Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Printer consumables

Printer consumables

philc

Am looking to buy my first printer, and want to research consumable
costs, as they seem to vary widely. what are the cheapest consumables
suppliers in the UK?
Also are there any comparison tables showing cost per print for a wide
range of printers (ink jet and die-sub)?
I dont intend on spending more than 100, not sure if i want ink-jet
or die-sub. i understand i'll be more limited on size with die-sub,
but as i may not be using it frequently i may - from what i've read -
waste ink on an ink-jet by using them infrequently. I am also
surprised that the costs from what ive seen so far are approx 3-4x the
cost of photobox for 6x4's.

TIA

Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Sep 12, 8:26 am, philc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Am looking to buy my first printer, and want to research consumable
> costs, as they seem to vary widely. what are the cheapest consumables
> suppliers in the UK?
> Also are there any comparison tables showing cost per print for a wide
> range of printers (ink jet and die-sub)?
> I dont intend on spending more than 100, not sure if i want ink-jet
> or die-sub. i understand i'll be more limited on size with die-sub,
> but as i may not be using it frequently i may - from what i've read -
> waste ink on an ink-jet by using them infrequently. I am also
> surprised that the costs from what ive seen so far are approx 3-4x the
> cost of photobox for 6x4's.
>
> TIA

Many PC magazines, in their product reviews and comparisions, list ink
costs on printers. Also, Consumer Reports in their ratings of
printers, usually includes this info.

ray

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 06:26:20 -0700, philc wrote:

> Am looking to buy my first printer, and want to research consumable
> costs, as they seem to vary widely. what are the cheapest consumables
> suppliers in the UK?

The new Kodak all-in-one units report a consummables cost 1/2 the
competition.

> Also are there any comparison tables showing cost per print for a wide
> range of printers (ink jet and die-sub)?
> I dont intend on spending more than £100, not sure if i want ink-jet
> or die-sub. i understand i'll be more limited on size with die-sub,
> but as i may not be using it frequently i may - from what i've read -
> waste ink on an ink-jet by using them infrequently. I am also
> surprised that the costs from what ive seen so far are approx 3-4x the
> cost of photobox for 6x4's.
>
> TIA

Rich

On Sep 12, 9:26 am, philc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Am looking to buy my first printer, and want to research consumable
> costs, as they seem to vary widely. what are the cheapest consumables
> suppliers in the UK?
> Also are there any comparison tables showing cost per print for a wide
> range of printers (ink jet and die-sub)?
> I dont intend on spending more than 100, not sure if i want ink-jet
> or die-sub. i understand i'll be more limited on size with die-sub,
> but as i may not be using it frequently i may - from what i've read -
> waste ink on an ink-jet by using them infrequently. I am also
> surprised that the costs from what ive seen so far are approx 3-4x the
> cost of photobox for 6x4's.
>
> TIA

Average cost of print from a mid-priced inkjet (for the ink) is around
$ 2.50- $ 3.00 per image for an 8 x 10. I've seen cartidges run out
after doing 15 sheets.
The paper cost is about $1.00 sheet. So, when there are printers out
there who charge $2.00 each for printing an 8 x 10. So home printing
runs almost double that of getting it done by an outside source.

ray

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:46:16 -0700, Rich wrote:

> On Sep 12, 9:26 am, philc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Am looking to buy my first printer, and want to research consumable
>> costs, as they seem to vary widely. what are the cheapest consumables
>> suppliers in the UK?
>> Also are there any comparison tables showing cost per print for a wide
>> range of printers (ink jet and die-sub)?
>> I dont intend on spending more than £100, not sure if i want ink-jet
>> or die-sub. i understand i'll be more limited on size with die-sub,
>> but as i may not be using it frequently i may - from what i've read -
>> waste ink on an ink-jet by using them infrequently. I am also
>> surprised that the costs from what ive seen so far are approx 3-4x the
>> cost of photobox for 6x4's.
>>
>> TIA

> Average cost of print from a mid-priced inkjet (for the ink) is around
> $ 2.50- $ 3.00 per image for an 8 x 10. I've seen cartidges run out
> after doing 15 sheets.
> The paper cost is about $1.00 sheet. So, when there are printers out
> there who charge $2.00 each for printing an 8 x 10. So home printing
> runs almost double that of getting it done by an outside source.

There is also no reason to believe that you can do a better job with a
$300 inkjet printer that the printing services can do with a machine which
cost several thousand dollars.

Ron Hunter

philc wrote:
> Am looking to buy my first printer, and want to research consumable
> costs, as they seem to vary widely. what are the cheapest consumables
> suppliers in the UK?
> Also are there any comparison tables showing cost per print for a wide
> range of printers (ink jet and die-sub)?
> I dont intend on spending more than 100, not sure if i want ink-jet
> or die-sub. i understand i'll be more limited on size with die-sub,
> but as i may not be using it frequently i may - from what i've read -
> waste ink on an ink-jet by using them infrequently. I am also
> surprised that the costs from what ive seen so far are approx 3-4x the
> cost of photobox for 6x4's.
>
> TIA

AT the moment, the lowest cost for consumables is held by the new Kodak
printers. The inks are pigment inks, which will probably last as long
as any prints you buy at a photoprinter.

Ron Hunter

ray wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:46:16 -0700, Rich wrote:
>
>> On Sep 12, 9:26 am, philc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Am looking to buy my first printer, and want to research consumable
>>> costs, as they seem to vary widely. what are the cheapest consumables
>>> suppliers in the UK?
>>> Also are there any comparison tables showing cost per print for a wide
>>> range of printers (ink jet and die-sub)?
>>> I dont intend on spending more than £100, not sure if i want ink-jet
>>> or die-sub. i understand i'll be more limited on size with die-sub,
>>> but as i may not be using it frequently i may - from what i've read -
>>> waste ink on an ink-jet by using them infrequently. I am also
>>> surprised that the costs from what ive seen so far are approx 3-4x the
>>> cost of photobox for 6x4's.
>>>
>>> TIA

>> Average cost of print from a mid-priced inkjet (for the ink) is around
>> $ 2.50- $ 3.00 per image for an 8 x 10. I've seen cartidges run out
>> after doing 15 sheets.
>> The paper cost is about $1.00 sheet. So, when there are printers out
>> there who charge $2.00 each for printing an 8 x 10. So home printing
>> runs almost double that of getting it done by an outside source.

> There is also no reason to believe that you can do a better job with a
> $300 inkjet printer that the printing services can do with a machine which
> cost several thousand dollars.

True, but I can do it faster, and with less travel time.

Paul J Gans

Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>ray wrote:

>>> Average cost of print from a mid-priced inkjet (for the ink) is around
>>> $ 2.50- $ 3.00 per image for an 8 x 10. I've seen cartidges run out
>>> after doing 15 sheets.
>>> The paper cost is about $1.00 sheet. So, when there are printers out
>>> there who charge $2.00 each for printing an 8 x 10. So home printing
>>> runs almost double that of getting it done by an outside source.

>> There is also no reason to believe that you can do a better job with a
>> $300 inkjet printer that the printing services can do with a machine which
>> cost several thousand dollars.
>>

>True, but I can do it faster, and with less travel time.

It seems to me that printer manufacturers have gotten onto
the wrong side of the price/demand curve. I know many folks
who have totally given up on printing their own photos. Instead
they take them to Walmart or wherever.

Reason? Printing at home is too expensive. It may be too
late to recapture that market, but I'd think that halving the
cost of the ink would *more* than double the number of cartridges
sold due both to more printing per person and more people
printing.

--
--- Paul J. Gans

Olin K. McDaniel

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 01:37:54 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>ray wrote:

>>> There is also no reason to believe that you can do a better job with a
>>> $300 inkjet printer that the printing services can do with a machine which
>>> cost several thousand dollars.
>>>

>>True, but I can do it faster, and with less travel time.

>It seems to me that printer manufacturers have gotten onto
>the wrong side of the price/demand curve. I know many folks
>who have totally given up on printing their own photos. Instead
>they take them to Walmart or wherever.
>
>Reason? Printing at home is too expensive. It may be too
>late to recapture that market, but I'd think that halving the
>cost of the ink would *more* than double the number of cartridges
>sold due both to more printing per person and more people
>printing.
>
>--
> --- Paul J. Gans

I'd like to offer another solution to this movement away from home
printing. If the printer manufacturers would sell the printers at a
price to insure a fair profit on them ALONE and stop trying to make
all their profit on the cartridges at their high prices and efforts to
thwart refilling, more people would do their printing at home. That
was the way things were a few years ago, but someone decided to go for
a totally different marketing strategy. If it is costing them sales
dollars now - you suppose they will figure out why? And go back to
what used to work? I'm not holding my breath.

Olin McDaniel

To reply by email, please remove "abcd" from Return address
"Ignorance is treatable, Stupidity is incurable. Sometimes
the difference is hardly distinguishable, however."

Bob Williams

Paul J Gans wrote:
> Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> ray wrote:

>>> There is also no reason to believe that you can do a better job with a
>>> $300 inkjet printer that the printing services can do with a machine which
>>> cost several thousand dollars.
>>>

>> True, but I can do it faster, and with less travel time.

> It seems to me that printer manufacturers have gotten onto
> the wrong side of the price/demand curve. I know many folks
> who have totally given up on printing their own photos. Instead
> they take them to Walmart or wherever.
>
> Reason? Printing at home is too expensive. It may be too
> late to recapture that market, but I'd think that halving the
> cost of the ink would *more* than double the number of cartridges
> sold due both to more printing per person and more people
> printing.

I agree with you, Paul.
I buy generic ink cartridges for my Canon Pixma iP3000 for about 35% the
cost of new cartridges. I print lots of 8x10s and don't give cost a
second thought. Despite a lot of pooh-poohing of generic inks in
magazines, by direct A-B comparisons, I have found very little if any
difference between Generic and OEM inks. The problem is that generics
are not available for most printers, especially those using pigment
based inks. For my Super Shots, I have them printed at Costco ........
mainly for increased longevity.
Bob Williams