Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Uh.. How to search a specific folder?

Uh.. How to search a specific folder?

Mike J.S.

How the hell do you search a specific folder (and all subfolders) in WinXP?
It's driving me nuts how dumbed-down this OS is, and how you can ONLY search
"All Files and Folders" or "Documents" or "Pictures", etc.

I want to search for specific files in a specific folder. I've asked 3
people already and no one knows how. Nor can they understand why it's so
unnecessarily complicated to begin with.

Indexing is OFF. Just a plain, normal, real-time search.

Thanks.

Bill

Open Windows Explorer. Right click on the folder or subfolder you want to
search. The search box will open with the correct folder selected to search
in. Easy.

BullDawg

"Mike J.S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How the hell do you search a specific folder (and all subfolders) in
> WinXP? It's driving me nuts how dumbed-down this OS is, and how you can
> ONLY search "All Files and Folders" or "Documents" or "Pictures", etc.
>
> I want to search for specific files in a specific folder. I've asked 3
> people already and no one knows how. Nor can they understand why it's so
> unnecessarily complicated to begin with.
>
> Indexing is OFF. Just a plain, normal, real-time search.
>
> Thanks.

Stefan Pendl

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:34:13 +0900, "Bill"
<eschol@remove_this.shinbiro.com> wrote:

>Open Windows Explorer. Right click on the folder or subfolder you want to
>search. The search box will open with the correct folder selected to search
>in. Easy.

If the search is already open, select Browse... under Search in:

---
Stefan Pendl

Theo

It's beyond my comprehension as to why anyone thinks it's
complicated to search a desired folder.

1. Open Windows Explorer
2. Find the Folder you want in the Tree in the Left panel
3. Click on the desired Folder once to highlight it
4. Click on the <Search> button in the Toolbar
5. Choose the search option you desire in the Left panel

and proceed from there. Hopefully you are able to navigate
further.

I would also guess that you are in the wrong Forum. This
group is for 64-bit Windows, not the standard XP Home/Pro.

Mike J.S. wrote:
> How the hell do you search a specific folder (and all subfolders) in WinXP?
> It's driving me nuts how dumbed-down this OS is, and how you can ONLY search
> "All Files and Folders" or "Documents" or "Pictures", etc.
>
> I want to search for specific files in a specific folder. I've asked 3
> people already and no one knows how. Nor can they understand why it's so
> unnecessarily complicated to begin with.
>
> Indexing is OFF. Just a plain, normal, real-time search.
>
> Thanks.

HeyBub

Mike J.S. wrote:
> How the hell do you search a specific folder (and all subfolders) in
> WinXP? It's driving me nuts how dumbed-down this OS is, and how you
> can ONLY search "All Files and Folders" or "Documents" or "Pictures",
> etc.
> I want to search for specific files in a specific folder. I've asked 3
> people already and no one knows how. Nor can they understand why it's
> so unnecessarily complicated to begin with.

Agent Ransack?

Unknown

Why beyond your comprehension. Do you think newbies know as much as you?
"Theo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's beyond my comprehension as to why anyone thinks it's complicated to
> search a desired folder.
>
> 1. Open Windows Explorer
> 2. Find the Folder you want in the Tree in the Left panel
> 3. Click on the desired Folder once to highlight it
> 4. Click on the <Search> button in the Toolbar
> 5. Choose the search option you desire in the Left panel
>
> and proceed from there. Hopefully you are able to navigate further.
>
> I would also guess that you are in the wrong Forum. This group is for
> 64-bit Windows, not the standard XP Home/Pro.
>

> Mike J.S. wrote:
>> How the hell do you search a specific folder (and all subfolders) in
>> WinXP? It's driving me nuts how dumbed-down this OS is, and how you can
>> ONLY search "All Files and Folders" or "Documents" or "Pictures", etc.
>>
>> I want to search for specific files in a specific folder. I've asked 3
>> people already and no one knows how. Nor can they understand why it's so
>> unnecessarily complicated to begin with.
>>
>> Indexing is OFF. Just a plain, normal, real-time search.
>>
>> Thanks.

Bruce Chambers

Mike J.S. wrote:
> How the hell do you search a specific folder (and all subfolders) in WinXP?
> It's driving me nuts how dumbed-down this OS is, and how you can ONLY search
> "All Files and Folders" or "Documents" or "Pictures", etc.
>
> I want to search for specific files in a specific folder. I've asked 3
> people already and no one knows how. Nor can they understand why it's so
> unnecessarily complicated to begin with.

It's not complicated, and it's done in the same way it was done in
earlier versions of Windows. In Windows Explorer, simply right-click on
the target folder and select "Search." (Older versions of Windows used
"Find," but it's the same, otherwise.)

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Bruce Chambers

Unknown wrote:
> Why beyond your comprehension. Do you think newbies know as much as you?

It's not at all likely we're dealing with a newbie. By calling WinXP
"dumbed-down" the OP made it clear that he considered himself (a) auser
with above average knowledgeable and expertise (wrongly, as it turned
out), and (b) very familiar with other Windows versions.

To make it more ironic, WinXP's Search feature really hasn't changed
all that much from that of its predecessor, Win2K; nor does it differ
horribly from that of Win98. There have been some minor cosmetic
changes and what Microsoft would call "refinements," perhaps, but no
substantive changes.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Unknown

I try to make it a point to never assume what the level of experience or
intelligence is, of any poster. Perhaps he/she is merely frustrated.
"Bruce Chambers" <(E-Mail Removed)3t> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Unknown wrote:
>> Why beyond your comprehension. Do you think newbies know as much as you?
>>

> It's not at all likely we're dealing with a newbie. By calling WinXP
> "dumbed-down" the OP made it clear that he considered himself (a) auser
> with above average knowledgeable and expertise (wrongly, as it turned
> out), and (b) very familiar with other Windows versions.
>
> To make it more ironic, WinXP's Search feature really hasn't changed all
> that much from that of its predecessor, Win2K; nor does it differ horribly
> from that of Win98. There have been some minor cosmetic changes and what
> Microsoft would call "refinements," perhaps, but no substantive changes.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrand
> Russell

Bob I

Bruce Chambers wrote:

> Unknown wrote:
>
>> Why beyond your comprehension. Do you think newbies know as much as you?
>>

> It's not at all likely we're dealing with a newbie. By calling
> WinXP "dumbed-down" the OP made it clear that he considered himself (a)
> auser with above average knowledgeable and expertise (wrongly, as it
> turned out), and (b) very familiar with other Windows versions.
>
> To make it more ironic, WinXP's Search feature really hasn't changed
> all that much from that of its predecessor, Win2K; nor does it differ
> horribly from that of Win98. There have been some minor cosmetic
> changes and what Microsoft would call "refinements," perhaps, but no
> substantive changes.

'bout the only "new" thing is the "extension" awareness issue. That can
be a real pain till you know about it.