Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 'Raid' hard drive

Reply
Thread Tools

'Raid' hard drive

 
 
doobydoobydo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-14-2007
How would I know if I have a 'raid' hard drive. I have suddenly discovered
after two years that my hard drive is partitioned. Someone said I should
put all saved 'stuff' on the second partition as this speeds up the puter.
I also have a recovery partition.
Dunno if the below is any help in seeing if I have a 'Raid' hard disk, got
the feeling its not.
Is it true about putting saved stuff on second partition?


c: (NTFS on drive 0) 152.55 GB 51.77 GB free
d: (NTFS on drive 1) 160.04 GB 159.66 GB free
e: (FAT32 on drive 0) 7.47 GB 3.98 GB free


Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
3.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache

320.06 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
215.41 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S [CD-ROM drive]
PHILIPS DVDR16LS [CD-ROM drive]

Generic USB CF Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
Generic USB MS Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 5
Generic USB SD Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
Generic USB SM Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4
ST3160023AS [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 1
ST3160023AS [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0

Thanks
Sheila


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tina Peters
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-14-2007

"doobydoobydo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> the puter.


What's a 'puter'?

*grrrr*

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
doobydoobydo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-14-2007

"Tina Peters" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kQvGi.106$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "doobydoobydo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> the puter.

>
> What's a 'puter'?
>
> *grrrr*


something you get commed into buying by your kids, sorry children.


 
Reply With Quote
 
why?
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-14-2007

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 13:50:19 +0100, doobydoobydo wrote:

>How would I know if I have a 'raid' hard drive. I have suddenly discovered


A 'raid' hard drive performance wise or a 'raid' array configured?

RAID is usually setup in the PC BIOS settings. When you boot there may
well be a RAID message on screen checking the array and indicating it's
okay.

** Don't go poking aroung, if you enable RAID it will WIPE everything as
it will REFORMAT the disks. **

If the PC was bought with 2 hardrives (100GB for 200GB total) and you
see 100GB. That's RAID 1 a simple mirror, 1 drive is a copy of the
other.

You little table would be
c d e (drive 0) 100GB
The other drive may not be visible as the RAID controller manages it.

If you see 1 drive (volume labels like C/D/E) only and it's 200GB then
that's RAID 0 stipped it appears as 1 drive. Your list nelow shows 2
drives (volumes) C/E on 1 hardisk and D on the other.

This most likely would be
c d e (drive 0) 200GB

The report for the physical drives would be the same
ST3160023AS [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 1
ST3160023AS [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0

http://compreviews.about.com/od/stor...aRAIDPage1.htm


>after two years that my hard drive is partitioned. Someone said I should


Partition is a different thing, it's dividing the spave up in volumes,
like C D and E.

>put all saved 'stuff' on the second partition as this speeds up the puter.


Well it's safer and you should backup anyway. Say you had to reinstall
Windows, it's a lot easier if it's on C and your data is on D. Then when
you write a clean setup of Windows to C it doesn't write to D.

>I also have a recovery partition.
>Dunno if the below is any help in seeing if I have a 'Raid' hard disk, got
>the feeling its not.
>Is it true about putting saved stuff on second partition?
>
>
> c: (NTFS on drive 0) 152.55 GB 51.77 GB free
> d: (NTFS on drive 1) 160.04 GB 159.66 GB free


You haven't used D, by the look of things.

> e: (FAT32 on drive 0) 7.47 GB 3.98 GB free


Not RAIDed, you have 2 x 160, C/E and D on the 2 drives.

>
>Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
>3.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
>16 kilobyte primary memory cache
>1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
>
>320.06 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
>215.41 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space


<snip>

>ST3160023AS [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 1
>ST3160023AS [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0
>
>Thanks
>Sheila
>


Me
 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-14-2007
doobydoobydo wrote:
>
> "Tina Peters" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:kQvGi.106$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "doobydoobydo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> the puter.

>>
>> What's a 'puter'?
>>
>> *grrrr*

>
> something you get commed into buying by your kids, sorry children.


I believe you mean "conned" into.


--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org <----------- New Site Aug 28
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hard drive is Disk 0 CHANGES to hard drive is Disk 1??? And still works!!! Spin Computer Support 7 04-09-2008 09:04 PM
Hard drive is Disk 0 CHANGES to hard drive is Disk 1??? And still works!!! Spin Windows 64bit 10 04-09-2008 09:04 PM
Change Master/Boot Hard Drive to Slave/Non boot Hard Drive & Visa Versa Steve808us@yahoo.com Computer Information 0 01-18-2005 01:57 PM
Help, Hard Drive hell......Hard drive not installing. Win98se Anthropy Computer Support 4 02-24-2004 08:54 PM
Moving Mozilla files from old hard drive to new hard drive Nate Firefox 1 02-21-2004 09:09 PM



Advertisments