Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Like it or not...Vista is the future

Like it or not...Vista is the future

SgtMinor

Mitch wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Everyone hates the newest version of Windows until it's been around for a
>>while then everyone
>>uses it.

> You don't make any sense.
> People who hate it and also know there are better alternatives don't
> use it.

Pepsi wins the taste tests but Coke sells more cola. Go figure.

> Lots of people don't use it.
>
> I'm mystified why so many of you dislike what Windows and what
> Microsoft keeps doing but buy it and use it anyway.

In the vast majority of cases, it's only when you build your own system
that you have the choice of what OS to buy.

lifesupport123@gmail.com

Mitch wrote:
> I'm mystified why so many of you dislike what Windows and what
> Microsoft keeps doing but buy it and use it anyway.

I run Windows in a virtual machine just for fun, I don't know about paying for it.
--
Everyone needs support
http://home.comcast.net/~lifesupport123/

Mitch

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, SgtMinor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > You don't make any sense.
> > People who hate it and also know there are better alternatives don't
> > use it.

> Pepsi wins the taste tests but Coke sells more cola. Go figure.

Sells more by a little bit, and not just because of taste.
Lots of people drink both; lots of people choose just whichever they
want at the time (and it's a lot more than 2 choices!)

But if you knew there were two choices, and you knew that you vastly
preferred one (or hated the other) then you would choose the one you
liked, yes?

> > Lots of people don't use it.
> >
> > I'm mystified why so many of you dislike what Windows and what
> > Microsoft keeps doing but buy it and use it anyway.

> In the vast majority of cases, it's only when you build your own system
> that you have the choice of what OS to buy.

If you decide first, the hardware might follow.
Many people choose to use Mac OS; so they buy a machine that comes with
that.
Some people deliberately buy packages with Linux flavors installed and
supported, right out of manufacturer's hands.

why?

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 16:35:07 -0400, "Mr. Arnold" <MR. http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

><snipped>
>
>>>I am going to put it to you like this. XP Pro cannot match Vista Business,
>>>Enterprise or Ultimate. XP Pro can't do it and I have used XP Pro and
>>>Vista
>>>Ultimate in my development work.

>> Match what and do what? Don't do much development anymore.

>Here you go.
>
><http://www.iis.net/articles/view.aspx/IIS7/Extending-IIS7/Getting-Started/How-to-Take-Advantage-of-the-IIS7-Integrated-Pipel>
>
><http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/04/20/Cool-new-IIS7-Features-and-APIs.aspx>

<snip>

Thanks for the links.

<snip>

>And on top of that, all of this is free to take advantage of Vista from
>Visual Studio 2005 Express from a development standpoint, including SQL
>Sever 2005 Express. Now, VS 2008 is coming out.

Was thinking about VS a while ago. I am sure it's in my Technet
subscription, perhaps time to look through it a bit more.

At least Technet lets me install Vista on several PCs, maybe time to
really get a look at it.

>And on top of that, M$ with Win 2k3 server, IIS and .Net are walking down
>Linux and Apache, as Linux has nothing to match it and keep pace.

<snip>

I still like Apache, PHP, Perl.

Me

The Old Sourdough

On 2007-09-15, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, (E-Mail Removed)
waxed eloquently:
> William Poaster <wp@freebsd-6.2-mc2.eu> wrote:
>>
>> Well Fista sure isn't *my* future, & I dumped M$ a long time ago.
>>

> Everyone hates the newest version of Windows until it's been around for a while then everyone
> uses it.

Everyone??

--
The Old Sourdough

Ima Beech

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 06:49:06 -0500, philo wrote:
<snip>
> I did give Vista a try for three months... I finally dumped it and
> installed PcLinuxOS.

So far, PCLinuxOS has performed nicely. I believe I'll keep this one.

> Though I will not go back to Vista... it looks like it's here to stay.
> (At least until Microsoft comes out with their next one)

Next one? Yuk!

Ponder

Hiya Ima Beech.

In <news:(E-Mail Removed)> you wrote:

>> Though I will not go back to Vista... it looks like it's here to stay.
>> (At least until Microsoft comes out with their next one)

> Next one? Yuk!

Next one will probably require you scan the receipt for every bit of
hardware you buy, just to make sure it's not stolen or borrowed

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

Ima Beech

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 18:23:23 +0000, Ponder wrote:

> Hiya Ima Beech.
>
> In <news:(E-Mail Removed)> you wrote:
>
>>> Though I will not go back to Vista... it looks like it's here to stay.
>>> (At least until Microsoft comes out with their next one)

>> Next one? Yuk!

> Next one will probably require you scan the receipt for every bit of
> hardware you buy, just to make sure it's not stolen or borrowed

<shudder>