Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Install Mac OS X - Idle doesn't show up

Install Mac OS X - Idle doesn't show up

Dominique

Hello,

Sorry bothering you with such a trivial problem.

I installed python on a new mac at office.
It seems everything is fine: in the console, I access to python.
But I just can't start Idle. It seems to open but closes immediately (it appears
in the dock and closes immediately).
It is also impossible to open any .py file.

I am sure some of you have a good idea of what to do (path,...).

Thanks in advance
Dominique

Kevin Walzer

Dominique wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry bothering you with such a trivial problem.
>
> I installed python on a new mac at office.
> It seems everything is fine: in the console, I access to python.
> But I just can't start Idle. It seems to open but closes immediately (it appears
> in the dock and closes immediately).
> It is also impossible to open any .py file.
>
> I am sure some of you have a good idea of what to do (path,...).
>
> Thanks in advance
> Dominique

How did you install/build Python? On the Mac, you really aren't supposed
to start it from the terminal unless you are running it under X11 or are
using a non-framework build. If you built it the standard Mac way, or if
you use the binary installer from python.org, Idle is installed in
/Applications/MacPython 2.5. Look there, and you should be able to drag
the Idle icon to the dock.

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin

Kevin Walzer

Kevin Walzer <kw <at> codebykevin.com> writes:

> How did you install/build Python? On the Mac, you really aren't supposed
> to start it from the terminal unless you are running it under X11 or are
> using a non-framework build. If you built it the standard Mac way, or if
> you use the binary installer from python.org, Idle is installed in
> /Applications/MacPython 2.5. Look there, and you should be able to drag
> the Idle icon to the dock.

Hum Hum Hum...
That's what I did. It did not work. Now yes. ???!!!!!
I should have dreamt. I don't understand....

Thank you Kevin for your help
Dominique