Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Added Second Hard Drive, now what?

Added Second Hard Drive, now what?

//// Owen \\\\\\\\

I have added a 500MB Seagate Barracuda which is now my system drive, and
I've reformatted my old 160 MB drive.

So... what do I put on the old drive (I'm using a 300MB external drive for
backing-up) I read I should put my swap file on the old drive, but I'd be
grateful if someone could point me in the right direction

thanks

John

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

//// Owen \\\\ wrote:
> I have added a 500MB Seagate Barracuda which is now my system drive, and
> I've reformatted my old 160 MB drive.
>
> So... what do I put on the old drive (I'm using a 300MB external drive
> for backing-up) I read I should put my swap file on the old drive, but
> I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction

I'm going to be charitable to you and simply remind you, I doubt that
you are talking about MB's on all these drives.

ded

"//// Owen \\\\" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I have added a 500MB Seagate Barracuda which is now my system drive, and
>I've reformatted my old 160 MB drive.
>
> So... what do I put on the old drive (I'm using a 300MB external drive for
> backing-up) I read I should put my swap file on the old drive, but I'd be
> grateful if someone could point me in the right direction
>
> thanks
>
> John

GB, not MB.
Is it XP, if so leave it to windows to assign the swap file based
on installed RAM.
The formatted 160gb hard drive, well you now have an additional
back up HD.

//// Owen \\\\\\\\

Rgr wrote:
> //// Owen \\\\ wrote:
>> I have added a 500MB Seagate Barracuda which is now my system drive,
>> and I've reformatted my old 160 MB drive.
>>
>> So... what do I put on the old drive (I'm using a 300MB external
>> drive for backing-up) I read I should put my swap file on the old
>> drive, but I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right
>> direction

> I'm going to be charitable to you and simply remind you, I doubt that
> you are talking about MB's on all these drives.

Oh God........... ANOTHER senior moment. I did originally wite mB !!!

//// Owen \\\\\\\\

ded wrote:
> "//// Owen \\\\" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> I have added a 500MB Seagate Barracuda which is now my system drive,
>> and I've reformatted my old 160 MB drive.
>>
>> So... what do I put on the old drive (I'm using a 300MB external
>> drive for backing-up) I read I should put my swap file on the old
>> drive, but I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right
>> direction thanks
>>
>> John

> GB, not MB.
> Is it XP, if so leave it to windows to assign the swap file based
> on installed RAM.
> The formatted 160gb hard drive, well you now have an additional
> back up HD.

Thanks. I do use XP. I was just wondering if there was anything I should
let reside on the old drive.

cizzo

On Sep 13, 11:21 am, "//// Owen \\\\\\\\" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ded wrote:
> > "//// Owen \\\\" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> I have added a 500MB Seagate Barracuda which is now my system drive,
> >> and I've reformatted my old 160 MB drive.

> >> So... what do I put on the old drive (I'm using a 300MB external
> >> drive for backing-up) I read I should put my swap file on the old
> >> drive, but I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right
> >> direction thanks

> >> John

> > GB, not MB.
> > Is it XP, if so leave it to windows to assign the swap file based
> > on installed RAM.
> > The formatted 160gb hard drive, well you now have an additional
> > back up HD.

> Thanks. I do use XP. I was just wondering if there was anything I should
> let reside on the old drive.- Hide quoted text -

You do not need to leave any files on the old drive. I assume you are
using the new drive as your primary master with XP on it, and your
secondary you can simply use for storage. Just format the secondary
(old) drive with NTFS and you're good to plop stuff on there.

Blinky the Shark

//// Owen \\\\ wrote:
> Rgr wrote:
>> //// Owen \\\\ wrote:
>>> I have added a 500MB Seagate Barracuda which is now my system drive,
>>> and I've reformatted my old 160 MB drive.
>>>
>>> So... what do I put on the old drive (I'm using a 300MB external
>>> drive for backing-up) I read I should put my swap file on the old
>>> drive, but I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right
>>> direction

>> I'm going to be charitable to you and simply remind you, I doubt that
>> you are talking about MB's on all these drives.

> Oh God........... ANOTHER senior moment. I did originally wite mB !!!

Uh. That's supposed to be better?

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

//// Owen \\\\\\\\

> You do not need to leave any files on the old drive. I assume you are
> using the new drive as your primary master with XP on it, and your
> secondary you can simply use for storage. Just format the secondary
> (old) drive with NTFS and you're good to plop stuff on there.

Thank you. I shall start plopping.

VanguardLH

"Owen" wrote in message news:IZdGi.164446$fJ5.95493@pd7urf1no...
> I have added a 500MB Seagate Barracuda which is now my system drive,
> and I've reformatted my old 160 MB drive.
>
> So... what do I put on the old drive (I'm using a 300MB external
> drive for backing-up) I read I should put my swap file on the old
> drive, but I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right
> direction

See a doctor regarding your alzeihmer's disease. Only you know why
you thought you needed another hard drive.

//// Owen \\\\\\\\

>> I have added a 500MB Seagate Barracuda which is now my system drive,
>> and I've reformatted my old 160 MB drive.
>>
>> So... what do I put on the old drive (I'm using a 300MB external
>> drive for backing-up) I read I should put my swap file on the old
>> drive, but I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right
>> direction

> See a doctor regarding your alzeihmer's disease. Only you know why
> you thought you needed another hard drive.

Now, now.....steady on.... Alzheimer's has nothing to do with making
typos. Maybe "alzeihmer's" does. And, I needed a new HD because my 160GB
drive was full to the point that I couldn't defrag it. That seems a pretty
good reason to buy a new drive.