Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > hiding jpeg data

hiding jpeg data

steve

I want to email some jpegs to a friend but don't want all the info about
the camera, its settings, the date etc sent with it! How do I strip this
information off the image? I have Photoshop 6 and Irfanview but neithre of
them seem to be able to do this.

Gino

Save for web?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I want to email some jpegs to a friend but don't want all the info about
>the camera, its settings, the date etc sent with it! How do I strip this
>information off the image? I have Photoshop 6 and Irfanview but neithre of
>them seem to be able to do this.

Adrian Boliston

steve wrote:

> I want to email some jpegs to a friend but don't want all the info
> about the camera, its settings, the date etc sent with it! How do I
> strip this information off the image? I have Photoshop 6 and
> Irfanview but neithre of them seem to be able to do this.

In Irfanview have you tried unticking the "keep original exif data" box
under jpeg save options?

Mark Roberts

steve wrote:

>I want to email some jpegs to a friend but don't want all the info about
>the camera, its settings, the date etc sent with it! How do I strip this
>information off the image? I have Photoshop 6 and Irfanview but neithre of
>them seem to be able to do this.

More recent versions of Photoshop have a "Save for Web" option that
strips out all metadata. I don't know if Photoshop 6 includes this. If
it doesn't, you *can* use IrfanView: Open the file, choose "Save As"
and when you choose JPEG as an output format you'll get a extra dialog
box with JPEG options. Besides the usual quality setting there are a
few check boxes, one of which is "Keep original EXIF Data"; uncheck
that box and save.

You can also use a program like EXIF Editor to just remove or change
the EXIF data. http://www.kiwiczech.net/index.php?menu=353&sub=4

--
Mark Roberts Photography & Multimedia
www.robertstech.com

Deep Reset

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I want to email some jpegs to a friend but don't want all the info about
>the camera, its settings, the date etc sent with it! How do I strip this
>information off the image? I have Photoshop 6 and Irfanview but neithre of
>them seem to be able to do this.

Photoshop's "Save for web" does it for me.

HTH

Deep.

steve

"Mark Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
.. If
> it doesn't, you *can* use IrfanView: Open the file, choose "Save As"
> and when you choose JPEG as an output format you'll get a extra dialog
> box with JPEG options. Besides the usual quality setting there are a
> few check boxes, one of which is "Keep original EXIF Data"; uncheck
> that box and save.
>
> You can also use a program like EXIF Editor to just remove or change
> the EXIF data. http://www.kiwiczech.net/index.php?menu=353&sub=4
>
> --
> Mark Roberts Photography & Multimedia
> www.robertstech.com
> 412-687-2835

Cheers, this did the job.

Jim

On 2007-09-14 15:39:07 -0400, "steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> I want to email some jpegs to a friend but don't want all the info about
> the camera, its settings, the date etc sent with it! How do I strip this
> information off the image? I have Photoshop 6 and Irfanview but neithre of
> them seem to be able to do this.

You could simply edit the data. replace with blanks and save it.
--
Jim <jen....not....home..remvdots...@....yahoo