Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital Zoom question

Digital Zoom question

Ron Recer

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hello all.
> I bought a Casio Exilim 8 meg camera with a 3x optical and a 4x
> digital zoom.
> Focus is perfect in the optical area, but when I go into the digital
> zoom area, the focus starts to slip at the lower end and is completely
> blurry at fully extended. Is that the norm for digital zooms in these
> tiny cameras?
> TIA,
> Ron

Digital zoom is nothing but marketing hype. Anything that digital zoom can
do you can do better in post processing with decent software. Turn off the
digital zoom.

Ron

ASAAR

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 20:23:14 GMT, Biddy's buddy Tech Man wrote:

> it only shows everyone that you are a blind following idiot that
> only knows how to parrot the urban legends started long ago by
> that huge squad we affectionately call the Self-Appointed
> Professional Idiots. SAPI for short.

Hmm, I'd think that you'd be a SAPIens member, since you're also a
member of SCISP, short for Self-Created Idiot Sock Puppets.

Tech Man

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 09:55:27 -0500, "Ron Recer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
>> Hello all.
>> I bought a Casio Exilim 8 meg camera with a 3x optical and a 4x
>> digital zoom.
>> Focus is perfect in the optical area, but when I go into the digital
>> zoom area, the focus starts to slip at the lower end and is completely
>> blurry at fully extended. Is that the norm for digital zooms in these
>> tiny cameras?
>> TIA,
>> Ron

>Digital zoom is nothing but marketing hype. Anything that digital zoom can
>do you can do better in post processing with decent software. Turn off the
>digital zoom.
>
>Ron

" If you think you can make a blanket claim about all digital zoom being useless
it only shows everyone that you are a blind following idiot that only knows how
to parrot the urban legends started long ago by that huge squad we
affectionately call the Self-Appointed Professional Idiots. SAPI for short. "

Please read the below, again, and with comprehension this time. Unless you are
devoid of that capability, then just know that you are 100% wrong. That too will
suffice. Or continue to announce to the world that you are a complete idiot.

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 20:23:14 GMT, Tech Man <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Until you know exactly how a camera is implementing any form of digital zoom,
>and it is very different from maker to maker and even model to model, you
>cannot, with any certainty, ever claim that digital-zoom is either useless or
>beneficial.
>
>It all depends on how it is implemented. In some cameras you actually can get
>more resolution from its digital zoom. In many others you won't loose detail but
>you wont' get anything better than what you can do in post processing.
>
>If your camera has RAW file capability then you won't be able to get any more
>detail out of any of the cameras' digital zoom modes than what you can do on
>your own by using the RAW data. IF, however, your camera only saves in JPG then
>there's a very good possibility that the digital zoom is being applied to the
>RAW data before JPG conversion. In that case you MIGHT be able to get more
>detail out of the camera's various digital zoom methods. It varies, as I said,
>from model to model. You will have to test this to see if your camera is one of
>them where digital zoom is beneficial. One of my cameras (jpg files only) shows
>a marked increase in detail by using the digital zoom compared to any method I
>have found to upsample the non-digital-zoom data to the same resolution. Another
>camera I have does not show any detail increase with digital zoom in its jpg
>files. But it does have RAW capability so I am able to accomplish the same
>detail recovery and upsampling in post processing to get the same benefit.
>
>If you think you can make a blanket claim about all digital zoom being useless
>it only shows everyone that you are a blind following idiot that only knows how
>to parrot the urban legends started long ago by that huge squad we
>affectionately call the Self-Appointed Professional Idiots. SAPI for short.

Somebody

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hello all.
> I bought a Casio Exilim 8 meg camera with a 3x optical and a 4x
> digital zoom.
> Focus is perfect in the optical area, but when I go into the digital
> zoom area, the focus starts to slip at the lower end and is completely
> blurry at fully extended. Is that the norm for digital zooms in these
> tiny cameras?
> TIA,
> Ron

Digital Zoom is ****. If you want to know what digital zoom is going to your
image. Load an optical zoom image in to Photoshop. Crop about 4/5ths of it
and then use the image resize option to enlarge what's left back up to an
8MP image. Only use the optical zoom. If you need more zoom than 3X and who
doesn't then you bought the wrong camera.

Somebody!

Ron Hunter

Ron Recer wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Hello all.
>> I bought a Casio Exilim 8 meg camera with a 3x optical and a 4x
>> digital zoom.
>> Focus is perfect in the optical area, but when I go into the digital
>> zoom area, the focus starts to slip at the lower end and is completely
>> blurry at fully extended. Is that the norm for digital zooms in these
>> tiny cameras?
>> TIA,
>> Ron

> Digital zoom is nothing but marketing hype. Anything that digital zoom can
> do you can do better in post processing with decent software. Turn off the
> digital zoom.
>
> Ron

HEY! I have used digital zoom as a sort of handy telescope. The human
brain can often make out what a distant object is even with the loss of
resolution imposed by digital zoom, but I don't actually take the
picture as the quality is way below what I expect from my camera. At
least I have found SOME use for the feature.

Randy Berbaum

"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> HEY! I have used digital zoom as a sort of handy telescope. The human
> brain can often make out what a distant object is even with the loss of
> resolution imposed by digital zoom, but I don't actually take the picture
> as the quality is way below what I expect from my camera. At least I have
> found SOME use for the feature.

Agreed. Using DZ as a sort of spotting scope works fine. But as a spotting
scope is used to point the main scope properly, DZ is best used only as a
tool for prepairing to take the main image. Now this is JMHO and for those
few who are of the opposite opinion, feel free to do so. My personal
experience shows, that for me, DZ is useless for my image capturing uses.

Personally I find that a crop/resize operation with a good editor in post
production yields a better final image than that done with digital zoom in
the camera. Look at it this way, the size and the complexity of the computer
processor in the camera is much less than the one in my laptop. Also if my
camera takes 30 sec or more to process each image I would be upset. But the
same crop/resize operation done on the laptop can take a min or so without
making me too upset. So the program and process used in the operation in the
laptop can be many many times more complex (and with probably more
acceptable results) than an in camera process of the same type.

JMHO

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Notes4theClueless

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 02:58:41 -0500, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ron Recer wrote:
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>> Hello all.
>>> I bought a Casio Exilim 8 meg camera with a 3x optical and a 4x
>>> digital zoom.
>>> Focus is perfect in the optical area, but when I go into the digital
>>> zoom area, the focus starts to slip at the lower end and is completely
>>> blurry at fully extended. Is that the norm for digital zooms in these
>>> tiny cameras?
>>> TIA,
>>> Ron

>> Digital zoom is nothing but marketing hype. Anything that digital zoom can
>> do you can do better in post processing with decent software. Turn off the
>> digital zoom.
>>
>> Ron
>>

>HEY! I have used digital zoom as a sort of handy telescope. The human
>brain can often make out what a distant object is even with the loss of
>resolution imposed by digital zoom, but I don't actually take the
>picture as the quality is way below what I expect from my camera. At
>least I have found SOME use for the feature.

How some you people ever managed to log onto the internet I'll never know. I bet
you had some 5 year old to help you.

You don't lose ANY resolution by using digital zoom. Most times you just don't
gain any. It depends on the camera. Sometimes there is an increase in
resolution. Though slight, it is measurable. It all depends on how digital zoom
is being implemented in that particular camera model.

ronnienospamholland@sbcglobal.net

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:17:15 GMT, Notes4theClueless
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 02:58:41 -0500, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Ron Recer wrote:
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

<snip>
>>HEY! I have used digital zoom as a sort of handy telescope. The human
>>brain can often make out what a distant object is even with the loss of
>>resolution imposed by digital zoom

>You don't lose ANY resolution by using digital zoom.

Boy,,,,,,,, That pretty much cleared it all up. I DO have a focus
problem ... cauze I can't use my digital zoom as a spotting scope. So
blurry that you can't distinguish anything at fully extended.
Thanks All.
Ron

Ron Hunter

Randy Berbaum wrote:
> "Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> HEY! I have used digital zoom as a sort of handy telescope. The human
>> brain can often make out what a distant object is even with the loss of
>> resolution imposed by digital zoom, but I don't actually take the picture
>> as the quality is way below what I expect from my camera. At least I have
>> found SOME use for the feature.

> Agreed. Using DZ as a sort of spotting scope works fine. But as a spotting
> scope is used to point the main scope properly, DZ is best used only as a
> tool for prepairing to take the main image. Now this is JMHO and for those
> few who are of the opposite opinion, feel free to do so. My personal
> experience shows, that for me, DZ is useless for my image capturing uses.
>
> Personally I find that a crop/resize operation with a good editor in post
> production yields a better final image than that done with digital zoom in
> the camera. Look at it this way, the size and the complexity of the computer
> processor in the camera is much less than the one in my laptop. Also if my
> camera takes 30 sec or more to process each image I would be upset. But the
> same crop/resize operation done on the laptop can take a min or so without
> making me too upset. So the program and process used in the operation in the
> laptop can be many many times more complex (and with probably more
> acceptable results) than an in camera process of the same type.
>
> JMHO
>
> Randy
>
> ==========
> Randy Berbaum
> Champaign, IL

Agreed. For image capture, DZ is pretty much a marketing ploy.
For others, who don't want to do post-processing, or don't know how, it
might be a useful 'crutch'.

Ron Hunter

Notes4theClueless wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 02:58:41 -0500, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Ron Recer wrote:
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>> Digital zoom is nothing but marketing hype. Anything that digital zoom can
>>> do you can do better in post processing with decent software. Turn off the
>>> digital zoom.
>>>
>>> Ron
>>>

>> HEY! I have used digital zoom as a sort of handy telescope. The human
>> brain can often make out what a distant object is even with the loss of
>> resolution imposed by digital zoom, but I don't actually take the
>> picture as the quality is way below what I expect from my camera. At
>> least I have found SOME use for the feature.

> How some you people ever managed to log onto the internet I'll never know. I bet
> you had some 5 year old to help you.
>
> You don't lose ANY resolution by using digital zoom. Most times you just don't
> gain any. It depends on the camera. Sometimes there is an increase in
> resolution. Though slight, it is measurable. It all depends on how digital zoom
> is being implemented in that particular camera model.

No. You NEVER gain resolution with digital zoom. I was a computer
professional for 40 years, so I didn't need much help to get logged onto
the internet, thanks. And I have been taking photographs for about 55
years, and using digital cameras for about 6 years. If you think that
digital zoom, even the 'enhanced' versions improve resolution, it is you
who needs help.