Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Like it or not...Vista is the future

Like it or not...Vista is the future

lifesupport123@gmail.com

Mara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> William hasn't used a M$ product in many years, so your "everyone" premise falls
> flat right there. And I can *guarantee* you that *I* will never run Vista. I
> don't need or have to.

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.
--
Everyone needs support - Freenode #GLOBAL-Link
http://home.comcast.net/~lifesupport123/

Mara

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 11:30:57 -0500, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Mara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> William hasn't used a M$ product in many years, so your "everyone" premise falls
>> flat right there. And I can *guarantee* you that *I* will never run Vista. I
>> don't need or have to.

>Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.

If you're trying to be funny, forget it - this trolling you're doing has set a
new record for Boring.

*yawn* zzzzZZZZZzzzzz

--
A luser is someone who returns a perfectly good hammer to the hardware
store saying "There's something wrong with it. *I keep hitting my

why?

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 06:49:06 -0500, philo wrote:

>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 02:26:08 -0500, philo wrote:
>>
>> >http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/xps/default.mspx
>> >

>> >XPS is going to be the publishing industry standard.
>> >I just got home from Chicago during a Publishing Industry convention.

>> <snip>
>>
>> >It'll still be a number of years...
>> >but I guess we will have to get used to it.

>> Like, not.
>>
>> Or better , perhaps not yet.
>>
>> Have reused the hardisks Vista Ult. x32 and x64 were installed on.
>>
>> Me

>I did give Vista a try for three months...
>I finally dumped it and installed PcLinuxOS.

Just downloading Bluewhite64 Linux Live DVD to have a go.

>Though I will not go back to Vista...
>it looks like it's here to stay. (At least until Microsoft comes out with
>their next one)

MS sent me a Server 2008 Beta 3

Me

lifesupport123@gmail.com

Mara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If you're trying to be funny, forget it - this trolling you're doing has set a
> new record for Boring.
>
> *yawn* zzzzZZZZZzzzzz

.:\:/:.
.:\:\:/:/:.
:.:\:\:/:/:.:
:=.' - - '.=:
'=(\ 9 9 /)='
( (_) )
/`-vvv-'\
/ \
/ /|,,,,,|\ \
/_// /^\ \\_\
WW( ( ) )WW
__\,,\ /,,/__
(______Y______)
--
Everyone needs support - Freenode #GLOBAL-Link
http://home.comcast.net/~lifesupport123/

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> William Poaster <wp@freebsd-6.2-mc2.eu> wrote:
>> Well Fista sure isn't *my* future, & I dumped M$ a long time ago.
>>

> Everyone hates the newest version of Windows until it's been around
> for a while then everyone uses it.

To paraphrase Bob Uecker:
"Your estimation is juuuuuuust a bit high."

--
-bts
-quite happy with Win2K on the Windows box

Mr. Arnold

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 06:49:06 -0500, philo wrote:
>

>>"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> <snip>

>>> Like, not.
>>>
>>> Or better , perhaps not yet.
>>>
>>> Have reused the hardisks Vista Ult. x32 and x64 were installed on.
>>>
>>> Me

>>I did give Vista a try for three months...
>>I finally dumped it and installed PcLinuxOS.

> Just downloading Bluewhite64 Linux Live DVD to have a go.
>
>>Though I will not go back to Vista...
>>it looks like it's here to stay. (At least until Microsoft comes out with
>>their next one)

> MS sent me a Server 2008 Beta 3

Do you think Vista is going anywhere?

The network support personnel at the contract I am working at doing some
..Net Web development won't go to Vista as of yet, but they know they are
going to be forced to go, according to them.

I am going to put it to you like this. XP Pro cannot match Vista Business,
Enterprise or Ultimate. XP Pro can't do it and I have used XP Pro and Vista
Ultimate in my development work.

BTW, Win 2k8 Severe O/S is not workstation O/S (Vista), just like Win 2k3
Server O/S is not workstation O/S (XP Pro). <g>

why?

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 13:45:05 -0400, "Mr. Arnold" <MR. (E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 06:49:06 -0500, philo wrote:
>>

>>>"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>>I did give Vista a try for three months...
>>>I finally dumped it and installed PcLinuxOS.

<snip>

>> MS sent me a Server 2008 Beta 3
>>

>Do you think Vista is going anywhere?

I don't know, there is a lot of it deployed, even some at work are
asking for it now.

I could see our company (on site outsourced IT) switching to it, central
management just love to have such tight control. We are looking at the
deployment tools locally.

For me I just don't really think it's fixed / updated what was needed.
It's too media rich , it' not what I want. Even some recent articles in
the TCP/IP v4/v6 issues and media control will throttle other parts to
keep playback going isn't for me.

It won't bother me all that much as my setup as work is NT4 Wstn /
Server, 2000 and XP desktops as well as a Linux box.

>The network support personnel at the contract I am working at doing some
>.Net Web development won't go to Vista as of yet, but they know they are
>going to be forced to go, according to them.

I could maybe see us (as a company) putting the customer on before us.
However that would be 4 or 5 years as we just did a big H/W XP & large
AD rollout. It's not the time to change

>I am going to put it to you like this. XP Pro cannot match Vista Business,
>Enterprise or Ultimate. XP Pro can't do it and I have used XP Pro and Vista
>Ultimate in my development work.

Match what and do what? Don't do much development anymore.

>BTW, Win 2k8 Severe O/S is not workstation O/S (Vista), just like Win 2k3

Looking for another x64 box just for something like that.

>Server O/S is not workstation O/S (XP Pro). <g>

Yes, well got that. There is a sometimes 2000 / 2003 server running
here, the ocassional Linux and Solaris

Me

Mr. Arnold

<snipped>

>>I am going to put it to you like this. XP Pro cannot match Vista Business,
>>Enterprise or Ultimate. XP Pro can't do it and I have used XP Pro and
>>Vista
>>Ultimate in my development work.

> Match what and do what? Don't do much development anymore.

Here you go.

<http://www.iis.net/articles/view.aspx/IIS7/Extending-IIS7/Getting-Started/How-to-Take-Advantage-of-the-IIS7-Integrated-Pipel>

<http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/04/20/Cool-new-IIS7-Features-and-APIs.aspx>

<http://www.aspnetpro.com/opinion/2006/08/asp200608jg_o/asp200608jg_o.asp>

<http://www.code-magazine.com/Article.aspx?quickid=060103>

There are other features in Vista from a developer's standpoint that no
prior version of the NT based workstation can match to Vista. But I am not
going to go into that.

And on top of that, all of this is free to take advantage of Vista from
Visual Studio 2005 Express from a development standpoint, including SQL
Sever 2005 Express. Now, VS 2008 is coming out.

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/beginner/learningpath/>

People (basically Linux and M$ home users) talking about Vista, they really
don't have a *clue*.

And on top of that, M$ with Win 2k3 server, IIS and .Net are walking down
Linux and Apache, as Linux has nothing to match it and keep pace.

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20...er_survey.html

Mr. Arnold

<correction>

And on top of that, M$ with Win 2k3 server, *IIS7* and .Net are walking down
Linux and Apache, as Linux has nothing to match it and keep pace.

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20...er_survey.html

Mitch

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Everyone hates the newest version of Windows until it's been around for a
> while then everyone
> uses it.

You don't make any sense.
People who hate it and also know there are better alternatives don't
use it.
Lots of people don't use it.

I'm mystified why so many of you dislike what Windows and what
Microsoft keeps doing but buy it and use it anyway.