Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Question on hardware for own SIP server and/or E.164 records

Question on hardware for own SIP server and/or E.164 records

Anonymous

Hi

Anyone advise, please, the type of VoIP hardware required (ATA or desk
phone - Grandstream and/or Cisco, etc), which I can plug into my BTBB
Hub and use to setup a SIP address at my own domain for receipt of SIP
calls and/or E.164 calls?

Many thanks

Tim

Anonymous wrote:
> Hi
>
> Anyone advise, please, the type of VoIP hardware required (ATA or desk
> phone - Grandstream and/or Cisco, etc), which I can plug into my BTBB
> Hub and use to setup a SIP address at my own domain for receipt of SIP
> calls and/or E.164 calls?

You need to run a SIP Registrar server for your domain.

There are several options available - SER, asterisk, SIPx (from sip
foundary), pbxnsip (commercial)

Basically you install the software on a server with a fixed IP, set it
up, point the DNS records for the domain to the server's IP. Away you go.

If you want to do it for just one phone, you could just put the phone on
a public IP and have people directly call the phone. This isn't 100%
ideal, but will work.

Tim

davidlear

its all very well registering landline number to a sipgate or fwd
number via e164.org, but how does one register to other servers such as
'PBXware' (http://uk44.telenosis.co.uk) or 'PBXware'
(http://blarneyphone.com) ? I just can't see how to do that !

Any one can shed light on that ?

View this thread: http://www.wirelessforums.org/showthread.php?t=28856
http://www.wirelessforums.org

alexd

davidlear wrote:

> its all very well registering landline number to a sipgate or fwd
> number via e164.org, but how does one register to other servers such as
> 'PBXware' (http://uk44.telenosis.co.uk) or 'PBXware'
> (http://blarneyphone.com) ? I just can't see how to do that !

Alas those links you've provider offer absolutely no clue whatsoever as to
what those things are. If you supply a little more information, you may get
some useful responses.

> Any one can shed light on that ?

Have you read https://www.e164.org/wiki/NumberVerification? Are 'telenosis'
and 'blarneyphone' compatible with SIP? You might have to ask them the
answer to that. Once you confirm that they're SIP capable, and willing to
accept SIP calls from outside of their network, follow the number
verification procedure and you should be sorted.

15:11:01 up 2 days, 3:48, 1 user, load average: 0.01, 0.03, 0.04
50,000 watts of funking power

Paul Hayes

davidlear wrote:
> its all very well registering landline number to a sipgate or fwd
> number via e164.org, but how does one register to other servers such as
> 'PBXware' (http://uk44.telenosis.co.uk) or 'PBXware'
> (http://blarneyphone.com) ? I just can't see how to do that !
>
> Any one can shed light on that ?

> View this thread: http://www.wirelessforums.org/showthread.php?t=28856
> http://www.wirelessforums.org

Are you trying to ask how to add an ENUM entry for a number on a VoIP
PBX (i.e. Bicom PBXware)?

It's no different to with Sipgate or anywhere else, Sipgate et al are
just hosted PBX systems. Any SIP device has a SIP URI. If your PBXware
PBX is on an IP address 123.123.123.123 and you have an account on there
called "paul", then the URI (and also the ENUM entry) would be
paul@123.123.123.123. To make it more elegant, add a DNS SRV entry for
123.123.123.123 to map to "mydomain.com" or whatever, for a domain you
own.

cheers,
Paul.

--
Working Email:

paul-at-polog40-dot-co-dot-uk

David Lear

What I mean to say is that registering a number as an enum record is OK for
fwd and sipgate etc but my own servers name seems to be ignored as a valid
server, definetly you should be able to dial http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) I am
asking as to how e164.org validates a server, I wish mine to be registered.
Yes it is a sip server and asterisk based. And of curse thanks to al
suggestions so far

url:http://myreader.co.uk/msg/141710781.aspx