Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Erase a VPN 3005 Concentrator

Erase a VPN 3005 Concentrator

Corbin O'Reilly

Hello. I was given a used VPN 3005 concentrator. No one knows what the
password is to log into Admin console. I would like to wipe the
configuration and setup the unit from scratch. How can I accomplish this? I
would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Bjarke Andersen

"Corbin O'Reilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> crashed Echelon writing
newsmaGi.63941$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hello. I was given a used VPN 3005 concentrator. No one knows what the
> password is to log into Admin console. I would like to wipe the
> configuration and setup the unit from scratch. How can I accomplish
> this? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Seems like you are our of luck

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...s_password_rec
overy09186a008009434f.shtml

--
Bjarke Andersen

Trendkill

On Sep 13, 8:50 am, "Corbin O'Reilly" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hello. I was given a used VPN 3005 concentrator. No one knows what the
> password is to log into Admin console. I would like to wipe the
> configuration and setup the unit from scratch. How can I accomplish this? I
> would appreciate any help. Thanks.

This link will help you reset the admin passwords to default, which
will then allow you to do whatever you want.

http://www-tss.cisco.com/eservice/co...d_VPN_3000.htm

Corbin O'Reilly

Trendkill, that is what I needed. Thanks for the quick response.

"Trendkill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Sep 13, 8:50 am, "Corbin O'Reilly" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Hello. I was given a used VPN 3005 concentrator. No one knows what the
>> password is to log into Admin console. I would like to wipe the
>> configuration and setup the unit from scratch. How can I accomplish this?
>> would appreciate any help. Thanks.

> This link will help you reset the admin passwords to default, which
> will then allow you to do whatever you want.
>
> http://www-tss.cisco.com/eservice/co...d_VPN_3000.htm

Rod Dorman

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
Trendkill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sep 13, 8:50 am, "Corbin O'Reilly" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>> Hello. I was given a used VPN 3005 concentrator. No one knows what the
>> password is to log into Admin console. I would like to wipe the
>> configuration and setup the unit from scratch. How can I accomplish this? I
>> would appreciate any help. Thanks.

>This link will help you reset the admin passwords to default, which
>will then allow you to do whatever you want.
>
>http://www-tss.cisco.com/eservice/co...d_VPN_3000.htm

Hmmm... it makes no mention about what happens to the current
configuration.

Does anyone know if it is erased or if it remains intact?

--
-- Rod --
rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

Trendkill

On Sep 16, 2:03 pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Rod Dorman) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
>
> Trendkill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On Sep 13, 8:50 am, "Corbin O'Reilly" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >wrote:
> >> Hello. I was given a used VPN 3005 concentrator. No one knows what the
> >> password is to log into Admin console. I would like to wipe the
> >> configuration and setup the unit from scratch. How can I accomplish this? I
> >> would appreciate any help. Thanks.

> >This link will help you reset the admin passwords to default, which
> >will then allow you to do whatever you want.

> >http://www-tss.cisco.com/eservice/co...ties/password_...

> Hmmm... it makes no mention about what happens to the current
> configuration.
>
> Does anyone know if it is erased or if it remains intact?
>
> --
> -- Rod --
> rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

I believe it does not (wipe its config) if its anything like a router
or switch, in which case I know it does not. Either way, always a
good practice to backup the config if you have access, or pull it via
snmp if you don't have access but know the snmp strings. I have never
seen a device kill its config without explicitly being told to, or
asking you if you are sure first. Hope this helps.