Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows XP Home in a boot loop!

Windows XP Home in a boot loop!

Knowledge

Hello chaps,

I have a Compaq Presario 1.8Gb with Windows XP Home and 256MB of ram.

It boots up to the "welcome" screen and sometimes all the way to the
desktop, but before I can do anything, ususally within a minute, the
screen goes black and it reboots again.

I brought it up in safe mode, and ran spybot, and Adaware, but they
didn't seem to cure the problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

AmenRa

chuckcar

Knowledge <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hello chaps,
>
> I have a Compaq Presario 1.8Gb with Windows XP Home and 256MB of ram.
>
> It boots up to the "welcome" screen and sometimes all the way to the
> desktop, but before I can do anything, ususally within a minute, the
> screen goes black and it reboots again.
>
> I brought it up in safe mode, and ran spybot, and Adaware, but they
> didn't seem to cure the problem.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> AmenRa

Go into safe mode again, run msconfig with start->run and disable
startup, reboot to normal. If that stops it, you can selectively turn
the startup enties on to find out which it is. If not try autoexec.bat
the same way.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Knowledge <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello chaps,
>
>I have a Compaq Presario 1.8Gb with Windows XP Home and 256MB of ram.
>
>It boots up to the "welcome" screen and sometimes all the way to the
>desktop, but before I can do anything, ususally within a minute, the
>screen goes black and it reboots again.
>
>I brought it up in safe mode, and ran spybot, and Adaware, but they
>didn't seem to cure the problem.
>
>Anyone have any ideas?

Press F8 and select not to auto reboot of error -
Then disable that option http://tinyurl.com/zxclc
--
Shuttle Pix
http://www.texasjim.com/NASApix/NASA%20pix.htm

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

chuckcar wrote:

> If not try autoexec.bat the same way.

'Splain, please?

--
-bts

DogBrain

Bad drivers to vga?

"DogBrain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bad drivers to vga?

The link was just the first google hit, the only thing that matters
is:

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System
Go to Advanced
Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"

as it's just too much to type out.

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Knowledge <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello chaps,
>>>
>>> I have a Compaq Presario 1.8Gb with Windows XP Home and 256MB of ram.
>>>
>>> It boots up to the "welcome" screen and sometimes all the way to the
>>> desktop, but before I can do anything, ususally within a minute, the
>>> screen goes black and it reboots again.
>>>
>>> I brought it up in safe mode, and ran spybot, and Adaware, but they
>>> didn't seem to cure the problem.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any ideas?

>> Press F8 and select not to auto reboot of error -
>> Then disable that option http://tinyurl.com/zxclc

--

Indian government tries to prove it's religion bogus. withdraws...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6994415.stm

chuckcar

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:UimGi.540453$(E-Mail Removed):

> chuckcar wrote:
>
>> If not try autoexec.bat the same way.

> 'Splain, please?

Exactly what I said about startup. Disable it and if the problem goes
away, start enabling one line at a time.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

chuckcar wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> chuckcar wrote:
>>> If not try autoexec.bat the same way.

>> 'Splain, please?

> Exactly what I said about startup. Disable it and if the problem goes
> away, start enabling one line at a time.

One line of what? autoexec.bat? When did XP get a autoexec.bat?

My Windows box here, using Win2K, does not have an autoexec.bat file.

--
-bts

chuckcar

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:A4AGi.95632$(E-Mail Removed):

> chuckcar wrote:

>>> 'Splain, please?

>> Exactly what I said about startup. Disable it and if the problem goes
>> away, start enabling one line at a time.

> One line of what? autoexec.bat? When did XP get a autoexec.bat?
>
> My Windows box here, using Win2K, does not have an autoexec.bat file.

It's not required, but it's existance is entirely possible. It isn't
required in any version of MSDOS either. Or any previous version of
windows with the exception of the path statement in some.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

chuckcar wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> chuckcar wrote:

>>> Exactly what I said about startup. Disable it and if the problem
>>> goes away, start enabling one line at a time.

>> One line of what? autoexec.bat? When did XP get a autoexec.bat?
>>
>> My Windows box here, using Win2K, does not have an autoexec.bat
>> file.

> It's not required, but it's existance is entirely possible. It isn't
> required in any version of MSDOS either. Or any previous version of
> windows with the exception of the path statement in some.

<http://www1458.computing.net/programming/wwwboard/forum/11646.html>

"So stated be aware under Windows XP Autoexec.bat, while in the root
directory, is a dummy file and the commands it holds are disregarded
except for the setting of environmental variables (Set commands).

Instead Autoexec.NT is used to set up the emulated DOS environment for a
DOS window, and you can have multiple Autoexec.xx files, being
Autoexec.NT the system default.

Autoexec.NT to Windows XP 32 bit environment is abosolutely irrilevant."

...and: http://www.newdaynews.com/fixit/inde...rames/read/259

So it would be unlikely that any autoexec.bat file would be causing the
OP's startup problem.

--
-bts