Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Ghost image SATA drive

Ghost image SATA drive

HardLuckKid

I am a novice trying to image a Acer Aspire 5100 laptop with XP Pro. I
have Ghost2003 and am wondering if I can image the drive and still
boot the image after using it for recovery. IT frineds of mine told me
it wouldn't work any suggestions? Any relevant advice is appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Hi:
Ghost2003 is rather old for backing up newer operating systems.
Here http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/as5100.htm mentions Windows XP
32-bit as the newest OS it works with.
Your Acer laptop (http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/as5100.htm) is
bundled with Vista.
What is exactly the "XP Pro" your laptop has?
Carlos

On Sep 14, 8:26 pm, Carlos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi:
> Ghost2003 is rather old for backing up newer operating systems.
> Herehttp://global.acer.com/products/notebook/as5100.htmmentions Windows XP
> 32-bit as the newest OS it works with.
> Your Acer laptop (http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/as5100.htm) is
> bundled with Vista.
> What is exactly the "XP Pro" your laptop has?
> Carlos
>

> "HardLuckKid" wrote:
> > I am a novice trying to image a Acer Aspire 5100 laptop with XP Pro. I
> > have Ghost2003 and am wondering if I can image the drive and still
> > boot the image after using it for recovery. IT frineds of mine told me
> > it wouldn't work any suggestions? Any relevant advice is appreciated.- Hide quoted text -

Her laptop came with Vista Premium but I had to Put XP Pro on it as
per NJIT requirements - she has XP Pro Ver 2002 with SP2

John Barnes

If you are using XP Pro, you are in the wrong newsgroup. That said, I have
used Ghost2003 on several occasions to image SATA drives. It makes no
difference. Ghost has no problem with that version of NTFS which is the
main consideration. It does not work with Vista due to the different NTFS.

"HardLuckKid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I am a novice trying to image a Acer Aspire 5100 laptop with XP Pro. I
> have Ghost2003 and am wondering if I can image the drive and still
> boot the image after using it for recovery. IT frineds of mine told me
> it wouldn't work any suggestions? Any relevant advice is appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?QW50ZWF1cw==?=

I have a similar model, and while it's a 64-bit machine they don't supply a
64-bit OS.

I think Ghost should be OK, I use Powerquest Drive Image 5 which I find
slightly more user-friendly.

One thing you may find is that since these utilities run on DOS, and this OS
doesn't have the AMD power-control driver (though I believe it can be added)
therefore you may find it gets rather hot as the processor is running
full-belt all the time. Just watch the temperature, and don't leave it
running DOS for hours. An ammeter test shows that the machine draws ~50W in
this condition, as opposed to <30W normally.

Oh, and you need a second partition to do the backup to, which is a problem
if the disk is filled with one huge partition. HST, a lot of Acers with come
with two partitions, in which case you're laughing. Otherwise you might be
able to use a USB disk, though I've not tried that route. (To use a USB disk
in DOS it must be connected before boot.)