Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Dell produces customized Ubuntu Linux for customers

Dell produces customized Ubuntu Linux for customers

Au79

<http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6937429363.html>

http://rixstep.com/1/20040719,00.shtml
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux
http://www.ubuntu.com

sittingduck

Au79 wrote:

> <http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6937429363.html>

Now Dell's POS computers can have a POS desktop OS on them! YAY!

--
http://improve-usenet.org

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

sittingduck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Au79 wrote:
>
>> <http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6937429363.html>

>>Now Dell's POS computers can have a POS desktop OS on them! YAY!

Dell is at least giving people a choice other than the POS Vista. They
are also offering XP rather than VIsta as well.

--

Indian government tries to prove it's religion bogus. withdraws...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6994415.stm

sittingduck

wrote:

> Dell is at least giving people a choice other than the POS Vista. They
> are also offering XP rather than VIsta as well.

Ok, you have a point there... I'm sick of removing Vista from all my friends'
new laptops already.

--
http://improve-usenet.org

Fuzzy Logic

Au79 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Z0xGi.273464$(E-Mail Removed):

><http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6937429363.html>

And it's apparently not ready for mainstream computer users according to
Walt Mossberg:

Dell and Canonical tell me there are complex workarounds for some of the
problems I encountered, and that built-in improvements are planned for
others. But for now, I still advise mainstream, nontechnical users to avoid
Linux.

More here:

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/?p=141&ak_action=printable

Mitch

In article <Z0xGi.273464$(E-Mail Removed)>, Au79 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> <http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6937429363.html>

So what? SAY SOMETHING about this, because 'customized' doesn't
actually amount to anything meaningful or beneficial unless you know
what is changed and how useful it is.

Blinky the Shark

sittingduck wrote:

[stuff]

If I haven't mentioned it, thanks for the link in your sig.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

sittingduck

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> If I haven't mentioned it, thanks for the link in your sig.

Thank YOU for raising awareness, and creating the UIP.

--
http://improve-usenet.org

Mike Easter

Fuzzy Logic wrote:

> And it's apparently not ready for mainstream computer users according
> to Walt Mossberg:

> http://ptech.allthingsd.com/?p=141&ak_action=printable

This is an article about the Dell Inspiron 1420N with Ubuntu
pre-installed. I would like to see if Mark Shuttleworth would confirm
that he told Walt Mossberg:

// Mark Shuttleworth, the South African-born founder of the Ubuntu
project, told me this week that "it would be reasonable to say that this
is not ready for the mass market." //

I find that doubtful.

--
Mike Easter

Blinky the Shark

sittingduck wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> If I haven't mentioned it, thanks for the link in your sig.

> Thank YOU for raising awareness, and creating the UIP.

My pleasure, quackful one.