Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Printer consumables

Printer consumables

Ron Hunter

Paul J Gans wrote:
> Bob Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Paul J Gans wrote:

>>> It seems to me that printer manufacturers have gotten onto
>>> the wrong side of the price/demand curve. I know many folks
>>> who have totally given up on printing their own photos. Instead
>>> they take them to Walmart or wherever.
>>>
>>> Reason? Printing at home is too expensive. It may be too
>>> late to recapture that market, but I'd think that halving the
>>> cost of the ink would *more* than double the number of cartridges
>>> sold due both to more printing per person and more people
>>> printing.
>>>

>> I agree with you, Paul.
>> I buy generic ink cartridges for my Canon Pixma iP3000 for about 35% the
>> cost of new cartridges. I print lots of 8x10s and don't give cost a
>> second thought. Despite a lot of pooh-poohing of generic inks in
>> magazines, by direct A-B comparisons, I have found very little if any
>> difference between Generic and OEM inks. The problem is that generics
>> are not available for most printers, especially those using pigment
>> based inks. For my Super Shots, I have them printed at Costco ........
>> mainly for increased longevity.
>> Bob Williams

> I think this is a wise strategy, if you are getting satisfactory
> results from the off-brand ink. Most printers are so cheap that
> if they jam fron off-brand ink, one can simply throw them away
> and buy a new one -- *with* cartridges, almost as cheaply as
> the cost of branded cartriges alone.
>
> What tends to happen though is that a company's focus shifts.
> What business is Apple in? Selling computer hardware? Software,
> Iphones, Ipods, music?
>
> It seems clear that what used to be printer companies (or printer
> divisions of larger companies) are now INK manufacturers who sell
> printers as a sideline to increase consumption of their inks. I
> wonder about the long-term viability of this strategy. It has
> certainly alienated *me*, for one.

Well, some companies have been using that philosophy for many years,
with continued success.

ray

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 18:37:33 +0000, philc wrote:

> On Sep 13, 3:45 pm, John Passaneau <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote innews:(E-Mail Removed) om:

>> snip>>>>>> TIA

>> > I am sure that is exactly what Kodak is hoping will happen. Remains
>> > to be seen if they are right. I have looked at their printers, and
>> > while they are a bit more expensive, they seem well built, if a bit
>> > larger than I like. Not really in the market for a new printer, but
>> > if I were, they would go on the short list.
>> > But cost savings is NOT one of the reasons for printing one's own
>> > pictures. There are several:
>> > 1. Immediate results.
>> > 2. Flexible, per picture adjustments
>> > 3. Privacy.
>> > 4. Control of quality, paper choice, etc.

>> > I am sure there are many more, but cost savings aren't among them.

>> Hi all:
>> I too have looked at the Kodak printers and my problem with then is that
>> they only do 4x6 inch prints or they are "all in ones". I don't need or
>> want an all in one printer. I want a printer that will do an 8.5x11 inch
>> or slightly bigger and do that very well. I seldom use an outside
>> printer, as I'm fussy about how my prints look. There is a local photo
>> shop that does large format inkjets in house and I use them for 11x14 and
>> bigger prints. But even then they do a small scale proof for me before I
>> commit to the big finish print. I've been printing color photograph in my
>> own darkroom since 1970 and I know what I want. Right now I'm using a
>> dirt cheap Epson R200 with a custom profile and Qimage printing software
>> and I'm getting some of the best looking prints I've ever made, inkjet or
>> wet darkroom. I do not think that Wal-Mart could give me the quality of
>> print that I want. I do wish Kodak well and hope that the other printer
>> makers take up the idea of fairly pricing ink but I'm not holding my
>> breath.
>>
>> John Passaneau

> called into comets on the way home - they had the epson 240 for £70 a
> further 10% when ordering on-line. nearly £150 on amazon. the also
> had the paper for £23 for 150 sheets. quite surprised and placed my
> order.

Cool. I've purchased several printers and scanners from the Epson online
store.

Paul J Gans

Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Paul J Gans wrote:
>> Bob Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> I agree with you, Paul.
>>> I buy generic ink cartridges for my Canon Pixma iP3000 for about 35% the
>>> cost of new cartridges. I print lots of 8x10s and don't give cost a
>>> second thought. Despite a lot of pooh-poohing of generic inks in
>>> magazines, by direct A-B comparisons, I have found very little if any
>>> difference between Generic and OEM inks. The problem is that generics
>>> are not available for most printers, especially those using pigment
>>> based inks. For my Super Shots, I have them printed at Costco ........
>>> mainly for increased longevity.
>>> Bob Williams

>> I think this is a wise strategy, if you are getting satisfactory
>> results from the off-brand ink. Most printers are so cheap that
>> if they jam fron off-brand ink, one can simply throw them away
>> and buy a new one -- *with* cartridges, almost as cheaply as
>> the cost of branded cartriges alone.
>>
>> What tends to happen though is that a company's focus shifts.
>> What business is Apple in? Selling computer hardware? Software,
>> Iphones, Ipods, music?
>>
>> It seems clear that what used to be printer companies (or printer
>> divisions of larger companies) are now INK manufacturers who sell
>> printers as a sideline to increase consumption of their inks. I
>> wonder about the long-term viability of this strategy. It has
>> certainly alienated *me*, for one.
>>

>Well, some companies have been using that philosophy for many years,
>with continued success.

Very true. However, as I said in my first post on this topic,
the companies might make *more* money if they cut the ink price.

--
--- Paul J. Gans

Ron Hunter

Paul J Gans wrote:
> Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Paul J Gans wrote:

>>> I think this is a wise strategy, if you are getting satisfactory
>>> results from the off-brand ink. Most printers are so cheap that
>>> if they jam fron off-brand ink, one can simply throw them away
>>> and buy a new one -- *with* cartridges, almost as cheaply as
>>> the cost of branded cartriges alone.
>>>
>>> What tends to happen though is that a company's focus shifts.
>>> What business is Apple in? Selling computer hardware? Software,
>>> Iphones, Ipods, music?
>>>
>>> It seems clear that what used to be printer companies (or printer
>>> divisions of larger companies) are now INK manufacturers who sell
>>> printers as a sideline to increase consumption of their inks. I
>>> wonder about the long-term viability of this strategy. It has
>>> certainly alienated *me*, for one.
>>>

>> Well, some companies have been using that philosophy for many years,
>> with continued success.

> Very true. However, as I said in my first post on this topic,
> the companies might make *more* money if they cut the ink price.

How? Unless the price of ink is seriously depressing sales (I doubt
it), reducing the price would only reduce the margin, resulting in lower
profit.