Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > maximizing life of laptop battery

maximizing life of laptop battery

Fulio Open

I am just told that it is bad for your battery if you plug it in while
working on your laptop and over charging it. This will decrease the
life of the battery dramatically. Only charge it when you are not
using it and when the battery is low. When you are using it, don't
charge the battery.

Is this true? I always did the opposite. My last laptop suddenly
blacked out, and I thought that the hard drive was gone. But it might
be due to the death of the battery. Thanks for information.

Fulio Pen

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Fulio Open wrote:
> I am just told that it is bad for your battery if you plug it in while
> working on your laptop and over charging it. This will decrease the
> life of the battery dramatically. Only charge it when you are not
> using it and when the battery is low. When you are using it, don't
> charge the battery.
>
> Is this true? I always did the opposite. My last laptop suddenly
> blacked out, and I thought that the hard drive was gone. But it might
> be due to the death of the battery. Thanks for information.

I think you'll find the type of battery that whoever told you that is
thinking of an older style of battery. The newer types don't have
"memory" in the same way as the older ones. And the chargers detect when
the battery is charged and back down to a "trickle" charge when it's needed.

Fred

"Fulio Open" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>I am just told that it is bad for your battery if you plug it in while
> working on your laptop and over charging it. This will decrease the
> life of the battery dramatically. Only charge it when you are not
> using it and when the battery is low. When you are using it, don't
> charge the battery.
>
> Is this true? I always did the opposite. My last laptop suddenly
> blacked out, and I thought that the hard drive was gone. But it might
> be due to the death of the battery. Thanks for information.
>
> Fulio Pen

Different types of batteries behave differently. Read manufacturers
recommendations.