Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > OT: Happy Birthday

OT: Happy Birthday

Briscobar

To Sass. He's 25 today. Old fart!

And for those interested, basically, here's the deal:

He's still at home, still doing nothing but go to therapy 3 times a week and
watch the Game Show Network. He doesn't want to do anything, but once he's
forced to start, he's usually alright continuing. He shows 0 initiative.
However, he's physically getting stronger, as he's been able to consistently
walk in a harness for 25 minutes to half an hour while supporting 95% of his
own body weight. His parents wanted to get him a new wheelchair, but his
therapists urged them not to, saying they'd have him walking with a walker
or hopefully a cane soon. I've seen him walk with the walker, and although
it pains me to see him like that, I'm very proud of him for how far he's
come.

As I alluded to, there's a flip side of the coin. His short term memory is
almost nonexistant. He frequently can't find the words to put his thoughts
into. For example, if you ask him what he had for dinner, he'd either say "I
don't know", meaning he doens't remember, or he'll say "I know, but I can't
say", which means he doesn't know the word "chicken" or "meatloaf". They say
this will probably slowly come back as he re-builds his vocabulary, but I'm
not holding my breath.

His weight was an issue for a while. He's about my height, 5'9" or so. For a
year before the accident, he worked really hard to shed almost 50 pounds,
and he was looking good. I don't remember exact numbers, but he was in the
200 range when he had the accident. He lost a LOT of weight and was down to
160 or so. Now, with him eating real food (and until recently, too much of
it, because his parents [and in fairness, us, his friends] couldn't stop
spoiling him), and him having no motivation to actually do anything, he's
ballooned up to somewhere around 240. Basically, he looks like a fat man in
a wheelchair. Although the good news is he's on a strict diet and in the
last 3 weeks, he's lost 8 pounds. He doesnt' have to get down to fighting
weight anytime soon, so as long as it comes off eventually, he'll be all set
in that department.

So, in a nutshell, he's doing better in some areas and he's not doing better
in others. Suppose only time will tell how far he'll go, but he sure as hell
come a long way from 16 months ago when they were giving him a 1% chance of
ever coming out of the coma.

So Happy Birthday, Sass!

--
KB

MCNGP #26
I modified the signatures.ini file to add this: www.mcngp.com

kpg

Briscobar <(E-Mail Removed)> said something like

> He's 25 today. Old fart!

Youth is wasted on the young. :\

Glad to here he's doing better, it's still quite sad though.

Here's to steady improvement.

JaR

In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Briscobar spewed across the ether:

> So Happy Birthday, Sass!

Damb straight!

Feh, "25".

F'n puppy!

--
JaR
MCNGP 10110

Rowdy Yates

"Briscobar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:uzzQRHr#FHA.3676
@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

> So Happy Birthday, Sass!

Happy birthday Sass. And many more to go!

RY

--
Rowdy Yates, MCNGP Thug #39
http://www.mcngp.com/

Neil

did you hear "Briscobar" <(E-Mail Removed)> say in
news:uzzQRHr#(E-Mail Removed):

> So Happy Birthday, Sass!

to Sass. Never met ya, and never been prouder of ya. way to go.

Pass along my good wishes (a day late) as well.

--
Neil MCNGP#30

- It's not over until the FAT table sings.

Neil

did you hear kpg <ipost@thereforeiam> say in

> Youth is wasted on the young. :\

SHUT UP, PUNK!

--
Neil MCNGP#30

- A pessimist will rarely, if ever, be disappointed.

Happy Birthday Modfather unholy The Lounge 17 01-13-2006 07:13 AM
OT: Happy Birthday [You forgot, you !@#*(] Microcephalic S. Bob MCSE 2 11-15-2005 02:18 PM
OT: Happy Birthday Jtyc MCSE 18 11-15-2005 04:02 AM
OT:Happy Birthday CBIC MCSE 59 11-08-2005 09:21 PM
Say Happy Birthday!!!! unholy The Lounge 20 07-04-2005 01:49 AM

Advertisments