Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can I use Western Digital Caviar SE16 and RE2 in RAID array?

Can I use Western Digital Caviar SE16 and RE2 in RAID array?

Peter

Hello,

maybe a newbie question, but I have no experience with RAID configurations
at all.

I own 2 WD SATA 150 harddisks, one is the Caviar SE16 400GB model WD4000KD,
the other is the Caviar RE2 400GB model WD4000YR, optimized for RAID/server
arrays. Both have 16MB cache, there are some very small differences in
specifications, and only one of two supports NCQ, the RE2 model.

I contacted WD technical support, but all I got was a list of FAQ that didnt
answer my question, which is;

Can I use the 2 drives combined in RAID array configuration and if so; what
up- or downsides are there and what setup would be best?

Some basic system specs;

Athlon 64 X2 4200+ on DFI Lanparty UT NF4, 2 x 1GB Buffalo DDR400, GeForce
7900GT, Win XP Pro Corporate.

TIA

Peter

old man

Ideally drives should be the same the same, but usually it doesn't matter
(with caveats)

Perhaps one should ask why you are considering raid and what you hope to
achieve with this?

news:b6c2a$46e94103$53567ab0$(E-Mail Removed) bel.net...
> Hello,
>
> maybe a newbie question, but I have no experience with RAID configurations
> at all.
>
> I own 2 WD SATA 150 harddisks, one is the Caviar SE16 400GB model
> WD4000KD, the other is the Caviar RE2 400GB model WD4000YR, optimized for
> RAID/server arrays. Both have 16MB cache, there are some very small
> differences in specifications, and only one of two supports NCQ, the RE2
> model.
>
> I contacted WD technical support, but all I got was a list of FAQ that
> didnt answer my question, which is;
>
> Can I use the 2 drives combined in RAID array configuration and if so;
> what up- or downsides are there and what setup would be best?
>
> Some basic system specs;
>
> Athlon 64 X2 4200+ on DFI Lanparty UT NF4, 2 x 1GB Buffalo DDR400,
> GeForce 7900GT, Win XP Pro Corporate.
>
> TIA
>
> Peter

Peter

"old man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:a7dGi.4475$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ideally drives should be the same the same, but usually it doesn't matter
> (with caveats)
>
> Perhaps one should ask why you are considering raid and what you hope to
> achieve with this?

Thanx for answering.

The WD4000YR is meant as a serverharddisk in RAID configuration, as single
disk in a desktop PC it can cause errors and system hang ups, I only found
that out after I had already bought it., but the main reason why I got it in
the first place and now consider RAID is simple;

I almost lost all data from one of my drives, one that's only about six
months old, I was able to recover most of the files and fix the corrupted
drive but I dont trust it anymore and will try RMA the thing (nope I didnt
buy it on the corner, it's a known brand that used to be good but s*cks now,
maybe because last year it's been acquired by another known brand LOL).

I want to use a mirrored RAID config so in case one drive fails I always
have a back up drive. I already had the SE16 WD and tried get a second one
but that particular version wasn't available anymore. the WD RE2 400GB came
highly recommended so I bought that one instead and was just wondering if I
could use both for a RAID setup.

> "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:b6c2a$46e94103$53567ab0$(E-Mail Removed) bel.net...
>> Hello,
>>
>> maybe a newbie question, but I have no experience with RAID
>> configurations at all.
>>
>> I own 2 WD SATA 150 harddisks, one is the Caviar SE16 400GB model
>> WD4000KD, the other is the Caviar RE2 400GB model WD4000YR, optimized for
>> RAID/server arrays. Both have 16MB cache, there are some very small
>> differences in specifications, and only one of two supports NCQ, the RE2
>> model.
>>
>> I contacted WD technical support, but all I got was a list of FAQ that
>> didnt answer my question, which is;
>>
>> Can I use the 2 drives combined in RAID array configuration and if so;
>> what up- or downsides are there and what setup would be best?
>>
>> Some basic system specs;
>>
>> Athlon 64 X2 4200+ on DFI Lanparty UT NF4, 2 x 1GB Buffalo DDR400,
>> GeForce 7900GT, Win XP Pro Corporate.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Peter

old man

I dont know the specs of the WD4000YR or the reason for the apparent probs
if not installed in raid config - maybe something to do with its cache?
If you use hd's of a different size in mirror config you will only have
available the size of the smallest hd - yours are the same size.

A mirror setup is not a total solution for data integrity, you should still
backup
A problem can still be mirrored across both drives.

Baring in mind the apparent probs with the WD4000YR you might be best
advised to email WD tech to see if there is any possibility of conflicts

news:752ff$46e983be$53567ab0$(E-Mail Removed) el.net...

> "old man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:a7dGi.4475$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ideally drives should be the same the same, but usually it doesn't matter
>> (with caveats)
>>
>> Perhaps one should ask why you are considering raid and what you hope to
>> achieve with this?

> Thanx for answering.
>
> The WD4000YR is meant as a serverharddisk in RAID configuration, as single
> disk in a desktop PC it can cause errors and system hang ups, I only found
> that out after I had already bought it., but the main reason why I got it
> in the first place and now consider RAID is simple;
>
> I almost lost all data from one of my drives, one that's only about six
> months old, I was able to recover most of the files and fix the corrupted
> drive but I dont trust it anymore and will try RMA the thing (nope I didnt
> buy it on the corner, it's a known brand that used to be good but s*cks
> now, maybe because last year it's been acquired by another known brand
> LOL).
>
> I want to use a mirrored RAID config so in case one drive fails I always
> have a back up drive. I already had the SE16 WD and tried get a second
> one but that particular version wasn't available anymore. the WD RE2 400GB
> came highly recommended so I bought that one instead and was just
> wondering if I could use both for a RAID setup.
>>
>> "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:b6c2a$46e94103$53567ab0$(E-Mail Removed) bel.net...
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> maybe a newbie question, but I have no experience with RAID
>>> configurations at all.
>>>
>>> I own 2 WD SATA 150 harddisks, one is the Caviar SE16 400GB model
>>> WD4000KD, the other is the Caviar RE2 400GB model WD4000YR, optimized
>>> for RAID/server arrays. Both have 16MB cache, there are some very small
>>> differences in specifications, and only one of two supports NCQ, the RE2
>>> model.
>>>
>>> I contacted WD technical support, but all I got was a list of FAQ that
>>> didnt answer my question, which is;
>>>
>>> Can I use the 2 drives combined in RAID array configuration and if so;
>>> what up- or downsides are there and what setup would be best?
>>>
>>> Some basic system specs;
>>>
>>> Athlon 64 X2 4200+ on DFI Lanparty UT NF4, 2 x 1GB Buffalo DDR400,
>>> GeForce 7900GT, Win XP Pro Corporate.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Peter

Peter

"old man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BxmGi.447$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I dont know the specs of the WD4000YR or the reason for the apparent probs
>if not installed in raid config - maybe something to do with its cache?
> If you use hd's of a different size in mirror config you will only have
> available the size of the smallest hd - yours are the same size.
>
> A mirror setup is not a total solution for data integrity, you should
> still backup
> A problem can still be mirrored across both drives.
>
> Baring in mind the apparent probs with the WD4000YR you might be best
> advised to email WD tech to see if there is any possibility of conflicts

Thanx old man, the most important difference between the 2 drives is that
the RE2 has a shorter error recovery time (TLER) than a normal desktop drive
would have, because it's meant to be in RAID array. I will try contact WD
again, meantime I'm open for any reliable alternatives to safely store data
for a longer period of time....