccups continue.

If problems do continue I can only think that like many firms before
them they are stretching their resources to the limit and proceeding
to get themselves a bad reputation in doing so .

David Floyd

In message of Sat, 15 Sep 2007, Linker3000 writes
>News Reader wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I probably ought to start this post with an apology but never the
>>less.
>> I am trying to fathom why voip.co.uk are so highly praised and rated
>>for their stability, etc. when it appears the reality is their
>>service goes down with almost clockwork precision and reliability
>>(i.e. seemingly at least once a week often twice or more a week -
>>irrespective of the down time [i.e.
>> > 5 minutes]).

>[Snip]
>
>Interesting post.
>
>From my perspective, I have had no problems with their service over the
>nearly 2 years I have been using them - it's only within the last month
>that I have had 3 outages with them.
>
>Overall, I would rate their service as good but this position will
>change if their current hiccups continue.

I would go along with your comments too. I have been with them for 2
years in November with no problems except as you mentioned above (I can
only recall 2 outages though). No outages like the OP mentions though -
must be his equipment!

DF

Brian A

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 18:56:38 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 18:20:34 +0100, Linker3000
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> From my perspective, I have had no problems with their service over the
>>nearly 2 years I have been using them - it's only within the last month
>>that I have had 3 outages with them.

>I only know of one recently and only noticed that due to accidentally
>picking the wrong handset up and trying to make the call I should have
>been making via voipcheap . Normally I only use the service nights and
>weekends and in two years have never found them out of service during
>those times.
>>Overall, I would rate their service as good but this position will
>>change if their current hiccups continue.

>If problems do continue I can only think that like many firms before
>them they are stretching their resources to the limit and proceeding
>to get themselves a bad reputation in doing so .

The only problem I have had, in recent times, with voip.co.uk, is
that the audio sometimes drops out one way - it seems to be mostly on
daytime calls. Other than that my experience has been total
reliability. Any apparent drop outs have not affected me.
There are two other factors you have ot bear in mind:
1. Hardware
2. ISP.
I had no end of trouble when Telewest were upgrading their broadband
and I am well aware that hardware, and the set up therof, can also be
a source of trouble. For example, I set up an SPA-3102 for a friend.
Then some times it worked and other times not. I made adjustments to
the settings and now it is solid. He uses voip.co.uk, with
registration on eu.voxalot.com, as well as vyke.co.uk which is mostly
for calls to Germany. I regularly ask him how it is going and he
always says he has had no problems - believe me he is very quick to
moan if the slightest thing goes wrong.

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Get your friends to sign too!
TV.
---

mymail@hotmail.co.uik

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 10:33:44 GMT, Brian A
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> - believe me he is very quick to
>moan if the slightest thing goes wrong.

I didn't know we had met Brian )) .

acdeag

"News Reader" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OwRGi.63357$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi,
>

> I probably ought to start this post with an apology but never the less.
>
> I am trying to fathom why voip.co.uk are so highly praised and rated for
> their stability, etc. when it appears the reality is their service goes
> down with almost clockwork precision and reliability (i.e. seemingly at
> least once a week often twice or more a week - irrespective of the down
> time [i.e.
> > 5 minutes]).

> I am neither pro nor anti them nor anyone else particularly. It just
> bemuses and has bemused me as to why they are so praised particularly for
> reliability when it seems that patently they in fact are not top-tier for
> reliability (e.g. 5 9's or even 3 9's, etc.).
>
> Anyhoo.... if voipcheap et. al. (just as one example) can manage a league
> better uptime, etc. why are voip.co.uk praised so highly and possibly even
> more so than others who appear to show significantly better reliability /
> uptime performance, for having supposedly great reliability and uptime
> performance (not to mention they seem to have other inconsistencies and /
> or regular problems - such as with billing, which other organisations do
> not; yet voip.co.uk still seem to receive a very high amount of praise for
> not having such problems????).
>
> As I say, I am not biased nor in preference of any one service or another,
> just bemused as to how their can be regular handfuls of posts about
> voip.co.uk problems and similar handfuls of posts about how their are no
> problems with voip.co.uk? Hmm... odd... inconsistent, ... and the later
> has to be false as a reflection of the reality of the former... anyhow,
> thoughts, etc. welcomed.
>

> Many thanks and best wishes,
>

> News Reader
>

> P.s. Just wanted to ask this for quite a while, particularly as they are
> often recommended with praise for excellence of uptime / reliability and
> customer service / billing when other companies actually seem to perform a
> league or more better and others regularly post about problems with
> voip.co.uk (seems highly inconsistent or simply wrong).

I have used them for 18 months or so, with very few issues. Could it be more
an ISP issue?

mymail@hotmail.com

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 14:04:01 +0100, "acdeag"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have used them for 18 months or so, with very few issues. Could it be more
>an ISP issue?

One other thought it may be that the company as changed hands and this
kind of thing tends to happen in such cases .

News Reader

"News Reader" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OwRGi.63357$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi,
>

> I probably ought to start this post with an apology but never the less.
>
> I am trying to fathom why voip.co.uk are so highly praised and rated for
> their stability, etc. when it appears the reality is their service goes
> down with almost clockwork precision and reliability (i.e. seemingly at
> least once a week often twice or more a week - irrespective of the down
> time [i.e.
> > 5 minutes]).

> I am neither pro nor anti them nor anyone else particularly. It just
> bemuses and has bemused me as to why they are so praised particularly for
> reliability when it seems that patently they in fact are not top-tier for
> reliability (e.g. 5 9's or even 3 9's, etc.).
>
> Anyhoo.... if voipcheap et. al. (just as one example) can manage a league
> better uptime, etc. why are voip.co.uk praised so highly and possibly even
> more so than others who appear to show significantly better reliability /
> uptime performance, for having supposedly great reliability and uptime
> performance (not to mention they seem to have other inconsistencies and /
> or regular problems - such as with billing, which other organisations do
> not; yet voip.co.uk still seem to receive a very high amount of praise for
> not having such problems????).
>
> As I say, I am not biased nor in preference of any one service or another,
> just bemused as to how their can be regular handfuls of posts about
> voip.co.uk problems and similar handfuls of posts about how their are no
> problems with voip.co.uk? Hmm... odd... inconsistent, ... and the later
> has to be false as a reflection of the reality of the former... anyhow,
> thoughts, etc. welcomed.
>

> Many thanks and best wishes,
>

> News Reader
>

> P.s. Just wanted to ask this for quite a while, particularly as they are
> often recommended with praise for excellence of uptime / reliability and
> customer service / billing when other companies actually seem to perform a
> league or more better and others regularly post about problems with
> voip.co.uk (seems highly inconsistent or simply wrong).

Hi,

Thanks for all your posts.

All in all, it seems that generally speaking, own equipment and ISP given,
voip.co.uk are actually pretty fine!

I am not a user myself - it is just gauging posts here. By comparison, I
don't believe I have ever seen a post about problems or downtime with
Finarea / Betamax (VoIP) services, etc.

Thanks again for all the input. Once again, it seems that most any issues
will be or are down to user equipment or the users ISP.

Thanks again and best wishes,

News Reader

Steve in Herts

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 13:57:02 GMT, "News Reader" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi,
>

>I probably ought to start this post with an apology but never the less.
>
>I am trying to fathom why voip.co.uk are so highly praised and rated for
>their stability, etc. when it appears the reality is their service goes down
>with almost clockwork precision and reliability (i.e. seemingly at least
>once a week often twice or more a week - irrespective of the down time [i.e.
> > 5 minutes]).

>I am neither pro nor anti them nor anyone else particularly. It just bemuses
>and has bemused me as to why they are so praised particularly for
>reliability when it seems that patently they in fact are not top-tier for
>reliability (e.g. 5 9's or even 3 9's, etc.).
>
>Anyhoo.... if voipcheap et. al. (just as one example) can manage a league
>better uptime, etc. why are voip.co.uk praised so highly and possibly even
>more so than others who appear to show significantly better reliability /
>uptime performance, for having supposedly great reliability and uptime
>performance (not to mention they seem to have other inconsistencies and / or
>regular problems - such as with billing, which other organisations do not;
>yet voip.co.uk still seem to receive a very high amount of praise for not
>having such problems????).
>
>As I say, I am not biased nor in preference of any one service or another,
>just bemused as to how their can be regular handfuls of posts about
>voip.co.uk problems and similar handfuls of posts about how their are no
>problems with voip.co.uk? Hmm... odd... inconsistent, ... and the later has
>to be false as a reflection of the reality of the former... anyhow,
>thoughts, etc. welcomed.
>

>Many thanks and best wishes,

I can only speak from personal experience. I have been using
voip.co.uk for the past 12 months. There have been about 3 outages in
that time, each lasting a few hours.

They are not as reliable as a PSTN operator like BT, but given the
fact that they offer a service-rich product at a fraction of the price
of the PSTN operators, I rate them very highly. I plan to remain a
customer for the forseeable future.

Steve